2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
Maybe Timberlake knows/has heard something we haven't. Or other schools wanting Timberlake are spreading rumors to that effect (about L leaving).

Dang gossip girls. Slow your rolls with the S&M mental *********ion for just half a second, would you please?

Coach L will be here next year. Coach Caputo is not necessarily such an absolute certainty... he will be a head coach sooner or later. Hope we get him back for at least one more year...

I don't believe Walton ever visited here.

FWIW, one of the local Minnesota reporters believes that the Timberlake commitment caused Miami to back off on Walton (he gave this commitment as the reason Walton didn't visit here, at least). So Walton may be off the board from our perspective. Not the worst thing in the world - I like Walton, but if there was only going to be one spot, I'd rather have Timberlake of the two. UNC is likely out of it as well, so Walton should be staying out of the ACC.

That makes no sense because they are two different players. Timberlake is a facilitator or scorer while Walton is a shooter. The comparison would be Walton with Cross and Timberlake with Lane.

I agree with you that Carolina is out so that would give Miami an edge. I don't know why they would not want another shooter unless the last two scholarships are going to be used on bigs. That kinda does not make sense because they would have take Curbelo if he would have committed.

Advertisement

Matt Cross looks really good. His timing on blocks is great. Him + Nysier should be a formidable frontcourt.

Matt Cross, SF, Brewster
Cross, a 6-foot-6 wing prospect, has an impressive mental make-up and plays with a physicality and toughness that you don’t see from many high school players. He simply makes winning plays. That was evident in Brewster’s come from behind win over Fork Union, where Cross seemingly grabbed every important rebound. Cross is also a very good shooter off the catch. He has good mechanics, an effortless looking stroke and good range.
Recruiting: Signed with Miami

Last edited:

That last sentence is 100% correct about Miami. I hope the Charleston Classic was an eye opening experience for Coach L and he makes every effort to add two frontcourt players in the 2020 recruiting class.

And no, I don't think Nysier Brooks alone will be the answer to the Miami frontcourt problem next season.

Advertisement
Did we ever find out with certainty what's going on with Timberlake?

He will sign with Miami during the late signing period as long as there is not a coaching change at Miami. He is committed to the idea of Coach L being his head coach. He does not have any visits planned to any other schools and he states he is committed to Miami under those circumstances.

He will sign with Miami during the late signing period as long as there is not a coaching change at Miami. He is committed to the idea of Coach L being his head coach. He does not have any visits planned to any other schools and he states he is committed to Miami under those circumstances.
Just worried that after watching how terrible we continue to play, it'll scare him off and he'll sign elsewhere.

We've been completely run off the court against every opponent with a pulse so far. There aren't too many top 50 recruits that are volunteering to go to programs in that situation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks to JB7FTW for posting the Matt Cross video on post# 767.

From what I watched and the two boxscores I posted from the National Prep Showcase, Matt Cross is a 6'6 small forward and not a stretch forward per Coach L. Matt is definitely closer to 6'6 than 6'8 as he is shorter than his 6'7 teammate Terrance Clarke. Matt rebounds well for a 3 man but he does not fix Miami's issue at the 4 and 5 spot for next season.

Miami needs to be all in on Cliff Omoruyi, Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho at this point as they must land two of those three for next season.

Just worried that after watching how terrible we continue to play, it'll scare him off and he'll sign elsewhere.

We've been completely run off the court against every opponent with a pulse so far. There aren't too many top 50 recruits that are volunteering to go to programs in that situation.

He and Matt Cross will bring some toughness to the team. I am not concerned about that at all. The biggest issue is the 4 and 5 spot. My thought is Coach L will try to sell the notion that the frontcourt will improve next season when Nysier Brooks is eligible instead of using the last two scholarship on two freshman bigs. Nysier will help but he is closer to Rodney Miller than Vernon Carey Jr. Just being honest.

He and Matt Cross will bring some toughness to the team. I am not concerned about that at all. The biggest issue is the 4 and 5 spot. My thought is Coach L will try to sell the notion that the frontcourt will improve next season when Nysier Brooks is eligible instead of using the last two scholarship on two freshman bigs. Nysier will help but he is closer to Rodney Miller than Vernon Carey Jr. Just being honest.
I just can't fathom this reasoning by L and Staff. Everyone and their mother knows NCAA games are usually won by the bigs. How he is okay with being complacent in regards to what we have is scary. Once again, it all comes down to laziness IMO.

Advertisement
I just can't fathom this reasoning by L and Staff. Everyone and their mother knows NCAA games are usually won by the bigs. How he is okay with being complacent in regards to what we have is scary. Once again, it all comes down to laziness IMO.

In fairness, Coach L should have had a backup plan in the event that Rodney and Sam do not take the next step he is so confident that they would take. That is why I wanted Miami to add two grad transfer bigs last summer in the event Rodney and Sam do not step up.

At this point, let's hope Coach L does not make the same mistake again. Miami has two available scholarship for next year and Coach L needs to add two freshman big to the roster. Nysier Brooks alone does not solve the issue.

MIAMI
mmi.png

k1mdzciiphlhlrompobl

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
MATT
CROSS

RANK
N/A
6'8" | 225 LBS | PF
BREWSTER ACADEMY
WOLFEBORO, NH
CLASS OF 2020

SIGNED LOI
9/3/2019
MIAMI (FL)

It is going to be another relatively middling year in Coral Gables but help is on the way. Earl Timberlake is an absolute dog that will infuse plenty of toughness into the Hurricanes, but so too will Matt Cross. He is a gritty dude that can shoot, put the ball on the floor, defend and win practically every 50-50 ball. Cross might not have super high upside but he does possess attributes that will push the Hurricanes higher up within the ACC’s pecking order.

Kerwin Walton update?

ooed0xjnzf1ojoigvpex

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
KERWIN
WALTON

RANK
N/A
6'5" | 195 LBS | SG
HOPKINS
MINNETONKA, MN
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Kerwin Walton
is done with his visits and is now in decision-making mode. He completed his official visit tour to Vanderbilt last week, and has already been to the campuses at Arizona, Cal, Creighton, Iowa State, Miami, Minnesota and North Carolina. Walton is one of the top shooters in the 2020 class that possesses quality size on the perimeter. Selecting a clear favorite has never been the easiest with Walton, which became that much more difficult when his stock took off thanks to a slew of tremendous performances in July.

I would expect a college commitment in the coming weeks. By Dec. 1, he will have gone three weeks after completing his official visits. Arizona remains my FutureCast selection and I feel fairly confident.

Advertisement
Back