2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement

The Miami engineering program may be a deciding factor in the decision process of Cliff Omoruyi. I think Chris Lykes majors in engineering.

Last edited:

Given the injury to Deng Gak along with the slow development of Rodney Miller plus the uncertain contribution of Nysier Brooks, I would expect the Miami coaches to visit Cliff during the 14 days off between games due to exams. Cliff, Dylan Cardwell or Daniel Batcho have become huge priorities due to the struggles of our frontcourt.

Advertisement
We have also recently offered the kid who decomitted from Georgetown Terrence Williams

That would not help our need in the frontcourt. Williams is similar to Kerwin Walton to me. If Rodney, Sam and Deng were playing the way Coach L advertised then they would be needed. Unfortunately, Miami really does not need anymore perimeter players. IMO.

It is good to see the coaches are still on the recruiting trail but their focus should be on two bigs. IMO.

Last edited:

nrix1gnlbkzajsbunlje

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
EARL
TIMBERLAKE

6'5" | 205 LBS | SF
DEMATHA
HYATTSVILLE, MD
CLASS OF 2020

VERBAL COMMIT
11/4/2019
MIAMI (FL)

Earl Timberlake found a comfortable landing spot. No one loves bigger guards or wings more than Jim Larranaga and with him sitting courtside along with the rest of his Miami coaching staff, he had to love what he had to see in his future standout. While his jumper remains a work in progress, Earl Timberlake looks more than ready to step in and immediately stabilize the Hurricanes’ perimeter. He is a fastbreak initiator that can play out of the post thanks to his size and strength, defend a number of positions and make the winning plays when it is asked of him. Timberlake is a good one and will continue to be in college.

Great news on multiple fronts. Earl played well and most feel he is definitely coming to Miami. The entire coaching staff was there to watch him along with a lot of other good players at that event. Miami needs to add two bigs for the 2020 recruiting class and start getting official visits from players in the 2021 class. Miami will turnover its roster over the next two years as 9 scholarships will be available over that time period.

That would not help our need in the frontcourt. Williams is similar to Kerwin Walton to me. If Rodney, Sam and Deng were playing the way Coach L advertised then they would be needed. Unfortunately, Miami really does not need anymore perimeter players. IMO.

It is good to see the coaches are still on the recruiting trail but their focus should be on two bigs. IMO.

Maybe we're just assuming we'll never have a top tier front court, so our best bet is to have elite backcourts and hope we can piece together the frontcourt with transfers and developmental types.

Programs like Miami almost never have good front courts. We've landed many more BC guards/wings than bigs. The blue bloods typically attract the elite frontcourt talent.

From that lens, I understand trying to stack perimeter talent vs bigs.

Advertisement
If I remember correctly they told Cross he would play the 3 more then the 4, which would make sense if they are going for the kid from Georgetown who is a power forward.

Is that where Lykes went to HS?

Advertisement
We need big men in the worst way. Remaining eligibility or not, we cannot rely on Miller or Waardenburg next year. Neither belong at a P5 school or mid-major.

After the Terrance WIlliams decommit, where do you think he is most likely to end up?

Michigan. Terrance Williams made noise last week by backing away from his commitment to Georgetown. Many believed that it was directly connected with the recent transfers that hit the program but really, those departures just made it that much easier for Williams to decommit.

The Wolverines have made majors moves with Williams already. Word is that Juwan Howard completed an in-home visit with him on Sunday and that Williams could potentially visit Ann Arbor at the end of the month. Michigan is also selling the idea of having both Williams and his travel teammate,
Hunter ****inson, join up as Wolverines next season.

Notre Dame is making a similar pitch as the Fighting Irish remain a finalist for ****inson and should have a chance with Williams seeing that they were a finalist for him the first time around. DePaul could receive a visit from Williams, too, as could UCLA, while Alabama is expected in to see him on Wednesday.

Williams is entirely open with his newfound recruitment. He sits as one of the best available prospects heading into the winter and should have no shortage of interest between now and the late period.

Advertisement
I watched the DeMatha vs MVA game. Granted he was up against Scotty Barnes (commit=FSU) and some other top talent, but I was seriously disappointed in what I saw out of Earl. Had high high hopes here, but too often he looked like Lykes on a bad night. Hope it was just one of those things. I like that Scotty, too bad we missed.

I was pretty surprised Dylan Cardwell didn’t sign with a school during the early signing period. It sounded like he was getting really close to choosing Georgia towards the end of the signing period, but he never put pen to paper to do it. Miami, Tennessee, UConn and Vanderbilt have been involved with him as well. Tennessee would be the one to watch here along with Georgia from what I’ve heard.

Miami NEEDS two bigs in the 2020 recruiting class. Bigs being 6'10 and above. Between Cliff Omoruyi, Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho, Miami would fill that need with any two of the three players. Any combination of the three would work. I would probably say Cliff Omoruyi is the priority as he is the best shot blocker of the three. All three rebound very well and they are athletic.

Advertisement
Back