2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
They've only been one place -- Maryland. They are true frosh. From today's Baltimore Sun.

"Twin brothers Makhi and Makhel Mitchell committed to the Maryland men’s basketball earlier than most — before their junior year at Wilson High in Washington.

The 6-foot-10 power forwards, who were often subbed for each other throughout the first dozen games of their college career, are now leaving sooner than any Terp in recent memory — after less than two months.

It was a “mutual decision,” according to a joint statement released by the team Friday night. Maryland coach Mark Turgeon and the Mitchells put their names in the NCAA transfer portal, the statement continued.

“I want to thank Makhel and Makhi for their contributions to the program,” Turgeon said in the statement. “This was a decision we felt was best for both sides and we wish them and their family the very best moving forward.”

From SB Nation (when they were in HS):

"Makhi garners a four-star ranking as the No. 18 center and the No. 67 overall player in the class of 2019, per the 247Sports Composite. Makhel was a four-star when he committed, as well, but has since been re-ranked as a three-star, clocking in at No. 28 at his position and No. 155 in the class. According to the twins, while their games are similar, Makhel is more of a traditional big man, while Makhi’s game is a little more modern.

“I prefer [to play] like back to the basket, like bullying and all that,” Makhel told Testudo Times at Maryland Madness on Oct. 26. “But [Makhi is] more like finesse. ... We both can do all things, but those are just some key factors about us.”

Great discussion about the use of the last two scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class and how it could effect our roster management in the future.

IMO, I still prefer to use the last two scholarships on two freshman bigs. It is more of a need for the 2021-22 season than next season (2020-21) due to both Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks both being seniors. I am sure Coach L will feature those two more than the two freshman bigs that will sign with Miami in the Spring of 2020.

For example, let's say Cliff Omoruyi and Dylan Cardwell commit to Miami. This is how the roster looks over the next two years.

2020-21 Miami basketball roster projection.

Point Guards: Chris Lykes (SR) and Isaiah Wong (Soph)
Shooting Guards: Kam McGusty (SR) and Harlond Beverly (Soph)
Small Forwards: Earl Timberlake (FR) and Matt Cross (FR)
Power Forwards or Stretch Forwards: Sam Wardeenburg (SR), Deng Gak (RS-JR) and Anthony Walker (Soph)
Centers: Rodney Miller (SR), Nysier Brooks (SR), Cliff Omoruyi (FR) and Dylan Cardwell (FR)

2021-22 Miami basketball roster projection.

Point Guards: Isaiah Wong (Jr)
Shooting Guards: Harlond Beverly (Jr)
Small Forwards: Earl Timberlake (Soph) and Matt Cross (Soph)
Power Forwards: Anthony Walker (Jr) and Deng Gak (RS-SR)
Center: Cliff Omoruyi (Soph) and Dylan Cardwell (Soph)
Also add in 5 more freshman and this would complete the roster.

Given that Deng Gak has had two season ending knee injuries and he still needs to gain weight and strength, you really don't want to be in a situation where you are relying on him to play heavy minutes and contribute at a high level. We are experiencing that with Rodney Miller this season and I really don't want to go through this again. As you project and look at the roster over the next two years, it is easy to see that two bigs are necessary and the priority to improve the team going forward.

Of course, the irony is that if Scottie Barnes and Andre Curbelo would have committed to Miami, I would probably tell you that we will address this issue next year as we have more than enough talent to win now. Unfortunately, that is not the scenario and given the current status of the roster, two bigs is the best course of action for the last two scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

The Mitchell twins (Makhi and Makhel), both 6'10 forwards from DC, are leaving the Maryland Terps. If they were good enough to be recruited by Turgeon, I'd guess they could play in our frontcourt. Think one was averaging 3 ppg and the other 1 ppg. But ... they were playing in a Top 10 team's rotation as true frosh.

I am not totally against the idea but I would only take them as sit out transfers if Miami misses on Cliff Omoruyi, Dylan Cardwell, Terrance Williams and Daniel Batcho.

I guess that would make them the fifth and sixth option to the use of the last two scholarships in the 2020 recruiting class.

Honestly, as I think about it more. I am somewhat against them coming because they have started their transfer clock right now by entering the portal so they can be eligible next season. Next season, Miami probably has less playing time available for them than Maryland if they were at Maryland. From what I have seen of the Mitchell twins, they are not that much better than Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks. I am confused by their decision to transfer as they should be starters at Maryland next season and beyond.

Last edited:

The way Cliff runs the floor, rebounds and blocks shots would take Miami to another level.

Last edited:
Advertisement

When Earl Timberlake pulls up for three in transition, it does looks somewhat like James Harden. No, I am not comparing him to James nor am I saying he is the next James Harden.

Once you get past the fact that Terrance Williams is an undersized big, you realize that he is a good player. Unfortunately, most people don't get past the undersized part.

Earl's jumpshot seems to be improving. He and Matt along with Chris, Isaiah, Kam, Harlond, Anthony and Sam probably means Miami will probably have some games where they attempt 30 or more 3 pointers. As long as they make more than 12 then I am fine with it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Kind of expect him to end up back in the Midwest, but would love to see us at least make contact with him. Averaged 16 PPG, 5.7 RPG, and shot 44.1% from 3 in 2018 (his sophomore year). He missed all of last year and all of this year due to injury, however.

Advertisement

Miami is not in the final 5 for Cliff Omoruyi. That now leaves Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho on the board.

Rodney and Nysier leave after next season and Deng Gak after that so two bigs are definitely needed this year.

Miami is not in the final 5 for Cliff Omoruyi. That now leaves Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho on the board.

Rodney and Nysier leave after next season and Deng Gak after that so two bigs are definitely needed this year.

Out big man recruiting is atrocious.

Out big man recruiting is atrocious.

I can aleeady see Coach L selling the fanbase that the team will be better with Nysier Brooks being eligible and Rodney Miller coming back for his final year of eligibility.
Signing two big men now is needed for the 2021-22 season. That is when Nysier and Rodney will be gone with Deng Gak being the only player over 6'10 on the roster.
Signing Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho gives Miami 13 players on scholarship and depth on the roster to survive injuries during the season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back