2020 Recruiting.

When I watch Timberlake I don't see a young guy that will come in and dominate from the start like we saw from Lonnie & Bruce. Hope I'm wrong but I think he is a 2 or 3 year development player.

Advertisement
When I watch Timberlake I don't see a young guy that will come in and dominate from the start like we saw from Lonnie & Bruce. Hope I'm wrong but I think he is a 2 or 3 year development player.
You thought Lonnie "dominated" from the start? I didn't see that. He was drafted, rightly, based on potential, not performance.

You thought Lonnie "dominated" from the start? I didn't see that. He was drafted, rightly, based on potential, not performance.
Showed incredible flashes at moments as a freshman and dominated at times.

Edit: Dominated wasn't a good word to describe. Opposing defenses had to plan for him every game.

Lonnie floated thru the air like a butterfly from day 1, fluid AF. I got hard watching (no, not that, and I don't like his hair or politics, lol.)

Earl doesn't do me like that, and reminds me more of Lykes with his "frenetic" drives and moves. A good coach might make him a superstar, definitely potential and definitely a step up from today's roster... but I tend to agree with ABU95.

I hope and wish our coaching staff are actively recruiting like this to fill the open scholarships Miami has available for 2020.

Advertisement

3. Earl Timberlake
mmi.png

nrix1gnlbkzajsbunlje

-
NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
EARL
TIMBERLAKE

RANK
N/A
6'5" | 205 LBS | SF
DEMATHA
HYATTSVILLE, MD
CLASS OF 2020

VERBAL COMMIT
11/4/2019
MIAMI (FL)

Maybe Earl Timberlake is considered a finished product because of his physical stature, but the best is still ahead for the top 30 prospect. A tough-nosed guard/wing who can play three positions on the offensive end and arguably every spot on the defense side - outside of the center position - Timberlake is the model of versatility. He impacts the game in a variety of ways and has been a lead contributor for Mike Jones’ famed DeMatha Catholic High program for the past three years.

Headed to Miami in the fall, Timberlake is going to be the guy to get the Hurricanes moving in the right direction. The rest of the nation might not get the chance to see him in Houston in March, but you can bet that he will garner plenty of attention when he begins playing for the Canes.

Did Timberlake ever officially sign with us? I'm still worried he's looking at this disaster of a season and will decide to back out of his commitment, hence why he didn't sign back in November.

Did Timberlake ever officially sign with us? I'm still worried he's looking at this disaster of a season and will decide to back out of his commitment, hence why he didn't sign back in November.

No. His commitment is strictly based on Coach L being the head coach of the Hurricanes next season. As long as Coach L is still the head coach, he will sign after the season during the late signing period.

No. His commitment is strictly based on Coach L being the head coach of the Hurricanes next season. As long as Coach L is still the head coach, he will sign after the season during the late signing period.
From what I recall, I don't believe Coach L was mentioned; just coaching changes in general. Leads me to believe it might even be Caputo. And then there is this at 247:
Capture666.PNG

Maybe it amounts to the same thing an I'm just being nit picky

Advertisement
From what I recall, I don't believe Coach L was mentioned; just coaching changes in general. Leads me to believe it might even be Caputo. And then there is this at 247:
View attachment 110137
Maybe it amounts to the same thing an I'm just being nit picky

Good point. Either way, Miami is in good shape with Earl coming. What the coaching staff need to do is add two high school senior bigs and bring in a 4 freshman class for next season.

With 13 scholarship basketball players, Miami is an NCAA tournament team.

Advertisement
Lonnie floated thru the air like a butterfly from day 1, fluid AF. I got hard watching (no, not that, and I don't like his hair or politics, lol.)

Earl doesn't do me like that, and reminds me more of Lykes with his "frenetic" drives and moves. A good coach might make him a superstar, definitely potential and definitely a step up from today's roster... but I tend to agree with ABU95.
All good if Earl turns into a four year college player. With one and dones like Lonnie, we got very little (if you wanna be honest); the Spurs or some other pro team will reap the true benefit of his talent. He may have "floated through the air" great here at UM, but he was hardly a knock down shooter or scorer, from any range. Very good, but hardly great or a difference maker.

All good if Earl turns into a four year college player. With one and dones like Lonnie, we got very little (if you wanna be honest); the Spurs or some other pro team will reap the true benefit of his talent. He may have "floated through the air" great here at UM, but he was hardly a knock down shooter or scorer, from any range. Very good, but hardly great or a difference maker.

He had his moments, but what I will remember most is him dribbling the ball off himself in crunch time in the NCAAT.

Advertisement

RECRUITING NOTE: Latest on available four-star 2020 big man
q4iqbrtiq0hbofmamwwf

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
DYLAN
CARDWELL

6'10" | 230 LBS | C
MCEACHERN
POWDER SPRINGS, GA
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Dylan Cardwell

Dylan Cardwell (https://rivals.com)

Dylan Cardwell’s recruitment appeared to be close to a commitment back around the Early Signing Period, but then the period came and went without him signing. It’s been very quiet surrounding his recruitment since then.
I spoke with him on Thursday night for a quick update. He said the same four schools remain in the mix: Georgia, Miami, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. He has taken official visits to all four schools already and appears to be happy with his current list. He mentioned hearing that Auburn could come calling soon.
So why did his recruitment go quiet? Cardwell, who originally went to Evans High School near Augusta (Georgia), spent his junior season at Oak Hill Academy before coming back to Georgia to attend McEachern High School for his senior year. He’s run into eligibility issues with the Georgia High School Association, which has taken his attention away from the recruiting process.
With regional tournaments starting next week followed by the state tournament the week after, it’s looking unlikely he’ll get to play his senior year at this point. But whenever the season ends, that is likely when he’ll move forward with trying to pick a school. He sounds genuinely torn between the schools, but I’ve always heard from various sources that Georgia and Tennessee are really strong here.

So he has already visited Miami officially, it would be nice if the coaches visit with him again and try harder to get a commitment from him.

RECRUITING NOTE: Latest on available four-star 2020 big man
q4iqbrtiq0hbofmamwwf

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
DYLAN
CARDWELL

6'10" | 230 LBS | C
MCEACHERN
POWDER SPRINGS, GA
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Dylan Cardwell

Dylan Cardwell (https://rivals.com)

Dylan Cardwell’s recruitment appeared to be close to a commitment back around the Early Signing Period, but then the period came and went without him signing. It’s been very quiet surrounding his recruitment since then.
I spoke with him on Thursday night for a quick update. He said the same four schools remain in the mix: Georgia, Miami, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. He has taken official visits to all four schools already and appears to be happy with his current list. He mentioned hearing that Auburn could come calling soon.
So why did his recruitment go quiet? Cardwell, who originally went to Evans High School near Augusta (Georgia), spent his junior season at Oak Hill Academy before coming back to Georgia to attend McEachern High School for his senior year. He’s run into eligibility issues with the Georgia High School Association, which has taken his attention away from the recruiting process.
With regional tournaments starting next week followed by the state tournament the week after, it’s looking unlikely he’ll get to play his senior year at this point. But whenever the season ends, that is likely when he’ll move forward with trying to pick a school. He sounds genuinely torn between the schools, but I’ve always heard from various sources that Georgia and Tennessee are really strong here.

So he has already visited Miami officially, it would be nice if the coaches visit with him again and try harder to get a commitment from him.
Just based on that article I don't like our chances with him.

Just based on that article I don't like our chances with him.

I agree only because it sounds like Miami has stopped recruiting him. Maybe I am bias but I feel with the right push, he would commit to Miami. I know Miami has two open scholarships but I don't know if Georgia and/or Tennessee has any open scholarships.

Digging deeper at Georgia, Tennessee and Vanderbilt:

Georgia's current roster: https://georgiadogs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Georgia's incoming recruiting class: https://uga.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2020

Georgia is using all of their scholarships this season. They have 2 seniors and Anthony Edwards is turning pro. They have a 4 player recruiting class so technically, they have more players than scholarships. I assume someone else is turning pro or transferring, that puts them at 13 with no room for Cardwell.

Tennessee's current roster: https://utsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Tennessee's incoming recruiting class: https://tennessee.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2020

Tennessee is in a similiar position. They have 2 seniors and no on who I know of who is projected to turn pro. They have a 3 player recruiting class so technically, they have more players than scholarships. Someone will either transfer or turn pro but that puts them at 13 scholarship players without a scholarship for Cardwell.

Vanderbilt's current roster: https://vucommodores.com/sports/mbball/roster/

Vanderbilt's incoming recruiting class: https://vanderbilt.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2020

Vanderbilt has two seniors on the roster and potentially 1 player turning pro. They have a one player incoming recruiting class. It seems they are also out of scholarships as it seems they are already at the 13 scholarship player limit.

By the process of elimination, it seems as though Miami is the only school in his final 4 that has a scholarship available for him. I am not sure what the hold up is but Miami should get a commitment out of him with the right push.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back