2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
We need bigs. Why not go after the 7'2 center kai sotto ? I know he will be interested

I have not seen Miami associated with him but it is worth a try.
The biggest question is would he be comfortable playing behind Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks next season or even taking a redshirt year.
IMO, I think Coach L is going to start one of those two and the other is the primary backup. Any other bigs would probably be a starter the following year when Deng Gak is the only big(6'10 or taller) on the roster.
I am not saying I agree with it, I am saying based on what I have seen from Coach L, this is what I expect.

Either way he likes to work hard and he is patient. He still has room to grow into his frame. He is a big body and shoots very well.

They should look at him. It's worth a try

I have not seen Miami associated with him but it is worth a try.
The biggest question is would he be comfortable playing behind Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks next season or even taking a redshirt year.
IMO, I think Coach L is going to start one of those two and the other is the primary backup. Any other bigs would probably be a starter the following year when Deng Gak is the only big(6'10 or taller) on the roster.
I am not saying I agree with it, I am saying based on what I have seen from Coach L, this is what I expect.
Unless you play four perimeter guys, you're still gonna want to put two bigs on the floor at the 4 and 5 positions. Miller can only play the 5 (and only at one end of the floor). Can Brooks play the 4? Gak can play there but he's an injury waiting to happen and has shown no ability to be able to stay in the mix.

Unless you play four perimeter guys, you're still gonna want to put two bigs on the floor at the 4 and 5 positions. Miller can only play the 5 (and only at one end of the floor). Can Brooks play the 4? Gak can play there but he's an injury waiting to happen and has shown no ability to be able to stay in the mix.

No Brooks is strictly a 5

Advertisement

For the record, I completely agree the last two scholarships should be used on two high school senior bigs. That should be the priority over any transfers. Adding Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho would give Miami a great roster for next season and set Miami in a great position for continued success for the following season.
Miller and Brooks are strictly 5s. Sam, Anthony and Deng will be playing the 4.
Coach L will probably feature Rodney and Nysier next season as we all know how he loves older teams and playing seniors.
Signing two bigs is more important for two years from now when Deng is the only big on the roster.

I know why you'd want HS bigs over xsfers but, let's face it, we aren't exactly in a recruiting position to dictate HOW we acquire a couple big men.

That is a matter of your ability to sale. I would be selling the opportunity to learn or redshirt for a year to get stronger along with work on your conditioning and skillset. After that year, you have a great opportunity to be a starter or player of major minutes for the next three to four years.
Plus, Miami has available scholarships so somebody will take that opportunity.

@CaneIsland........Of course, I think he is a good fit. The question remains and I don't have an answer to the question. Have the coaching staff offered him a scholarship and how hard are they recruiting him for a commitment.

Advertisement
@CaneIsland........Of course, I think he is a good fit. The question remains and I don't have an answer to the question. Have the coaching staff offered him a scholarship and how hard are they recruiting him for a commitment.

They havent offered but they should n will have a great shot if they do. He is improving every week. I would love him to be a cane rather Kentucky

They havent offered but they should n will have a great shot if they do. He is improving every week. I would love him to be a cane rather Kentucky

I completely agree. Kentucky as not offered from what I have read either. He took an unofficial visit to Kentucky but they never offered him the scholarship. Depaul, Georgia, Georgia Tech and maybe Auburn are the only schools I know of who have offered him a scholarship. This is why I don't understand how Miami does not have 13 scholarship players. Between Kai, Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho, Miami should have easily completed the recruiting for this recruiting cycle and already have 13 scholarship players for next season.
I don't know why Coach L wants to wait to view the transfer market and not use the scholarships when he cannot get a transfer.

I completely agree. Kentucky as not offered from what I have read either. He took an unofficial visit to Kentucky but they never offered him the scholarship. Depaul, Georgia, Georgia Tech and maybe Auburn are the only schools I know of who have offered him a scholarship. This is why I don't understand how Miami does not have 13 scholarship players. Between Kai, Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho, Miami should have easily completed the recruiting for this recruiting cycle and already have 13 scholarship players for next season.
I don't know why Coach L wants to wait to view the transfer market and not use the scholarships when he cannot get a transfer.

I don't understand this. Why rely on the transfer market? There a handful of good players every year we dont recruit that goes to horrible schools because we rely on transfers.
Does he have no patience in developing? If not hire staff that is. We need changes asap

I don't understand this. Why rely on the transfer market? There a handful of good players every year we dont recruit that goes to horrible schools because we rely on transfers.
Does he have no patience in developing? If not hire staff that is. We need changes asap

What Coach L says and what he does are becoming two different things. In last weeks interview, he stated his preference is to hold a scholarship for a potential transfer. Last year and right now, Miami has two left. The problem becomes when he does not get a transfer, he does not use the scholarship creating depth issues on the roster.
In fairness, there are close to 100 kids in the transfer portal right now and coaches technically don't have to wait until the end of the season to recruit transfers.
With 5 seniors already on the roster for next season, it would be a lot easier to get commitments from 2 of the 3 players (Dylan Cardwell, Daniel Batcho or Kai Sotto) and be done with 2020 recruiting.
If a coach truly wants to develop players then he would use all of his scholarships each year with the 12th and 13th scholarships being used for players who need to redshirt to improve their skill set, strength and conditioning to become a better player.
Unfortunately, coaches talk player development but they don't use all of their scholarships because they don't think a player will develop into a contributor to the team.
Coach L and Mike Brey at Notre Dame have the same issue. They only want to coach older teams but they don't use all of their scholarships.
You cannot get older unless you use your scholarships.

Advertisement
What Coach L says and what he does are becoming two different things. In last weeks interview, he stated his preference is to hold a scholarship for a potential transfer. Last year and right now, Miami has two left. The problem becomes when he does not get a transfer, he does not use the scholarship creating depth issues on the roster.
In fairness, there are close to 100 kids in the transfer portal right now and coaches technically don't have to wait until the end of the season to recruit transfers.
With 5 seniors already on the roster for next season, it would be a lot easier to get commitments from 2 of the 3 players (Dylan Cardwell, Daniel Batcho or Kai Sotto) and be done with 2020 recruiting.
If a coach truly wants to develop players then he would use all of his scholarships each year with the 12th and 13th scholarships being used for players who need to redshirt to improve their skill set, strength and conditioning to become a better player.
Unfortunately, coaches talk player development but they don't use all of their scholarships because they don't think a player will develop into a contributor to the team.
Coach L and Mike Brey at Notre Dame have the same issue. They only want to coach older teams but they don't use all of their scholarships.
You cannot get older unless you use your scholarships.

Its seems like he is playing lotto or just plain lazy. He has gotten lucky before but he needs to rethink his strategies.

There is so much potential in developing. If it's not working get a better staff. I like womens team so much better.

Saying Gak is an injury waiting to happen is like saying Jeff Bezos is a billionaire waiting to happen.

Its seems like he is playing lotto or just plain lazy. He has gotten lucky before but he needs to rethink his strategies.

There is so much potential in developing. If it's not working get a better staff. I like womens team so much better.

The roster building strategy is this simple:

1. High School senior(3 year process starting in state then go national finish global)

2. Grad Transfer (Short term fix to add player to the roster and have the scholarship available for the following season)

3. Regular Transfer(Sit out and develop but only if 12 scholarship players are already on the roster).

Building a team through transfers is what new coaches do to win immediately as they try to establish recruiting relationships. After 10 years at a school, a coach should be filling all scholarships with high school seniors every year as they should have established recruiting relationships with their state, nationally and internationally.

Advertisement

It sounds like Georgia Tech and Auburn have made him a priority. Probably a bigger priority for Georgia Tech. It sounds like he is a backup option for Kentucky if Cliff Omoruyi goes to Rutgers or somewhere other than Kentucky.

Advertisement
Back