2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
If we offer kai we have a shot. I would hate it if he goes to gaytech

@Da_Lucky_One
Quick question did we finally offer zaire wade? If so what's our status. Not only he is getting better, it should bring more excitement to our program. In which will help recruiting

If we offer kai we have a shot. I would hate it if he goes to gaytech

@Da_Lucky_One
Quick question did we finally offer zaire wade? If so what's our status. Not only he is getting better, it should bring more excitement to our program. In which will help recruiting

Unfortunately, I have to say no as I have not read any information about Miami and Zaire Wade.

Advertisement

I was trying to figure out does this confirm they are out of basketball scholarships.
If they are then it helps Miami with Dylan Cardwell.

Wow I dont understand our staff. He showed interest, it's worth a scholarship

At this point, I would say no for these two reasons.

First, with Lykes, McGusty, Beverly and Wong, our backcourt is pretty deep next season and minutes are going to be limited beyond those four. Zaire is not better than any of those four guys so at best, he would need to redshirt to wait one year when more playing time is available. If he wants to do that.
Second and this is why it is a bad idea. After next season, Deng Gak is the only big (6'10 or above) on the roster. It would be best for Miami to use the last two scholarships for next season on two bigs. Yes, next season they will be behind Rodney, Nysier, Sam, Anthony and Deng but after next season, Anthony and Deng will be the only bigs with Deng being the tallest. Redshirting both would be ideal and beneficial for everyone. Unfortunately, given his injury history, no one should expect Deng to be a heavy contributor.
IMO, that is why getting commitments from Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho is more important than signing Zaire Wade.

Advertisement
@Gables Canes @Allabouttheu95

Recruiting is really about your current and future view of your roster. I think Coach L is a good coach. I think Jim Larranaga struggles as a roster management coordinator (or general manager).
Two weeks ago, Coach L was asked about the roster and the depth issues. His response was "we tried, we really tried" as he expressed his desire to hold a scholarship for a transfer. My issue with that is he had two scholarships and when he could not get his regular transfer, how come he did not use those two scholarships on grad transfers so he has depth for this season and the scholarships are available for the upcoming recruiting class. Saying we tried is a poor excuse when you consider there were over 800 regular transfers and 150 grad transfers in the transfer portal. It is very hard to believe he could not find two grad transfers who could contribute to the team this season.
So looking forward to this Spring, lets say the coaching staff does not change and Earl Timberlake signs. That gives Miami a pretty good team (11 scholarship players) on paper for next season with 2 scholarships left. As I mentioned earlier, the roster screams for two bigs. However, Jim Larranaga is going to hold scholarships for a potential transfer or two. Any big in the transfer portal has probably underachieved at his previous school or he is leaving due to a coaching change. Any really good big will not be in the transfer portal, more than likely, they would turn pro.
The issue is that Jim Larranaga is using a somewhat outdated approach to his roster. Taking transfers is fine but at this point in his tenure at Miami, the roster should be built with high school players first and then transfers or junior college players if you miss on a high school kid.
In this roster management situation, two high school senior bigs make more sense to me as they could redshirt for next season instead of wasting a year of eligibility not playing or playing sparingly.
Unfortunately, I have a different approach than Jim Larranaga as I would go ahead and try to get the commitment from Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho so I could be done with recruiting. I would also offer Kai Sotto in the event one of those two want to wait until after his senior season.
The goal is two bigs and you don't stop until you have achieved your goal. Saying I tried and not achieving your goal is not acceptable.

Advertisement
We have plenty of ships, is anyone scheduled for a visit?

Not that I have heard of but that does not mean someone has not already taken an official visit.
I did not know Dylan Cardwell had already taken his official visit to Miami until I read the article last week. Normally, insidetheu.com has that information listed but that was missed.
The only other recruit with a Miami offer is Daniel Batcho. I think he lives in France so his official probably will not occur until after the season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back