2020 Recruiting.

You make some good points. I was thinking we need another perimeter shooter because it doesn't look like Beverly is a great shooter and I don't think that's Timberlake's forte either.

Lykes is a great 3 point shooter but he will be a senior. Same with Kam
Wong is a good 3 point shooter but his preference is to attack.
Honestly not sure about Cross

And of course we lose DJ, and while he's in a slump, that is a lot of 3's to have to replace.

We have a lot of guards who can attack but I don't see a ton of outside shooting on the roster, especially after Lykes and Kam graduate. That is why I'd love to add a sharp shooter to next year's roster.
Lykes tends to be a better 3 point shooter off the dribble than a set 3 point shooter. Like you mentioned would love to have someone that we can kick out to that can catch and knock down 3's at a high percentage.

Advertisement
Lykes tends to be a better 3 point shooter off the dribble than a set 3 point shooter. Like you mentioned would love to have someone that we can kick out to that can catch and knock down 3's at a high percentage.
Yup. We are one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the ACC, hitting just 29% of our 3's in league play. It has quickly turned into a big weakness for us.

As soon as DJ was forced to play 35-40 every night his 3 point shooting has suffered tremendously
That's part of it, but Sam is 6/29 (21%), Bev is 7/38 (18%) Stone and Walker are a combined 4/32 (12%). The only guys who've shot well from 3 in ACC play are Lykes and most recently, Wong.

Advertisement
You make some good points. I was thinking we need another perimeter shooter because it doesn't look like Beverly is a great shooter and I don't think that's Timberlake's forte either.

Lykes is a great 3 point shooter but he will be a senior. Same with Kam
Wong is a good 3 point shooter but his preference is to attack.
Honestly not sure about Cross

And of course we lose DJ, and while he's in a slump, that is a lot of 3's to have to replace.

We have a lot of guards who can attack but I don't see a ton of outside shooting on the roster, especially after Lykes and Kam graduate. That is why I'd love to add a sharp shooter to next year's roster.

That is a valid point. You are correct. With the previously mentioned group, there is not a great 3 point shooter in the group. The four returning guys are all solid shooters who are pretty good at catch and shoot 3 point shots but not great. Of the two freshman, Cross is a legitimate knockdown shooter while Timberlake is more of a facilitator but his jump shot is improving.

That is a very good point about a shooter. I am almost split because Kerwin Walton is a 2020 recruit who is a knockdown shooter and Miami seems to have stopped recruiting him or either he has either stopped considering Miami. Maybe he sees that there are not a lot of minutes available in that rotation for him.

The health of Deng Gak is the biggest driver behind my desire to use the last two scholarships on bigs. Gak has already had two major knee surgeries and he still needs to gain strength and improve his skillset. That is a huge question mark for the only big on the roster in two years. Atleast with using the two scholarships on bigs, even if they redshirt, they will be familiar with the system even though they will not have any game experience. You would still need to add two more bigs with the 2021 recruiting class, that would give Miami five bigs plus Anthony Walker for the 2021-22 season.

Either way, Miami definitely needs those last two scholarships to continue to improve the talent on the roster. If for no other purpose, depth is enough of a reason for me.

Advertisement
Advertisement

MVP of the Championship game and a first team selection to go along with the championship. A pretty good season for Earl Timberlake.

Last edited:

nrix1gnlbkzajsbunlje

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
EARL
TIMBERLAKE

6'5" | 205 LBS | SF
DEMATHA
HYATTSVILLE, MD
CLASS OF 2020

VERBAL COMMIT
11/4/2019
MIAMI (FL)

Where he's headed: Miami
Why him? Pound for pound, Timberlake is as physically tough and strong as anybody in the class of 2020. He's gotten high-level coaching through his high school years and has always embraced the challenge on the defensive end. He'll be able to defend on the perimeter and even on the interior, thanks to his length and toughness. Tough guys see him and say to themselves, "That dude is tough."

Easily, the best freshman defender since Bruce Brown. Also, like Bruce, a guy who can facilitate your offense. I see him starting as a Freshman but it also means either Wong or McGusty will probably be coming off the bench.

Advertisement
10 man rotation of Lykes, Wong, McGusty, Timberlake, Brooks, Beverly, Waardenburg, Gak, Walker and Miller? Not too shabby.

Honestly, out of those 10, I gotta think someone leaves. Not enough PT. Especially if we add another big.

10 man rotation of Lykes, Wong, McGusty, Timberlake, Brooks, Beverly, Waardenburg, Gak, Walker and Miller? Not too shabby.

Honestly, out of those 10, I gotta think someone leaves. Not enough PT. Especially if we add another big.
Lykes, McGusty, Waardenburg, and Miller are all seniors, so why would anyone leave. Not sure about Brooks, might only have the one year.
Would not be surprised to see Lykes coming off the bench, or at least fewer minutes, Wong simply has light years more potential and probably
will be better next year.

I would add two bigs with the intent to red shirt both of them next season. Especially since Deng Gak is your only big (6'10 or above) on the roster after next season.
This is a prime example of roster management and how to properly use your scholarships.

Advertisement
Back