2020 Recruiting.

Kid bonded big time with Illinois Asst Coach Orlando Antigua. Ex-Pitt player of note who is from the Dominican. Guess that's close enough.

Wow. That's a personal blast from the past name for me. He used to show up at local PA basketball camps I went to as a kid. Sean Miller before him too. I still ended up sucking at basketball. Antigua was a good dude back then at least. Last time I heard his name he was on the Globetrotters.

Advertisement
Advertisement

**Kerwin Walton, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Hopkins (MN), takes his third official visit to California this weekend (Nov. 8-10). Walton has previously taken visits to Arizona (Sept. 26) and North Carolina (Oct. 25).

I would have preferred he visit Miami this weekend with the FAU game on Friday night and the Louisville football game on Saturday but maybe he is coming next weekend.

Previously, I read he was planning to officially visit Miami but it looks like that may not occur. I wonder if the coaching staff has stopped recruiting him.

I also wonder what is the plan for the last two remaining scholarships as they need to be used.

Clifford Omoruyi

v6eigxgwniux82hfrgwt

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
CLIFFORD
OMORUYI

6'10" | 230 LBS | C
ROSELLE CATHOLIC
ROSELLE, NJ
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Who's involved? Arizona State, Auburn, Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Memphis, Miami, N.C. State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, St. John's and Temple.
The latest: That's right, Omoruyi still has 13 schools involved and there's no certainty that he won't let others jump in. For the time being he's pretty much shut things down until after the season and we aren't expecting much movement with him anytime soon. Arizona State, Auburn and Kentucky are just a few thought to be in good position, but realistically speaking, nobody has a feel for what Omoruyi may do.

Per Rivals, Miami still has a chance if they make a push. So doe everyone else but you have to make a push.

Advertisement

RECRUITING NOTE: Dylan Cardwell update
q4iqbrtiq0hbofmamwwf

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
DYLAN
CARDWELL

6'10" | 230 LBS | C
MCEACHERN
POWDER SPRINGS, GA
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

It appears to be getting down to crunch time in the recruitment of four-star big man Dylan Cardwell out of Georgia. The 6-foot-10 center has taken official visits to Georgia, Tennessee and Vanderbilt in recent months. Miami has also been in the mix and makes up the final four for Cardwell.

I’m told that it’s not a done deal that he will sign early, but that it is definitely possible. The school getting the most buzz as the signing period approaches is Georgia, but it certainly wouldn’t be wise to rule out any of the other schools. I’m also told he really enjoyed his visit to Tennessee last month and the Vols could be a real player. His recruitment is one I’ll be tracking closely over the next couple weeks.

Getting him on campus for an official visit will let me know how serious both sides are. There is playing time available in the frontcourt and Miami has two available scholarships.

Previously, I read he was planning to officially visit Miami but it looks like that may not occur. I wonder if the coaching staff has stopped recruiting him.

I also wonder what is the plan for the last two remaining scholarships as they need to be used.

Odd, well his recruitment seems to be all over the place. Hopefully we have other guys in mind.

Clifford Omoruyi

v6eigxgwniux82hfrgwt

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
CLIFFORD
OMORUYI

6'10" | 230 LBS | C
ROSELLE CATHOLIC
ROSELLE, NJ
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

Who's involved? Arizona State, Auburn, Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Memphis, Miami, N.C. State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, St. John's and Temple.
The latest: That's right, Omoruyi still has 13 schools involved and there's no certainty that he won't let others jump in. For the time being he's pretty much shut things down until after the season and we aren't expecting much movement with him anytime soon. Arizona State, Auburn and Kentucky are just a few thought to be in good position, but realistically speaking, nobody has a feel for what Omoruyi may do.

Per Rivals, Miami still has a chance if they make a push. So doe everyone else but you have to make a push.
Bleh, I never like our chances when Kentucky is in the mix. Especially in these wide open recruitment's.

Advertisement
There are occasions where the Crystal ball is wrong.

Of course there are. I don't think Lonnie Walker had a CB to Miami and you know where he signed. But those examples are exceptions, not the rule.

And if you're expecting more of those than less to break Miami's way then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Of course there are. I don't think Lonnie Walker had a CB to Miami and you know where he signed. But those examples are exceptions, not the rule.

And if you're expecting more of those than less to break Miami's way then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I am saying, Crystal balls are not a 100% guarantee.

Projected roster for the 2020-21 season:

Projected Starters
PG Chris Lykes, SG Kam McGusty, SF Earl Timberlake, Stretch F Sam Wardeenburg and C Rodney Miller.

Bench
PG Isaiah Wong, SG Harlond Beverly,, SF Matt Cross, F Anthony Walker, PF Deng Gak and C Nysier Brooks.
Actually, Beverly and Timberlake could switch.

There are 2 Scholarships left for the 2020-21 season. Miami has scholarship offers out for SG Kerwin Walton, C Cliff Omoruyi, C Dylan Cardwell and PF Daniel Batcho. None of them has scheduled an official visit at this point nor have they set a commitment date.

I realistically think Miami has the best chance of getting commitments from C Dylan Cardwell and/or PF Daniel Batcho. However, it may be in the best interest of whoever gets the 12th and 13th scholarship to take a redshirt year in 2020-21 because I don't see enough playing time being available that would be worth using a year of eligibility. Miami needs to avoid another Rodney Miller situation where a guy waste two years sitting before redshirting to work on strength, conditioning and skillset.

Of course, Miami could use the last two scholarships on sit-out transfers but I don't want to wait a year for them to get kicked off the team.

Next season, Miami will have 5 seniors on the roster (Chris Lykes, Kam McGusty, Sam Wardeenburg, Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks). I do feel Miami will use the last two scholarships this season since Miami will have 5 available scholarships for the 2021 recruiting class.

Advertisement
Projected roster for the 2020-21 season:

Projected Starters
PG Chris Lykes, SG Kam McGusty, SF Earl Timberlake, Stretch F Sam Wardeenburg and C Rodney Miller.

Bench
PG Isaiah Wong, SG Harlond Beverly,, SF Matt Cross, F Anthony Walker, PF Deng Gak and C Nysier Brooks.
Actually, Beverly and Timberlake could switch.

There are 2 Scholarships left for the 2020-21 season. Miami has scholarship offers out for SG Kerwin Walton, C Cliff Omoruyi, C Dylan Cardwell and PF Daniel Batcho. None of them has scheduled an official visit at this point nor have they set a commitment date.

I realistically think Miami has the best chance of getting commitments from C Dylan Cardwell and/or PF Daniel Batcho. However, it may be in the best interest of whoever gets the 12th and 13th scholarship to take a redshirt year in 2020-21 because I don't see enough playing time being available that would be worth using a year of eligibility. Miami needs to avoid another Rodney Miller situation where a guy waste two years sitting before redshirting to work on strength, conditioning and skillset.

Of course, Miami could use the last two scholarships on sit-out transfers but I don't want to wait a year for them to get kicked off the team.

Next season, Miami will have 5 seniors on the roster (Chris Lykes, Kam McGusty, Sam Wardeenburg, Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks). I do feel Miami will use the last two scholarships this season since Miami will have 5 available scholarships for the 2021 recruiting class.

If Walker isn't starting over Waardenburg I will be disappointed. He already looks pretty good and as a sophomore he should be even better. Nysier should also probably start over Miller. Walker+Brooks is a far more athletic front court than Waardenburg+Miller. Wong and Beverly should also take big leaps and the freshmen will contribute off the bench. In a couple of games we'll probably know if Gak will ever amount to anything.

I must confess despite popular wisdom (other than JB7FTW), I would feel more optimistic about a 20-21 starting line-up of Wong, Beverly, Timberlake, Cross, and Brooks :)

If Walker isn't starting over Waardenburg I will be disappointed. He already looks pretty good and as a sophomore he should be even better. Nysier should also probably start over Miller. Walker+Brooks is a far more athletic front court than Waardenburg+Miller. Wong and Beverly should also take big leaps and the freshmen will contribute off the bench. In a couple of games we'll probably know if Gak will ever amount to anything.

I agree with you but Coach L sees the team a little differently. Those are my projections of what Coach L would probably do.

Advertisement
Back