2019 QB Michael Johnson Jr radio Interview

That don't apply to me.

From the jump, I was hoping we went after another QB other than Sitkow & wanted him dropped for several months. Casey Thompson, DTR, Jarren & Justin Rogers were QB's I mentioned numerous times when discussing other options ahead of Sit.

Time is on our side being that it's still really early & crootin' season doesn't start til Dec-Jan, so we can always get someone else if MJJ doesn't commit.

Time is on our side, and I'm not here to say the sky is falling, but an eyebrow is definitely raised. It never made a whole lot of sense that we basically shut down QB recruiting last year for a long stretch of time, when there were talents available like DTR and others. Did we even send Fields a Christmas or Valentines Day card, much less really go after him? To me, it's kind of shaping up like malpractice.

Same goes for this year. It's seeming pretty obvious that kids aren't afraid to commit to a school that is recruiting two QB's. So why are we doing it in a way that no one else is?

Yeah, there's time, and I definitely am not calling you out here, LC, just saying that, if we're all completely honest with ourselves, we would prefer our QB recruiting to be on a more aggressive and higher level than we have seen so far.

And this is just me, but it's year three. I expect to see MUCH better play out of our QB position this year, or there had better be a real good reason to not think that we need to go a different direction in that department.

Advertisement
Yeah Last year MANY MANY people were wanting to drop sits and go with another option. Personally I heard of Jarren, but wasn't really thinking about going for him over Casey Thompson or DTR.

Because we focused only on Sitz for too long and it was too late to go after those other guys by the time we smelled the coffee. We got lucky with Jarren.

Because we focused only on Sitz for too long and it was too late to go after those other guys by the time we smelled the coffee. We got lucky with Jarren.
ay I'm one of the ones that thinks we were lucky as ****, and it wasn Jon Richt "recruiting expertise" that got us a good qb last class. So I'm with ya.

So, if we miss on MJJ... that to me says a lot about lil' Richt and the job he's doing.

Dude got the job through straight nepotism. If he can't land THE GUY... what exactly do we have him on staff for?

Obviously he's not getting fired, but if I have any one gripe with CMR, it's giving his very inexperienced son this much responsibility.

His very inexperienced son, who probably wouldn't even have the experience he does, if he were not his son.
1 potential miss and you want him fired? It’s recruiting you don’t get everyone you target period and I dont Care if you are Nick Saban. Sh*t happens

Advertisement
1 potential miss and you want him fired? It’s recruiting you don’t get everyone you target period and I dont Care if you are Nick Saban. Sh*t happens

Plus, it's not always on the position coach. I truly doubt Jon has all the say in QB recruiting.

I literally said "obviously he's not getting fired" and you take from that "I want him to be fired." Reading comprehension much?

No. I didn't want him to be hired in the first place. There's a difference.

Plus, it's not always on the position coach. I truly doubt Jon has all the say in QB recruiting.

Say has nothing to do with it. He flew to Oregon like 8 times and doesn't appear to be landing the guy. His job is to land and develop QB's. Looks like he's gonna be 1/2 on landing (and the competition for Williams wasn't as strong as he was a bit underrated) and is anyone on here going to stand on a soap box and preach about how good a job he's done developing Rosier?

Our QB recruiting strategy has me a little concerned. I don’t like putting all your eggs in one basket. It may bite them in the *** now. Last year, this staff may have gotten lucky with Williams but that may not occur again. On the other hand, if there is a year we don’t need a QB is this one.

If Tai is as good as advertised and was interested in Miami, it’s incredibly disappointing we didn’t pursue him.

Advertisement
The interview with at FSU should of told you he wasn't coming. He didn't seem impressed with Miami despite countless coaches visits and (un)official visits.

IMO people are overreacting a bit about Richt Jr. He kept Perry and got Williams. 2/2. He got the most out of Rosier the problem is Rosier wasn't that talented to begin with. He got a limited QB who didn't even seem to have a good work ethic to play above his weight. Rosier was suppose to be those QBs who transfer to Alabama State or Akron to finish his football career because he doesn't have power 5 talent.

Also there is 5 months left &football season to go. There are going to be late bloomer (cough cough Jarren Williams). MJ seems dead set on going elsewhere so I would stop wasting resources on him and go back evaluating guys under the radar.

Say has nothing to do with it. He flew to Oregon like 8 times and doesn't appear to be landing the guy. His job is to land and develop QB's. Looks like he's gonna be 1/2 on landing (and the competition for Williams wasn't as strong as he was a bit underrated) and is anyone on here going to stand on a soap box and preach about how good a job he's done developing Rosier?

Sounds like he's done everything in his power to land him. The real criticism is why we're not recruiting anyone else. And my guess is that decision isn't solely on Jon if it all.

The interview with at FSU should of told you he wasn't coming. He didn't seem impressed with Miami despite countless coaches visits and (un)official visits.

IMO people are overreacting a bit about Richt Jr. He kept Perry and got Williams. 2/2. He got the most out of Rosier the problem is Rosier wasn't that talented to begin with. He got a limited QB who didn't even seem to have a good work ethic to play above his weight. Rosier was suppose to be those QBs who transfer to Alabama State or Akron to finish his football career because he doesn't have power 5 talent.

Also there is 5 months left &football season to go. There are going to be late bloomer (cough cough Jarren Williams). MJ seems dead set on going elsewhere so I would stop wasting resources on him and go back evaluating guys under the radar.

Typical the FSU interviews are one sided

Advertisement
Honestly this feel like a Pedo State, Miami, and Oregon State battle.

And the fact he still hasn't OV to Oregon State worries me because he can get immediate playing time there and still be close to home.

Honestly this feel like a Pedo State, Miami, and Oregon State battle.

And the fact he still hasn't OV to Oregon State worries me because he can get immediate playing time there and still be close to home.

I think he's realized in the coaching business they don't stay in the same place for long so I wouldn't use close to home as a factor but the immediate PT is the only thing Oregon State has going for them. Isn't their head coach about to leave for one of the new pro league teams??

Advertisement
Sounds like he's done everything in his power to land him. The real criticism is why we're not recruiting anyone else. And my guess is that decision isn't solely on Jon if it all.

I personally don't care, one bit, that we're not recruiting anyone else. The fact of the matter is that if we put all our eggs in one basket, and lost, someone didn't do their job as well as they could/should have.

Now, many coaches who actually have experience coaching can get a pass. But we all know Richt Jr. wouldn't have this job if not for Richt Sr. If he can't win the battle for his #1 (and ONLY) guy... what's he doing on the staff? Helping Rosier get a 52% completion rate?

The dude is going to have to really show something in 2018 to justify his position on the staff.

I personally don't care, one bit, that we're not recruiting anyone else. The fact of the matter is that if we put all our eggs in one basket, and lost, someone didn't do their job as well as they could/should have.

Now, many coaches who actually have experience coaching can get a pass. But we all know Richt Jr. wouldn't have this job if not for Richt Sr. If he can't win the battle for his #1 (and ONLY) guy... what's he doing on the staff? Helping Rosier get a 52% completion rate?

The dude is going to have to really show something in 2018 to justify his position on the staff.

He flipped Jarren Williams last year u doink. If MJJ doesn't wanna be here it's not for a lack of effort. Kid just didn't wanna be here that's all.

Time is on our side, and I'm not here to say the sky is falling, but an eyebrow is definitely raised. It never made a whole lot of sense that we basically shut down QB recruiting last year for a long stretch of time, when there were talents available like DTR and others. Did we even send Fields a Christmas or Valentines Day card, much less really go after him? To me, it's kind of shaping up like malpractice.

Same goes for this year. It's seeming pretty obvious that kids aren't afraid to commit to a school that is recruiting two QB's. So why are we doing it in a way that no one else is?

Yeah, there's time, and I definitely am not calling you out here, LC, just saying that, if we're all completely honest with ourselves, we would prefer our QB recruiting to be on a more aggressive and higher level than we have seen so far.

And this is just me, but it's year three. I expect to see MUCH better play out of our QB position this year, or there had better be a real good reason to not think that we need to go a different direction in that department.

All of this. I'm not hating on Richt Jr so much for this one miss as his body of work to this point, relative to the job he has and how qualified (read: not qualified) he was to get the job.

I will GLADLY eat crow of Rosier turns into a serious baller this season... but I seem to be among the majority that doubts a drastic change is going to occur.

Without getting MJJ (or any legit QB recruit this cycle), there’s a possibility that we only go into 2019 with 2 scholarship QBs on the roster. Rosier graduates and once this season plays out? Whoever feels they don’t have a chance to play here will most likely transfer (Weldon or Perry). I can’t see Williams transferring knowing he can take a shirt and have at least 2 years of starting.

So that puts next year of having Williams and Perry/Weldon on the depth chart and that’s it. They need to land someone this cycle or find a way to get all 3 QBs back for 2019.

Max Johnson will early enroll.

Advertisement
Back