2019 QB Michael Johnson Jr radio Interview

I wouldn't even be mad if he misses this cycle. My problem w Richt Jr is he ONLY recruits QBs. I'd like to see him take on additional recruiting responsibilities.

That, and I have a feeling Sr. is doing most of the actual QB coaching. Which brings me back to my point initially.... why does he have the job he has?

If he's making $100K plus it's absolutely insane, and I'd wager he is.

Advertisement
That, and I have a feeling Sr. is doing most of the actual QB coaching. Which brings me back to my point initially.... why does he have the job he has?

If he's making $100K plus it's absolutely insane, and I'd wager he is.
Crazy thing is, I think he'd actually be pretty good on the trail. Put him in charge of OOS recruiting outside of the South and I think he could land a big fish or two every cycle. But yeah, seems like his position is a bit redundant right now.

The donation Mark Richt made to get the IPF going is essentially paying for Jon's salary in my book. It's the spot on the coaching staff that I feel is more of a waste, would have zero issue with him on the support staff.

Advertisement
This is just a nonsense narrative guys tell yourself to make you feel better/justify the situation. Reminds me of when the board talked itself into believing Yearby was better than Cook for a brief time.

Let me remind you the facts because that's what I'm looking at:
  • Jobe was a Miami commit
  • He was at the top of our board as NSD approached. Remember them going up to CT and tweeting pics of Sean Taylor?
I'm in no way condoning Jobes behavior (thought it was very immature myself), but in today's era you have to be able to recruit past that. And if his behavior/lack of commitment was so poor - then why still recruit him?

We missed on him and our DB coaches go out-recruited, that simple. Can't wait to hear the excuses when Jobe will sadly become an All-American.

No one said Jobe doesn’t have all American talent.
You forgot the part about him wanting someone else to take his sat as well as breaking of that POS prep school for a grade. But if it helps you cope with your obsession over Rumph by all means Finkle.

I'm not worried about what HE'S making. I'm worried about The U is paying him. There's a big difference.

How much is Richt making? Is it above or below average for a coach of his experience and stature. Do a little research.

I seriously doubt you’ve ever worried about UM’s expenses before. No....it’s more like you’re envious and it makes you angry because you think he’s getting something he doesn’t deserve. It makes you sound petty and vindictive. The green eyed monster.

The donation Mark Richt made to get the IPF going is essentially paying for Jon's salary in my book. It's the spot on the coaching staff that I feel is more of a waste, would have zero issue with him on the support staff.

But there is very little upside with him.

While if you were to find someone who had more upside and was to recruit/coach up a string of elite QBs that could win against a Clemson, then that would be worth 10 times CMRs investment in the IPF.

The upside is always infinite, so why not position yourself for the upside with every coaching role?

While if you were to find someone who had more upside and was to recruit/coach up a string of elite QBs that could win against a Clemson, then that would be worth 10 times CMRs investment in the IPF.

The upside is always infinite, so why not position yourself for the upside with every coaching role?

I'm not defending his spot on the coaching staff, just that monetarily I don't think there should be any issue from the fans considering Mark's donation.

Advertisement
I'm not defending his spot on the coaching staff, just that monetarily I don't think there should be any issue from the fans considering Mark's donation.

I understand your mindset, but I think you missed my point. A role on this coaching staff is worth more than his investment in the IPF at a pure monetarily value when you factor in opportunity cost.

Look at Dugans, I would not trade what hes done & the recruits he delivered for CMRs investment in the IPF.

One could even argue that a great QB coach would be worth even more than a WR coach. Imagine if we had the Dugan's of QB coaches and they got us Lawrence or Fields last cycle?

I understand your mindset, but I think you missed my point. A role on this coaching staff is worth more than his investment in the IPF at a pure monetarily value when you factor in opportunity cost.

Look at Dugans, I would not trade what hes done & the recruits he delivered for CMRs investment in the IPF.

One could even argue that a great QB coach would be worth even more than a WR coach. Imagine if we had the Dugan's of QB coaches and they got us Lawrence or Fields last cycle?

Fair point

How much is Richt making? Is it above or below average for a coach of his experience and stature. Do a little research.

I seriously doubt you’ve ever worried about UM’s expenses before. No....it’s more like you’re envious and it makes you angry because you think he’s getting something he doesn’t deserve. It makes you sound petty and vindictive. The green eyed monster.

And you sound ignorant and judgmental. Do YOU know how much Richt is making? No, you don't. Because it's not public information But you can pretend you do and look super cool. And as an ALUM and BOOSTER, yeah, I care about Miami's expenses. Have for a long time bud.

But hey, keep making assumptions while knowing absolutely nothing about me. Makes you look great.

This is just a nonsense narrative guys tell yourself to make you feel better/justify the situation. Reminds me of when the board talked itself into believing Yearby was better than Cook for a brief time.

Let me remind you the facts because that's what I'm looking at:
  • Jobe was a Miami commit
  • He was at the top of our board as NSD approached. Remember them going up to CT and tweeting pics of Sean Taylor?
I'm in no way condoning Jobes behavior (thought it was very immature myself), but in today's era you have to be able to recruit past that. And if his behavior/lack of commitment was so poor - then why still recruit him?

We missed on him and our DB coaches go out-recruited, that simple. Can't wait to hear the excuses when Jobe will sadly become an All-American.

Your ignorance and strong opinion is no longer surprising. You’re a borderline troll at this point.

Advertisement

Heyyy buddy. I thought I would come back to this, because I was really, thoroughly impressed with you. It's amazing someone can be self-righteous, ignorant AND hypocritical at the same time. You decided to sit in your glass house, throwing stones at me about my ignorance of University finances. While unfortunately for you, you did not do your research on me.

You "seriously doubt I have ever worried about UM's expenses before." I found your ignorance here especially remarkable. Well guess what...?

-I was also an employee of the University, in the Department of Finance.
-I was a finance major.
-I was a student body senator on the budget & finance committee, and therefore actually had a say in how The U spent its money.
-Oh, and in this role, I voted on what the University needed to do with it's stadium -- remodeling the OB or leaving.

Now, there's no way you could have known any of this. Not that you asked. But you could have done your research on me here.

You see, my very first post was exactly about how the Athletic Department makes and spends money.

Maybe you should do a little research yourself before trying to tell other people their business while being completely ignorant.

Like most corporations, finances are split up by operating departments. At the department level, everyone has a budget and a balance sheet. So the University as a whole has an operating budget, which is a combination of tuition/fees, income generated by the general endowment, and scholarships, grants, revenue from the hospital, etc. In many cases, there are specific sources of funds allocated to specific expenses. Endowed chairs, living scholars, naming donations for schools, etc. A person could give a piece of land and stipulate that it not be sold for 50 years.

Basically, there is a general pool of funds upon which to draw income, and then funding (mostly donations) with stipulations. A donor could endow the head coaching position, in theory. The donor pays $X and the HC becomes the "Rich Guy That Gave a Bunch of Money Head Coach at The U." The Living Scholars program is a good example of a stipulated donation.

Back to operations. The University has a budget, then the Athletic Dept, and then each sport. At basically every school that plays sports, the only sport that makes money is football. I'd guess Duke makes money off basketball, if anyone. As stated by other posters, there are Title IX stipulations dictating fair allocation of resources, which is an encumbrance on the football budget. Point being, the University allocates money to the Athletic Dept as a pool of funds, and will have some say as to how said funds are allocated to individual sports. As far as sponsorship, I don't know how Title IX impacts how those funds are allocated. Regardless, it stands to reason an argument can be made to allocate a greater percentage of sponsorship money to football, as it attracts by far the greatest audience, which is what the sponsor pays for.

When discussing "the University opening up its purse strings," there may be some impact as to the general allocation of funds to the Athletic Dept, as well as specifically to football, within the parameters of Title IX. But what we are likely seeing is the confluence (**** you Al Golden) of 1) a WAY better AD than we've had in a long time, 2) some increase in University funds to football, 3) increased donations, 4) the Adidas deal, 5) increased ACC revenue and 6) other factors. Basically, what we are myopically referring to as "The Administration."

Heyyy buddy. I thought I would come back to this, because I was really, thoroughly impressed with you. It's amazing someone can be self-righteous, ignorant AND hypocritical at the same time. You decided to sit in your glass house, throwing stones at me about my ignorance of University finances. While unfortunately for you, you did not do your research on me.

You "seriously doubt I have ever worried about UM's expenses before." I found your ignorance here especially remarkable. Well guess what...?

-I was also an employee of the University, in the Department of Finance.
-I was a finance major.
-I was a student body senator on the budget & finance committee, and therefore actually had a say in how The U spent its money.
-Oh, and in this role, I voted on what the University needed to do with it's stadium -- remodeling the OB or leaving.

Now, there's no way you could have known any of this. Not that you asked. But you could have done your research on me here.

You see, my very first post was exactly about how the Athletic Department makes and spends money.

Maybe you should do a little research yourself before trying to tell other people their business while being completely ignorant.

I hit the lottery with you.

Congratulations on your impressive financial run as an undergrad, hopefully you parlayed that into a lucrative post graduate career. I’m sure by now you must be a major contributor to the program.

Unfortunately, you can remove the first sentence from the second paragraph of my post, and it does not change my intent, or point, one iota.

Let me repost without the offending sentence. My point remains.

It’s more like you’re envious about his position and it makes you angry because you think he’s getting something he doesn’t deserve. It makes you sound petty and vindictive. The green eyed monster.

As a follow up to my original post, to all you petty buffoons worried about his salary and questions of nepotism, do this extra thing: add JR’s salary to head coach Richt’s salary, and as I stated in my original post: Is it above or below average for a coach of his experience and stature? Do a little research.

I contend it’s petty, vindictive and small minded people full of envy that are the most worried. I’d like to hear more of substance about their factual concerns with specific coaching concerns. But it’s never really that. It’s just personal attacks brimming with poorly disguised envy and spite.

And in case you don’t get it, a great way to alienate and anger a coach who we are getting on the cheap, is personal attacks on his son. The BOT/administration knew what they were doing when they hired Richt and what the conditions were. They fully accepted them. As far as the university is concerned you are a nobody in this matter, and you have no say, other than your retarded online cheering of a vindictive envy campaign.

This is premature. Who on God's green earth could have gotten more out of Malik than coach Richt? You have to let this thing play out before you start complaining, because Jarren Williams could very well be that guy.

Advertisement
Please stop overrating HS QBs! Just watch their films and disregard ratings. Johnson HS films doesn’t allow anyone to say he is a solid quarterback. He appears to be the best athlete on the with inferior talent in my opinion. He has the same potential as Perry but needs the right coaching and schemes to be effective (i.e. Tebow, Vince Young, etc). Perry has better passing skills but never developed pocket awareness nor progression sight due to the level of competition. It’s clear Williams was properly prepared, which is noticed on films. Basically, johnson is looking to sign with a team that presents a chance to play early but the coaches have not been honest with him. He may start early with FSU or Nebraska offensive schemes but he will never learn anything to prepare for NFL. Johnson and Perry can start their junior year with sound coaching. By the way, I played qb and it’s more than speed and a strong arm. The major challenges are: confidence, timing, understanding the progression process and football IQ. The best two players on roster last year were Johnson on defense and Berios on offense!

Please stop overrating HS QBs! Just watch their films and disregard ratings. Johnson HS films doesn’t allow anyone to say he is a solid quarterback. He appears to be the best athlete on the with inferior talent in my opinion. He has the same potential as Perry but needs the right coaching and schemes to be effective (i.e. Tebow, Vince Young, etc). Perry has better passing skills but never developed pocket awareness nor progression sight due to the level of competition. It’s clear Williams was properly prepared, which is noticed on films. Basically, johnson is looking to sign with a team that presents a chance to play early but the coaches have not been honest with him. He may start early with FSU or Nebraska offensive schemes but he will never learn anything to prepare for NFL. Johnson and Perry can start their junior year with sound coaching. By the way, I played qb and it’s more than speed and a strong arm. The major challenges are: confidence, timing, understanding the progression process and football IQ. The best two players on roster last year were Johnson on defense and Berios on offense!
Also, I am hoping Johnson pick Canes but he needs development like majority of college football players. It appears CMR is recruiting RPO type QBs which is the trend in college football today. However, the role of the qb doesn’t change: must be able to make quick precise decisions based on comprehension of offensive schemes and formation of defense at the line of scrimmage.

I’ve said it a few times now. Anybody who would rather live in the wilderness in State College where the best thing to do is go to a mall or watch A baseball is a werido & wouldn’t fit here anyway.

Didn't Richt Junior get Perry and Williams?

Guys not batting too poorly.

Now the staffs decision not to go after the kid committed to Clemson and put all their eggs in this kids basket is another story. People going after Richt Jr are acting silly.

Advertisement
Back