2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

In Corey Evan's twitter Tuesday I asked him about Miami's recruiting. He basically said we are done with high school recruits, and have our eggs all in for Griffin and then will look to take a grad transfer for the last spot.

Barry disagrees with part of that. In his article today, he said that we're looking for 1 high school guy, and one transfer with "multiple years of eligibility remaining." Also said we're not really interested in grad transfers since we already have 5 seniors lined up for next year.

He mentioned Griffin and Cardwell by name.

Advertisement

One of the three transfers have removed Miami from his final list. All is not lost as we wait to see what happens.

When do we ever play a good team OOC besides the Big Ten Challege?

Minnesota was ranked in 2016 when we played them. Actually, if Miami gets Rutgers this season, they are projected to be a top 25 team. Also, I thought lllinois was ranked when we played them.

Barry disagrees with part of that. In his article today, he said that we're looking for 1 high school guy, and one transfer with "multiple years of eligibility remaining." Also said we're not really interested in grad transfers since we already have 5 seniors lined up for next year.

yes I saw that and I tend to lean more towards Barry, and it does make more sense. I wonder if Griffin is planning to try and get a waiver or is he definitely sitting out next year

Thank you for the update. That sounds like a good plan. If Griffin decides to go elsewhere then I hope Miami uses the scholarship on another high school senior.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This makes sense when you realize schools are not open to students so it would be a hard sell to have athletes on campus for visits.
More virtual tours and Facetime conversations on an unlimited basis.

Seems like the most logical solution imo

That is what I figured. I always thought it would be hard to get a transfer this season as there is not really a starting position nor a lot of immediate playing time available.
That is why I thought signing Cardwell and Daniel Batcho made more sense as they could redshirt this season to prepare for the 2021-22 season.
But I also knew Coach L would not go that route until he has exhausted all of his options in the transfer market.

Advertisement
Honestly, it comes down to playing time and shots. Unfortunately, Miami does not have a lot of either available for next season. IMO.

Pretty clear these 2 spots aren't going to be filled with next year in mind.

If there's enough shots for Griffin, there's enough shots for Martin. I can't for the life of me understand why they insist on only recruiting one guy at a time. Going after both costs you nothing and allows you to hedge your bets in case one doesn't pick you. On the other hand, if you do get one, you can always tell the other thanks but no thanks.

Jim recruits with one arm tied behind his back.

Minnesota was ranked in 2016 when we played them. Actually, if Miami gets Rutgers this season, they are projected to be a top 25 team. Also, I thought lllinois was ranked when we played them.
I said besides The ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

Pretty clear these 2 spots aren't going to be filled with next year in mind.

If there's enough shots for Griffin, there's enough shots for Martin. I can't for the life of me understand why they insist on only recruiting one guy at a time. Going after both costs you nothing and allows you to hedge your bets in case one doesn't pick you. On the other hand, if you do get one, you can always tell the other thanks but no thanks.

Jim recruits with one arm tied behind his back.

Maybe he goes by the feel he gets from the initial conversation to determine how far to go with the recruitment.
Most transfers are looking for more playing time, more shots and an expanded role as they audition for the pros.
I don't think Coach L would mislead a prospect to believing Miami something that it is not.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I still prefer two high school bigs but let's see how this plays out. Coach L wants to work the transfer market.

I still prefer two high school bigs but let's see how this plays out. Coach L wants to work the transfer market.

He's a really good player, but not sure his recruitment will be worth tracking from our perspective as much as we could use him - his uncle is an assistant coach at Minnesota, and early buzz is that he will end up there. If not there, then most likely it would be Iowa (his home state and I guess he grew up a Hawkeye fan). Would be very surprised if it wasn't one of those two schools.

Well, he wanted to play in the ACC and wear orange, just not at Miami.
I actually thought Dayton was the favorite since his dad and Anthony Grant coached together in the NBA at OKC.
Now that Miami is 0 for 3 in the transfer portal, can we just go ahead and get commitments from Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho to set the roster for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back