2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Well, he wanted to play in the ACC and wear orange, just not at Miami.
I actually thought Dayton was the favorite since his dad and Anthony Grant coached together in the NBA at OKC.
Now that Miami is 0 for 3 in the transfer portal, can we just go ahead and get commitments from Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho to set the roster for the upcoming season.

Yes let's just snap our fingers and get commitments already

Advertisement
Yes let's just snap our fingers and get commitments already

Let me clarify my statement. Instead of spending time recruiting transfers at our positions of strength, the coaching staff should be improving our position of weakness, which is our frontcourt.
That is where the focus should be right now.

Well, he wanted to play in the ACC and wear orange, just not at Miami.
I actually thought Dayton was the favorite since his dad and Anthony Grant coached together in the NBA at OKC.
Now that Miami is 0 for 3 in the transfer portal, can we just go ahead and get commitments from Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho to set the roster for the upcoming season.

THIS is why you don't stop recruiting Martin and Burton. How many times do they have to make this mistake before they learn?

Advertisement
THIS is why you don't stop recruiting Martin and Burton. How many times do they have to make this mistake before they learn?

Recruiting Martin, Burton or Griffin never made sense to me from this standpoint. Those three guys all play a position where Miami already has a starter for the 2021-22 season.
Wong, Beverly, Timberlake figure to be the starting wings for the 2021-22 season. None of those three guys are better than they guys already on the roster.
IMO, no one transfers to sit or come off the bench. Players transfer for more minutes and more shots.
Not unless the coaching staff thinks someone is turning pro after this season, this was always a waste of time. IMO.

How much you wanna bet we don't use all 13 spots this year?

It is too early to tell. It would have been easier if Miami would have went ahead and closed on Dylan Cardwell along with Daniel Batcho so they could focus on getting a head start on the 2021 recruiting class.

Recruiting Martin, Burton or Griffin never made sense to me from this standpoint. Those three guys all play a position where Miami already has a starter for the 2021-22 season.
Wong, Beverly, Timberlake figure to be the starting wings for the 2021-22 season. None of those three guys are better than they guys already on the roster.
IMO, no one transfers to sit or come off the bench. Players transfer for more minutes and more shots.
Not unless the coaching staff thinks someone is turning pro after this season, this was always a waste of time. IMO.

What exactly have Wong, Beverly, and Timberlake done to prove they're deserving of a starting spot yet? They might be good in the future, but Burton and Griffin are already good now.

It is too early to tell. It would have been easier if Miami would have went ahead and closed on Dylan Cardwell along with Daniel Batcho so they could focus on getting a head start on the 2021 recruiting class.

It probably isn't wise to dedicate FIVE roster spots to one single position. Not that it will likely end up mattering though, since we don't seem to have any momentum at all with either right now.

Advertisement
What exactly have Wong, Beverly, and Timberlake done to prove they're deserving of a starting spot yet? They might be good in the future, but Burton and Griffin are already good now.

Even if they were eligible for the upcoming season, Coach L would not start them over Lykes and McGusty due to his loyalty to seniors.

Advertisement
Currently, Deng Gak is the only 5 on the roster past this season.

Need I say more.

If we take 1 more this year (frosh or transfer), and 1 in next year's recruiting class, we'll be fine. Can also try for a grad transfer if need be (****, they may even eliminate the sit-out rule altogether by then).

If we take 1 more this year (frosh or transfer), and 1 in next year's recruiting class, we'll be fine. Can also try for a grad transfer if need be (****, they may even eliminate the sit-out rule altogether by then).

You make a valid point.

My thoughts are driven by the success Coach L has had with his two best teams at Miami. The 2013 and 2016 team. The makeup of those teams roster included one PG, one CG, 5 big wings (6'4 and above) and 5 bigs (6'10 or taller and 230 lbs or bigger). Granted, those teams also had 5 seniors in the mix which is not going to be duplicated every year, the structure of the roster can be made in this image every year.
I would have counted the 2018 team but the injury to Bruce Brown never allowed that team to reach its fullest potential.

Advertisement
High thoughts:

If we were to recruit an ACC transfer, let's use Jalen Carey as an example, the conventional wisdom is that he would have to redshirt the year, but still lose a year of eligibility, meaning he would be a senior for the 2021-22 season (Carey just finished his sophomore year at Syracuse).

If we got a waiver from the NCAA to get him immediately eligible though, and then just didn't play him all year, would we have a redshirt sophmore at the end of it, or would he still be rising senior?

Advertisement
Back