2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Some people on here don’t agree with that like @FeartheReaper

I certainly don't think we should be going after grad transfers when we have 5 seniors. Guilty as charged. I also think 11 capable scholarships players is more than enough to achieve our goals. Again, guilty as charged.

We've already attempted to get a transfer to sit out (Griffin) and that's the right move. Otherwise, we should be focusing on the 2021 class.

Advertisement
Hi
From Florida fwiw, but I'm not sure why he'd have a "long list of high-major suitors" with numbers like that. I guess he's better than nothing though.

6'11 helps. He is from Florida but he needs to add weight. I would expect him to transfer to UCF for his last two years.

Sure a larger roster can be helpful at times, but I'm sorta bummed at desirability of a "better than nothing" player. We have/had a few. Seems at times they are in the game, I find myself wishing we instead had "nothing" out there.

Advertisement
Would wanna know how his game compares to Miller's.

A few things:

1. I would love to take a kid like Castleton for numerous reasons

- He is a big man
- He has to sit out next season
- He can develop, sit on the bench and get ready for 2021-22

2. Given we have two scholarships available and given our history in using them, seems like a no brainer. He needs to gain some weight and develop a lot more.

3. As for his game compared to Miller's game, see below. He clearly moves better than Miller, but that isn't saying much. He also can shoot.

4. Although it doesn't matter anymore, here is what he did in HS (in Florida):

• Finalist for Florida Dairy Farmers Mr. Basketball Award (2018); finishing eighth in voting
• Florida Association of Basketball Coaches (FABC) 7A Player of the Year (2018)
• Daytona Beach News-Journal Player of the Year (2018), All-Area first team (2017, '18), third team (2016)
• Orlando Sentinel 7A Player of the Year (2018), All-Area first team (2018), honorable mention (2016, '17)
• All-USA Today Florida Boys Basketball second team (2018)
• Nominee for the McDonald's All-American game (2018)
• As senior (2017-18), led Father Lopez to an 11-win improvement guiding the Green Wave to an 18-9 record just missing the 7A playoffs, averaging 24.5 points, 11.7 rebounds (ranked second in area) and 5.6 blocks
• As junior (2016-17), averaged 23.3 points, 11.0 rebounds and 5.4 blocks, leading Father Lopez to a 7-16 record
• As sophomore (2015-16), moved to varsity team and averaged 15.3 points, 10.3 rebounds and 4.5 blocks

Maybe Castleton would thrive here; apparently, Michigan's frontcourt is a logjam of talent.

Excerpted from the "Michigan Digest":

Castleton floundered (under first-year coach Juwan Howard). Perhaps not physically strong enough to play the '5' and not versatile enough to play the '4, Castleton was simply the odd-man out for the Wolverines this past season.

Would his role have changed in the future? It's possible. He probably could use a redshirt, though Howard will always be recruiting top-tier talent to Ann Arbor and a year off may not unclog the '4' and '5' at all.

As for Castleton's skill set and what Michigan loses - there were always flashes he could be a low-post offensive threat ... and Castleton was a good shooter (he made 82.8% of his 29 free throws this season) but he wasn't a player that could put the ball on the floor and create a shot for himself outside a four- to six-feet from the rim, limiting his range and opportunity ....

This could be pretty big if true. Not sure if it helps us a lot, but it should be interesting especially since we need transfer help badly next year.

Advertisement

Still working the transfer market. I don't have a problem with it. My only thought is has the coaching staff focused so much on transfers that they have stopped recruiting 2020 prep players?

Still working the transfer market. I don't have a problem with it. My only thought is has the coaching staff focused so much on transfers that they have stopped recruiting 2020 prep players?

His numbers... kinda stink. Why him? Would love to know why the passed on Josh Morgan in favor of him. ****, I'll take the dude from Michigan over him.

Advertisement
Sure a larger roster can be helpful at times, but I'm sorta bummed at desirability of a "better than nothing" player. We have/had a few. Seems at times they are in the game, I find myself wishing we instead had "nothing" out there.

The way things are shaping up, the "nothing" option is playing 7 guys for the third time in four years. Predictably, it didn't work out so well the first two times we tried it. Pick your poison I guess.

Alternatively, they could just find several players that are actually good at basketball. For whatever reason though, that option doesn't seem to be on the table.

Advertisement
As of today (4-12-20), we have two open scholarships and our track record has been atrocious, in terms of filling the class. I am still unclear as to whether or not all transfers are "immediately" eligible or whether you can choose (e.g. if we take a player with two more years and he hasn't had a redshirt, can we choose to redshirt him this year).

With that said, if we can take one transfer who MAY be immediately eligible, take Makhtar Gueye. He is a quality transfer and he looks a little like Kadji out there. Then you have him, Brooks and Walker (a year older). This would be a tremendous upgrade over what we had last year.

If we can choose a kid to sit out, take Colin Castleton and redshirt him. Make him a project and develop him. Try to get him ready for 2021-22.

He's not bad at all, I'll take him.

Half his highlight reel is just him making dare-you-to-shoot-it jumpers against teams I've never heard of. Considering he's a career 26% shooter from 3, I'm not sure that profile's gonna work in the ACC...

In any case, if we're getting a big, we need him to be a rim protector first and foremost. Doesn't look like this guy fits the profile.

Half his highlight reel is just him making dare-you-to-shoot-it jumpers against teams I've never heard of. Considering he's a career 26% shooter from 3, I'm not sure that profile's gonna work in the ACC...

In any case, if we're getting a big, we need him to be a rim protector first and foremost. Doesn't look like this guy fits the profile.

I mean you have to understand he's probably one of those guys who started playing ball late and is a bit of a project. His 3pt% has gone up incrementally every season, and we don't really even need him to be a high volume 3pt shooter. He also shot 77% from the FT line last seaosn so that's pretty good. Hopefully Cross can be the shooting 4, Gueye is more of just an energy guy to fill minutes. He's not a top priority and will probably keep similar numbers if he does come here, but ideally you want Walker to be that more athletic lob threat/stretch 4. We lack a true 5 other than Rodney and Brooks, and Gak has gotten injured way too much to rely on him. Gueye would just add depth where it's needed.

Advertisement
Back