2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
Jimmy boy is content on rolling with a guy who hasn’t played in a year, two guys who shouldn’t be on a power 5 roster, and a guy who has had 2 major knee injuries in back to back seasons.

Jimmy boy is content on rolling with a guy who hasn’t played in a year, two guys who shouldn’t be on a power 5 roster, and a guy who has had 2 major knee injuries in back to back seasons.
Who says he's 'content'? It's early April. Season doesn't start for another 6 months (hopefully). Go have a beer.

Who says he's 'content'? It's early April. Season doesn't start for another 6 months (hopefully). Go have a beer.
It’s my opinion because his roster management over the last couple of years has been brutal so yea part of me thinks he’s content with what big men are on the roster. Kiss my *** bud.

Advertisement
It’s my opinion because his roster management over the last couple of years has been brutal so yea part of me thinks he’s content with what big men are on the roster. Kiss my *** bud.

You mean roster management as in his best player was ruled ineligible a day before the season and he missed out on an entire recruiting class?

Only on this board would that be considered a roster management issue.

You mean roster management as in his best player was ruled ineligible a day before the season and he missed out on an entire recruiting class?

Only on this board would that be considered a roster management issue.
So we will just ignore last year too then?

So we will just ignore last year too then?

Missing out on an entire recruiting class doesn't just affect one season, think tank. Not having a Sophomore class was certainly one of the reasons for this year's struggles.

But apparently you think that missing out on 2-3 players in a Sophomore class can be corrected in one offseason.

Look at the 2020-21 roster. Deep and talented. Once TImberlake signs later this month, it will have taken less than 2 years to get the roster back to NCAA Tournament status.

Missing out on an entire recruiting class doesn't just affect one season, think tank. Not having a Sophomore class was certainly one of the reasons for this year's struggles.

But apparently you think that missing out on 2-3 players in a Sophomore class can be corrected in one offseason.

Look at the 2020-21 roster. Deep and talented. Once TImberlake signs later this month, it will have taken less than 2 years to get the roster back to NCAA Tournament status.
As I have said before, Miller and Sam are atrocious, Brooks had to sit out last year, Gak and Stone coming off major injuries and Gak suffered another one this year. You think he’d go out and get a grad transfer big man for last season and even this season. If Brooks goes down or gets kicked off given our luck with some transfers and if Larranaga doesn’t get another big man, then they are in the same boat as last season.

Advertisement
As I have said before, Miller and Sam are atrocious, Brooks had to sit out last year, Gak and Stone coming off major injuries and Gak suffered another one this year. You think he’d go out and get a grad transfer big man for last season and even this season. If Brooks goes down or gets kicked off given our luck with some transfers and if Larranaga doesn’t get another big man, then they are in the same boat as last season.

Why would a team with 5 seniors, two of which are bigs, need a grad transfer?

Miller and Waardenburg are rotational players on next year's team. If Timberlake is as good as advertised, both of those guys will play 16-18 minutes off the bench behind him and Brooks. If Anthony Walker improves enough then he may take some of those Forward/Wing minutes from Waardenburg, as well.

Advertisement

I think Brooks will be fine. I have no faith in Gak, based on injuries. It shouldn't be that hard to find an upgrade over Miller or Sam.
I also don't see why we wouldn't try. We have scholarships, we need more talent. I don't see what the controversy is in grabbing more talent.

If we can improve our big men, with a grad transfer, bring them in.

If we can improve our big men, with a regular transfer, bring them in.

One more thing to consider is someone may transfer/be thrown out of school. That can still happen. With that said, we have two more scholarships and history says:

Below are the numbers for the last 5 seasons (in terms of scholarships being used). The first number represents the "active" scholarships being used (those eligible to play). The second number represents the total scholarships being used.

(Active/Total Ships Used)

2019-20: 10/11 (Brooks is sitting out)
2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller redshirted)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

Average Active Scholarships/Season: 9.6
Average Total Scholarships/Season: 11.2

Advertisement
I think Brooks will be fine. I have no faith in Gak, based on injuries. It shouldn't be that hard to find an upgrade over Miller or Sam.
I also don't see why we wouldn't try. We have scholarships, we need more talent. I don't see what the controversy is in grabbing more talent.

If we can improve our big men, with a grad transfer, bring them in.

If we can improve our big men, with a regular transfer, bring them in.

One more thing to consider is someone may transfer/be thrown out of school. That can still happen. With that said, we have two more scholarships and history says:

Below are the numbers for the last 5 seasons (in terms of scholarships being used). The first number represents the "active" scholarships being used (those eligible to play). The second number represents the total scholarships being used.

(Active/Total Ships Used)

2019-20: 10/11 (Brooks is sitting out)
2018-19: 9/11 (McGusty is sitting out and Miller redshirted)
2017-18: 10/12 (Wilson sat out and Gak redshirted)
2016-17: 9/11* (Gilmore sat out but was kicked out of school during the season)
2015-16: 10/11 (Muhammad sat out)

*Waardenburg sat out 2016-17 but arrived late. He is included in the numbers even though he sat and redshirted.

Average Active Scholarships/Season: 9.6
Average Total Scholarships/Season: 11.2
Some people on here don’t agree with that like @FeartheReaper

Advertisement
Back