2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

You make it seem like they can't add bigs in the following recruiting class and the next grad transfer class. I definitely think one of the two scholarships left should go to a big and then add a grad transfer big the following year. I just think the way basketball is going we don't need as many true centers. Anthony Walker can easily play center by the time he is a junior and hopefully is improved defensively.

I am not a huge fan of small ball. It works for 5 minute increments but I don't buy stock in it long term.

Advertisement
You make it seem like they can't add bigs in the following recruiting class and the next grad transfer class. I definitely think one of the two scholarships left should go to a big and then add a grad transfer big the following year. I just think the way basketball is going we don't need as many true centers. Anthony Walker can easily play center by the time he is a junior and hopefully is improved defensively.

Honestly, I would take all quality talent. If they're a big man, cool beans. If they're a guard, cool beans.

We have open ships, we need more talent. That is it.

Keep in mind we have two open ships today, I would not be shocked if someone transfers/gets thrown out of school.

So we're in on Griffin and Maritn, 2 big wings that are rising juniors and were productive their sophomore season. Kam, Miles Wilson, and Sheldon all fit that description, noticing a pattern here.

Others who fit that profile:
Jamarius Burton
Zion Young
Trey Wertz
Trevon Taylor (if we strike out on the rest)

Confirms that Coach L is going with the Miller, Brooks and Gak rotation at the 5 spot.
Coach L probably figures he will get the same production out of all 3 that he would get out of Marfo alone.

Advertisement
So we're in on Griffin and Maritn, 2 big wings that are rising juniors and were productive their sophomore season. Kam, Miles Wilson, and Sheldon all fit that description, noticing a pattern here.

Others who fit that profile:
Jamarius Burton
Zion Young
Trey Wertz
Trevon Taylor (if we strike out on the rest)

I see the big, athletic wing pattern but if we are honest, there is a huge gap in the talent level of Sheldon Mac to Kam McGusty to Miles Wilson.
In fairness, we know big wings work at Miami under Coach L as his two best teams (2013 and 2016) had them along with 5 bigs (all 6'10 and over 230 lbs).
This is also why I don't understand how he cannot build his team every year in that image.
It ain't broke so why fix it.

Honestly, I would take all quality talent. If they're a big man, cool beans. If they're a guard, cool beans.

We have open ships, we need more talent. That is it.

Keep in mind we have two open ships today, I would not be shocked if someone transfers/gets thrown out of school.
Coach L stated in an earlier article that he has confirmed no one is leaving the program.
I agree, the team needs to upgrade the talent but part of the upgrade needs to be a rebounder or two.

I see the big, athletic wing pattern but if we are honest, there is a huge gap in the talent level of Sheldon Mac to Kam McGusty to Miles Wilson.
In fairness, we know big wings work at Miami under Coach L as his two best teams (2013 and 2016) had them along with 5 bigs (all 6'10 and over 230 lbs).
This is also why I don't understand how he cannot build his team every year in that image.
It ain't broke so why fix it.

Coach L's best teams were when we our undersized point guard was surrounded by tons of length and shooting. The Larkin team had McKinney Jones and Durand Scott as well as Kadji who could really shoot it. And the Angel team had Davon and Sheldon Mac. It is very difficult to run a ball screen offense like we do when there is no shooters on the outside. The lane gets too clogged and defenses can pack it in, when the offense is predicated on guard penetration. Teams did not respect our 3 point shooting and once DJ gassed out we essentially had 0 reliable 3 point shooters.

So far, so good.

However, I am going to watch the Miami-Illinois game from this season to see him play again.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Watched a fair amount of Illinois this year, and I would happily take Griffin if we can get him. He'd be an interesting fit. Illinois often ran with a 4-guard type of lineup, and as Griffin was one of their bigger guards and their most effective rebounding guard, he was the guard that they chose to most often put up against opposing teams forwards.

He's a very good shooter - 41.6% from 3, 86.1% free throw shooter - and, from a rebounding rate perspective, he was Illinois' 2nd best rebounder behind ****burn. Advanced stats love him - per Kenpom (this is from behind his paywall), he had the highest offensive rating (128.9) in the country by anyone deemed a 'significant contributor' to a team (which he defines as being used in at least 20% of possessions when on the court, playing at least 40% of the game). For a comparison, of our four 'significant contributors' (Lykes, McGusty, Wong, and Beverly qualify by this metric), only Lykes (at 105.6) was even above 100. Griffin also had the second lowest turnover rate on their team. However, he wasn't much of a passer once he got the ball (which may have an influence his turnover rate).

Watched a fair amount of Illinois this year, and I would happily take Griffin if we can get him. He'd be an interesting fit. Illinois often ran with a 4-guard type of lineup, and as Griffin was one of their bigger guards and their most effective rebounding guard, he was the guard that they chose to most often put up against opposing teams forwards.

He's a very good shooter - 41.6% from 3, 86.1% free throw shooter - and, from a rebounding rate perspective, he was Illinois' 2nd best rebounder behind ****burn. Advanced stats love him - per Kenpom (this is from behind his paywall), he had the highest offensive rating (128.9) in the country by anyone deemed a 'significant contributor' to a team (which he defines as being used in at least 20% of possessions when on the court, playing at least 40% of the game). For a comparison, of our four 'significant contributors' (Lykes, McGusty, Wong, and Beverly qualify by this metric), only Lykes (at 105.6) was even above 100. Griffin also had the second lowest turnover rate on their team. However, he wasn't much of a passer once he got the ball (which may have an influence his turnover rate).

Nice breakdown that is heavily influenced by Analytics. That helps but I still value the eye test.
The way you described him, he sounds like Anthony Lawrence. I am a huge fan of Amp as my only issue was that Coach L never allowed him to play the 3 as Miami did a terrible job of developing the bigs.

I am glad they found somewhere to play. I hope they play early and often.
I think this is a better fit for them.

Advertisement

Miami is not on the list of 8 schools pursuing him hard. Initially, Miami was mentioned with Burton, Martin and Griffin. Now, only Griffin has them on his final list. Interesting.

Miami is not on the list of 8 schools pursuing him hard. Initially, Miami was mentioned with Burton, Martin and Griffin. Now, only Griffin has them on his final list. Interesting.

In other news, Jim Larranaga was spotted walking down San Amaro Drive today carrying what appeared to be all his eggs in one single basket for the third time in three years.

Hope he doesn't trip (again).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back