2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

I disagree. The last 2 spots should be used solely for beefing up the 2021-2022 team. There's only 6 players projected to be on that roster;

Bev
Wong
Timberlake/Cross
Walker
Gak

While I agree we definitely need to use 1 of the last 2 spots on a true center, the final spot can be used on literally anything, which means we should take the best overall player regardless of position.
Can’t trust Gak at all because of his injuries but yes I could get behind what you are saying. I’m going with 2 big men because in 2021-2022 you could have 2 big men, Walker, and Gak who I’m putting as a ? as of now.

Advertisement

Subject to change..... But a good starting point.

From this list, Hayden Koval jumps out at me. Taking another sit 1 play 1 seems like a bad idea, but he would give us a legit 7 footer that can protect the rim for the 2021-22 season, which would be crucial. Plus he would help balance the classes since we're projected to only have 1 other senior that year.

ACC inter-conference transfer rules pretty much rule out that possibility, which sucks because there's a bunch of good ACC players in the portal.

Carey just finished his sophomore season, if he came to Miami, he'd be forced to sit out the year, but would only have 1 year of eligibility left.

I thought the inter conference rules are gone. There have been several inter conference transfers in the last few years if i remember correctly

Advertisement
Coach was quoted as saying the locker room had huge issues with "ego and attitude" and he had to play psychologist as much as coach.

7 players enter the portal including 6 scholarship players and the issue is with the players and not the coach.
Interesting.

Advertisement
Can’t trust Gak at all because of his injuries but yes I could get behind what you are saying. I’m going with 2 big men because in 2021-2022 you could have 2 big men, Walker, and Gak who I’m putting as a ? as of now.

@IncaneInTheBrain
Remember, you still have 5 scholarships available for the 2021 recruiting class to take one player at all 5 positions.
I agree with @Mklein13 with using the last two 2020 scholarships on two high school bigs because that will give Miami 8 returning players without counting on Deng Gak to start at the 5 for the 2020-21 season.
Granted, Coach L may still start him because he is the only senior on the roster, Miami should still be really good for a second consecutive season.
As long as Coach L plays the freshman but only time will tell.

Excerpt from a Wichita Eagle article on the many WSU transfers:

Marshall said he made a mistake in his roster construction, a problem that originated in the 2018 offseason when WSU graduated six seniors, Landry Shamet declared early for the NBA Draft, Reaves was a surprise transfer and C.J. Keyser was ruled academically ineligible. That forced Marshall and his staff to fill nine scholarships in one off-season.

After hitting on three guards in the 2018 recruiting class, Marshall followed that up by signing three more highly touted freshmen (guards) in the 2019 recruiting class. It was the most talented depth Marshall had ever assembled in a backcourt, which he thought would be a team strength. Instead, it became the biggest issue for the team. In trying to satisfy all of three of his point guards, Marshall in turn fully satisfied none, which led to Burton, Sherfield and Fernandes pursuing opportunities to be full-time point guards elsewhere.

“There was some inherent competition there,” Marshall said. “Maybe the sophomores thought they had done something when they made the run last year in the NIT and then all of a sudden these highly touted freshmen come in. It was very difficult to keep everyone happy. I didn’t do a very good job of managing the personalities. We basically had 13 starters. We had a lot of really, really good players. But you can’t play that many, so no one was happy.”

Advertisement

The second transfer Miami has contacted.

I like his size for a wing but man we really need to add another shooter in this spot. 32% isn’t gonna cut it.

although he looks like a sit out transfer which I’m ok with taking one. Would like the last scholly be for a grad transfer if he is sitting out.

If he wants to win next year he needs a big man who could be valuable and it would also put Miller and Sam's asses on the bench even tho L won't do that.

Coach L wants to win next season with Sam, Rodney and Nysier.
I read Coach L has already started comparing Rodney and Nysier to Reggie Johnson and Julian Gamble.
I want Coach L to find two bigs for the 2021-22 season when Gak is currently the only big on the roster.

Advertisement
I like his size for a wing but man we really need to add another shooter in this spot. 32% isn’t gonna cut it.

although he looks like a sit out transfer which I’m ok with taking one. Would like the last scholly be for a grad transfer if he is sitting out.

I prefer two bigs with the last two scholarships for 2020 because I have no interest in seeing Deng Gak start at center in 2021-22. Let's redshirt those two bigs to prepare them for the 2021-22 season.
Also, Coach L does not play freshman bigs a lot.
Let's remember, Miami will also have 5 scholarships to fill since there are 5 seniors on the 2020-21 team.
If the coaches do things correctly, they can fill all of the team's needs.

There are really no excuses for not filling those last two scholarships. I would prefer two freshman bigs as O have not seen a sit out transfer that can make an Angel Rodriguez / Sheldon Mac type of impact on the team.

He is one of the two guys Miami reached out to but I don't think they offered him a scholarship.
Let's see if Miami makes his top 10 and we will know for sure.

Advertisement
Back