2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
Jalen Carey - The Syracuse guard is in the portal and we recruited him heavily out of high school. Was going to start this year if it weren't for the injuries and is expecting a medical redshirt since he only played in 2 games. Would have 3 years left to play.

Bingo. He would be a tremendous addition for us.

We have open ships, dead weight and a need for quality big men.

We know the kid can play. The only question is will Coach L recruit him to come to Miami or is Coach L satisfied with the Miller, Brooks and Gak combo. I believe the latter is the case. I don't agree with it but Coach L is Coach L.

“A lot of different schools have reached out to me from all different levels, the SEC, Big East, ACC, a couple teams from the Big 12 but it’s been a pretty good response,” Marfo said. “It’s been going pretty well.”

The head coaches that have reached out are Texas A&M’s Buzz Williams, Florida’s Mike White, Boston College’s Jim Christian, Oklahoma State’s Mike Boynton, Georgia Tech’s Josh Pastner, Xavier’s Travis Steele and Arkansas’ Eric Musselman.

Schools that have had assistant coaches call include Wake Forest, South Carolina, Rhode Island, Georgetown, VCU, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, Memphis, Penn State, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Georgia, UConn, San Diego State, Nebraska, Arizona State, St. John’s, Wichita State, Texas Tech, Pittsburgh and Louisville.

Just my speculation but Coach L seems to be fine with the Miller, Brooks and Gak combo at the 5 spot for next season. 25 schools and Miami is not on the list anywhere.

Advertisement
Just my speculation but Coach L seems to be fine with the Miller, Brooks and Gak combo at the 5 spot for next season. 25 schools and Miami is not on the list anywhere.
My concern is that Gak has a body that may well always be heavily injury-prone. He's so damned thin. Miller, I'd never want penciled in for more than 5-6 minutes a game, max.

My concern is that Gak has a body that may well always be heavily injury-prone. He's so damned thin. Miller, I'd never want penciled in for more than 5-6 minutes a game, max.

That is a legitimate question. Gak is a huge question mark because no one knows if he is going to be healthy or what he will be able to contribute.
If he can give Miami 5 minutes per game, that is a huge bonus. I think Coach L will heavily relay on Miller and Brooks to split the minutes at the 5.
The scarier thought is that after next season, Gak is the only big (6'10 or above) on the roster.
That is why I think the last two scholarships should be on two incoming freshman bigs. That will atleast give Miami a chance for consecutive good seasons. It would be wise to redshirt them to prepare them for the following season.
Plus, I don't think Coach L would bring a big and play him over Miller and Brooks. I agree the roster needs the talent upgrade but Coach L is extremely loyal to his players. That is the complication.

Advertisement
Gotta get two bigs. Miller and Sam should be the last ones off the bench. I wish L gave Walker more time this year.

Gotta get two bigs. Miller and Sam should be the last ones off the bench. I wish L gave Walker more time this year.

I completely understand your feelings about Rodney and Sam. It is an easy opinion to form. Honestly, Coach L is loyal to his players so I fully expect both of them to start next season. Especially since Coach L loves seniors. Do I agree with it, no but this is who Coach L is.
My hope is that Nysier Brooks and Anthony Walker can split the minutes with Rodney and Sam. Hopefully, less is more with them (Rodney and Sam).
I also agree that Miami needs to add two bigs with the last two scholarships because after next season, Deng Gak is the only big on the roster.
As bad you think watching Rodney play is, watching Deng Gak could be worse. If Coach L started Rodney then there is a good chance he will start Deng.

I completely understand your feelings about Rodney and Sam. It is an easy opinion to form. Honestly, Coach L is loyal to his players so I fully expect both of them to start next season. Especially since Coach L loves seniors. Do I agree with it, no but this is who Coach L is.
My hope is that Nysier Brooks and Anthony Walker can split the minutes with Rodney and Sam. Hopefully, less is more with them (Rodney and Sam).
I also agree that Miami needs to add two bigs with the last two scholarships because after next season, Deng Gak is the only big on the roster.
As bad you think watching Rodney play is, watching Deng Gak could be worse. If Coach L started Rodney then there is a good chance he will start Deng.

Miller is not starting. Nysier is the starting center. He wasn't brought in to be a backup.

Advertisement
Miller is not starting. Nysier is the starting center. He wasn't brought in to be a backup.

I am not saying you are right or wrong. Both players average 8 points and 6 rebounds so there is no much difference.
The only thing we know for sure is that next season will be their last season.

Who cares about the seniors. You play the best players and Rodney and Sam don’t belong on a power 5 roster. You want to win and keep your job, you don’t play those two or give them a couple minutes here and there. Perfect example, look what Mick Cronin did at UCLA. He benched his two seniors because they were a train wreck and UCLA went on a run and might have gotten in the tournament.

Advertisement
I guess since the season is over. As a full week has passed and no one from Miami has entered the transfer portal nor has there been any changes to the coaching staff, I guess this is where we are.
Same coaching staff, 11 scholarship players and 2 available scholarships.
Of course, this is subject to change once I press submit.
Even though I doubt it.

Jalen Carey - The Syracuse guard is in the portal and we recruited him heavily out of high school. Was going to start this year if it weren't for the injuries and is expecting a medical redshirt since he only played in 2 games. Would have 3 years left to play.

ACC inter-conference transfer rules pretty much rule out that possibility, which sucks because there's a bunch of good ACC players in the portal.

Carey just finished his sophomore season, if he came to Miami, he'd be forced to sit out the year, but would only have 1 year of eligibility left.

I disagree. The last 2 spots should be used solely for beefing up the 2021-2022 team. There's only 6 players projected to be on that roster;

Bev
Wong
Timberlake/Cross
Walker
Gak

While I agree we definitely need to use 1 of the last 2 spots on a true center, the final spot can be used on literally anything, which means we should take the best overall player regardless of position.

Advertisement
Back