2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

In previous seasons, this would be great news. However, next season, I don't think Miami needs an immediately eligible transfer with those last two scholarships. Two high school seniors who could redshirt would be a better fit in my opinion.

Advertisement

I wonder will Coach L resist the temptation as the roster does not need another guard and small forward.

... In recent #TwitterTuesday mailbags, I have been asked a number of times for the latest on Kobe King, the transfer from Wisconsin. The junior guard averaged close to 10 points and three rebounds this season, and will bring a bevy of experience and toughness to his next stop. There is a strong chance that he would be allowed to play immediately in the fall due to the reasons that led to his transfer. The programs that have reached out to him include Arkansas, Cincinnati, Colorado, Creighton, Gonzaga, Miami, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Xavier. He is still in the early stages of his transfer recruitment.

I am not sure why the coaching staff thinks the team needs another 6'4 guard. Bigs are the biggest need.

Advertisement

... In recent #TwitterTuesday mailbags, I have been asked a number of times for the latest on Kobe King, the transfer from Wisconsin. The junior guard averaged close to 10 points and three rebounds this season, and will bring a bevy of experience and toughness to his next stop. There is a strong chance that he would be allowed to play immediately in the fall due to the reasons that led to his transfer. The programs that have reached out to him include Arkansas, Cincinnati, Colorado, Creighton, Gonzaga, Miami, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Xavier. He is still in the early stages of his transfer recruitment.

I am not sure why the coaching staff thinks the team needs another 6'4 guard. Bigs are the biggest need.

I think that has more to do with the fact that King will be a senior for the 21-22 season than because the staff wants more guards. Recently, Jim was lamenting the fact that they basically don't have a sophomore class this year. A guy like King, who will be an immediately eligible junior next year, would have helped balance the classes.

Plus, while the 20-21 team is mostly set, the 21-22 team only projects to have 6 players right now. Gotta load up for that season any way you can, which for the next 6 months means adding ballers regardless of position. You can fill in around the edges next year with freshman/grad transfers/juco guys, but in the immediate future we just need to add a bunch of good players no matter where they play. Kobe King would have fit that description.

Last edited:

We need another wing. Too many smaller guards and we are last in the ACC in shooting.

Advertisement

Given that Miami already has 5 seniors on the roster for next season, adding a grad transfer would not make a lot of sense.

Advertisement
Currently, the roster next season has Lykes and Wong at the point with McGusty, Beverly, Timberlake and Cross.
How many minutes do you think is available for another wing?

Considering we are last in the conference in 3 point shooting and we are losing the one shooter we had, we need to add another 3 point shooting wing. Also they way basketball is changing, we shouldn't be playing two traditional bigs as much if at all.

Considering we are last in the conference in 3 point shooting and we are losing the one shooter we had, we need to add another 3 point shooting wing. Also they way basketball is changing, we shouldn't be playing two traditional bigs as much if at all.

Matt Cross is the wing shooter you are looking for and Miami already does not play with 2 traditional bigs as Sam is a "stretch 4" per Coach L.

Matt Cross is the wing shooter you are looking for and Miami already does not play with 2 traditional bigs as Sam is a "stretch 4" per Coach L.

Yeah Cross is good, but if you think only 1 shooter is enough then you didn't watch this season. Also, relying on a true freshman to be our only shooter is asking for more problems. And Sam is 6'10 and does not have the quickness to guard quicker and smaller 4's which is where the game is going.

Advertisement
Yeah Cross is good, but if you think only 1 shooter is enough then you didn't watch this season. Also, relying on a true freshman to be our only shooter is asking for more problems. And Sam is 6'10 and does not have the quickness to guard quicker and smaller 4's which is where the game is going.

Shooting is a funny thing. The team is full of guys who take shots but I don't consider any of them great shooters. Even DJ. The ultimate key is who is making shots. It is more of the quality of shots instead of the ability of the shooter. I think if Miami ran a different offense that created easier shots for the players than the assist and shooting percentages would improve. JMO.

Honestly, I don't know who Sam can guard. All I know is he will be a senior next season and Coach L loves seniors so Sam will start. Even if Anthony Walker becomes Obi Toppin, Sam will start.

For the record. I am completely against taking any transfer (grad or regular) this summer because Miami already has 5 seniors on the roster. With the two open scholarships, if you take a grad transfer, now Miami will have 6 open scholarships for the following season (2020-21) with 7 returning players. Barring Earl Timberlake is not a one and done player, which would then drop that number to 6 returning players and 7 open scholarships.
6 open scholarships with Coach L and his current staff means rebuild and we as a fanbase must endure atleast two subpar seasons before a good season will occur. That will not occur because Coach L's contract will run out soon and I see no reason to give him an extension. Not because he does not deserve it but Miami needs a coach who will aggressively attack recruiting and use all 13 scholarships every year so good seasons (20 plus wins) become a norm and not an exception.

Is it a good thing if Stone and DJ are allowed to return under that special waiver being discussed? Or, would their return hurt recruiting (less potential PT for any new players).

Is it a good thing if Stone and DJ are allowed to return under that special waiver being discussed? Or, would their return hurt recruiting (less potential PT for any new players).

That is a great question. At this point, I have to say it would hurt because Coach L is going to play DJ and Keith close to 25 plus minutes per game along with those other 5 seniors. That destroys the growth and development of Wong, Walker, Beverly, Timberlake and Cross. Plus, he probably would not fill those last two scholarships to give himself 8 returning players for the 2021-22 season.
Just my opinion but let's remember who Coach L is and how he runs his team.

Advertisement
Back