2019-20 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

That is a great question. At this point, I have to say it would hurt because Coach L is going to play DJ and Keith close to 25 plus minutes per game along with those other 5 seniors. That destroys the growth and development of Wong, Walker, Beverly, Timberlake and Cross. Plus, he probably would not fill those last two scholarships to give himself 8 returning players for the 2021-22 season.
Just my opinion but let's remember who Coach L is and how he runs his team.
Key question in L's mind, I'd think, is -- will Timberlake and Cross, as unproven true freshmen, be able to provide more production on both ends of the floor than DJ and Stone would? DJ gave us 13 ppg, with Stone chipping in 5 ppg/5 rpg. Of the two, I might be more inclined to bring Stone back as he plays a position we need depth at. In the end, likely depends on who we can recruit.

Advertisement
Key question in L's mind, I'd think, is -- will Timberlake and Cross, as unproven true freshmen, be able to provide more production on both ends of the floor than DJ and Stone would? DJ gave us 13 ppg, with Stone chipping in 5 ppg/5 rpg. Of the two, I might be more inclined to bring Stone back as he plays a position we need depth at. In the end, likely depends on who we can recruit.

I know DJ went thru a slump in the latter part of the season, but his shooting is invaluable. He would've been much better if they actually ran sets for him to move off the ball for shots similar to how the Heat use Duncan Robinson. Having both guys back would be nice for depth purposes and allow us to have an actual team for the first time in years.

For the record. I am completely against taking any transfer (grad or regular) this summer because Miami already has 5 seniors on the roster. With the two open scholarships, if you take a grad transfer, now Miami will have 6 open scholarships for the following season (2020-21) with 7 returning players. Barring Earl Timberlake is not a one and done player, which would then drop that number to 6 returning players and 7 open scholarships.
6 open scholarships with Coach L and his current staff means rebuild and we as a fanbase must endure atleast two subpar seasons before a good season will occur. That will not occur because Coach L's contract will run out soon and I see no reason to give him an extension. Not because he does not deserve it but Miami needs a coach who will aggressively attack recruiting and use all 13 scholarships every year so good seasons (20 plus wins) become a norm and not an exception.

I would take that kid in a second.

For the record, I am not against seeing DJ and Stone in a Miami uniform for another season. My issue is how will Coach L handle the situation. I can easily see Coach L playing only those 7 seniors during games next season and then a situation like Wong, Beverly and Walker transfer out at mid-season. I know, it is kinda extreme but I don't know if Coach L can resist the temptation of playing those seniors 25 plus minutes a game next season.
Plus, he still needs to fill those other two scholarships with freshman, not transfers.

Advertisement
I would take that kid in a second.

As much as I want to agree with you, I have to look at the long term roster. After next season (2020-21), Miami will have these 6 players:
Isaiah Wong, Harlond Beverly, Earl Timberlake, Anthony Walker, Matt Cross and Deng Gak with 7 available scholarships.

If Coach L uses those two scholarships Miami has available for next season on two bigs and redshirts them then Miami will have 8 returning players with 5 available scholarships. Given the injury history of Deng Gak, adding two bigs to the roster is still more important to me. Partly because I don't think Coach L would start a true freshman big. Let's be honest, if healthy, Deng Gak will start because he will be a redshirt senior but we don't know how long or how productive he will be.

The kid is a good player and normally I would completely agree with you but the roster forces me to think differently.

Where did Dayton finish? #3 in the nation! Zero Top 150 recruits but a nice balanced (front and back courts) roster with the overachieving Obi Toppin kid, at 6'9, leading the way. Only two Seniors on the squad.

Not a one year wonder. Dayton is always good (going back decades) and seems to always weather inevitable coaching changes well. Anyone think we can't, or shouldn't be, be as good a program as Dayton?

Last edited:
Where did Dayton finish? #3 in the nation! Zero Top 150 recruits but a nice balanced (front and back courts) roster with the overachieving Obi Toppin kid, at 6'9, leading the way. Only two Seniors on the squad.

Not a one year wonder. Dayton is always good (going back decades) and sseems to always weather inevitable coaching changes well. Anyone think we can't, or shouldn't be, be as good a program as Dayton?

I have never figured out why more fans don't think Miami can win 20 plus games every year in basketball.

Just because no one has done it does not mean it is impossible.

I have never figured out why more fans don't think Miami can win 20 plus games every year in basketball.

Just because no one has done it does not mean it is impossible.
We pretty much have except for the last two years because of the FBI garbage and Dewan getting suspended last year

Advertisement
I like the 13 rpg from the Marfo kid. We need some rugged board players.

I agree. He would immediately be the best rebounder on the team.
The key is how loyal Coach L is to Rodney, Nysier and Sam because those three would lose minutes to him.

Advertisement

This does not surprise me as I think Coach L feels good about Rodney, Nysier and Deng being plenty of depth at the 5. You have to wonder if Miami will not pursue any grad transfers this Summer since they already have 5 seniors already on the roster. I agree with that decision but they still need to use those two remaining scholarships. Coach L would probably prefer a sit out transfer to learn his system but I think two incoming freshman bigs would be better for the roster.

Already 240 "student-athletes" are in the transfer portal. I have not seen where Miami has contacted anyone.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back