“If I went to that program I would never lose a game. They get the best athletes.” - Mike Leach

There was no outcry against Dennis Erickson?

I posted the link in an earlier post, but I'll post it again in case you missed it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-13/sports/sp-1323_1_dennis-erickson

"When his name came out, there was a tremendous amount of skepticism," said Sam Jankovich, now the New England Patriots' chief executive officer who as Miami athletic director hired Erickson. "People were wondering what I was doing."

They were doing more than wondering; they were revolting. At one point, Jankovich said he received several death threats from outraged Hurricane "fans." Such was the lunacy.

An AD getting death threats counts as a "outcry" to me.

Yes, getting a handful of letters in the mail is an "outcry".

Advertisement
This is all I needed to see:

"...he understands that in football you adapt or die. Leach would do the same because he is smart and wants to win."

Then, literally 58 minutes later:

"If Leach was at Miami he'd likely have to run something similar to what he does at WSU..."

Yes. He would have to run something similar at WSU because Miami's offensive line can't run block, but likely incorporating more TEs. I also posted the link about his desire to use TEs (which he doesn't have at WSU). He can't magically turn the Miami OL into Oklahoma's OL. However, he can still use the RBs effectively, if I'm not mistaken his RBs at TTech led the NCAA in receiving yards. A RB catching the ball for a four yard gain is better than a RB getting dropped in the backfield for a 2 yard loss- you disagree with that?

Yes. He would have to run something similar at WSU because Miami's offensive line can't run block, but likely incorporating more TEs. I also posted the link about his desire to use TEs (which he doesn't have at WSU). He can't magically turn the Miami OL into Oklahoma's OL. However, he can still use the RBs effectively, if I'm not mistaken his RBs at TTech led the NCAA in receiving yards. A RB catching the ball for a four yard gain is better than a RB getting dropped in the backfield for a 2 yard loss- you disagree with that?

The system he runs at Washington State loses four games per year. That's why you had to go with the "HE WILL ADAPT" line. Now you agree that he can't adapt, which means he will run the system that inexplicably disappears multiple times a year.

A four yard pass is better than a two yard loss. But in what world is a 37-3 loss to a terrible, unranked, hopeless team "better" than what we have now?

Handful. LOL. Yeah, I'm sure Jankovich was rattled by just a handful of letters. Hiring Erickson was so popular they were prepping the parade routes for Sam. You are really flailing here.

Do you have proof that there were a hundred death threats? A thousand? It's not out of the realm of possibility that he received four.

FYI, Dennis Erickson, the savior who is the basis of your strongest point, left us with three straight bowl losses and a slew of major violations. So, yes, thank you Sam Jankovich.

Advertisement
Zero, so we should be okay with any coach who has won zero titles. Somehow you have come to the conclusion that "Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson had no titles, therefore we should hire Mike Leach in 2018."

You guessed wrong. Dennis Erickson was the coach during my whole time at UM. FYI, there was no "outcry" in the pre-message board days.

I really don't care if you take me seriously or not. Like 100% no worries whatsoever. I'm not here to be friends or to change your mind. I'm just here to point out your stupidity.

The whole time? You mean you remember Erickson from age 1 to 4? Get real. No true Canes fan who knows the history of Miami would be totally ignorant to the fact that Erickson was an incredibly unpopular hire.

Do you have proof that there were a hundred death threats? A thousand? It's not out of the realm of possibility that he received four.

FYI, Dennis Erickson, the savior who is the basis of your strongest point, left us with three straight bowl losses and a slew of major violations. So, yes, thank you Sam Jankovich.

If Leach gets us two more championships and then leaves with a slew of major violations, I'd still consider his tenure a success. I'm still ****ed about the Shapiro scandal- if we were going to do all that cheating, couldn't we at least have won some championships?

The whole time? You mean you remember Erickson from age 1 to 4? Get real. No true Canes fan who knows the history of Miami would be totally ignorant to the fact that Erickson was an incredibly unpopular hire.

Yes, the whole time. Fall of 1990 to the spring of 1994.

You're off on a crazy tangent.

If Leach gets us two more championships and then leaves with a slew of major violations, I'd still consider his tenure a success. I'm still ****ed about the Shapiro scandal- if we were going to do all that cheating, couldn't we at least have won some championships?

Leach wouldn't be taking over the 1987-88 Miami Hurricanes. That's the beauty of Erickcoker's tenure. He took over the best program in football and left us as a 2/3 loss team while cheating.

Advertisement
Shapiro wasn't paying recruits to come to UM, he was merely partying with the kids already at UM. He told the NCAA he wasn’t able to outbid the SEC guys for new recruits because they paid to well...

Shapiro wasn't paying recruits to come to UM, he was merely partying with the kids already at UM. He told the NCAA he wasn’t able to outbid the SEC guys for new recruits because they paid to well...

Shapiro was a joke... like a grandma that slips you 5 bucks. If people knew what he really did, they wouldnt even label him a booster.

I'm starting to think you and PickleDick were homeschooled together because there is an uncanny similarity in how he ignored the stats I laid out in the offseason explaining that Rosier was a bad QB (he loved him some Rosier) and how you are ignoring the similarities between Erickson and Leach. Oh well. Fortunately Jankovich was smarter and had more balls than you apparently do. Hopefully Frenk and Blake's replacement do too.

I clicked on "show ignored content" to see that my name is still in your mouth. Good lord. Won't make that mistake again. This forum is just really f'in creepy sometimes.

Advertisement
Bolton would make a heluva dc.
well, if you Bolton at OC, he might put tactical nukes in the offensive playbook. Wouldn't that be an expansion of the playbook, not to mention a substantial innovation? Even if the defense knew we were going to call it, what defense would they call?

Keep using one hire 30 years ago as your big data point. That makes it a whole lot easier for me.

Here is the nail in your coffin: "If Leach was at Miami he'd likely have to run something similar to what he does at WSU because our OL is dogsh#t and there is no offensive advantage to getting dropped for a loss in the backfield."

NO KIDDING. That's exactly what I have been saying, and it is the system that loses 4 games every single year. My favorite part is that within about five posts, you went from "Leach would adapt his system" to "Leach would have to run the same system". Yeah, thanks for eventually agreeing with me. If you need any more tutoring, I'm here for you.

I would take Leach over Richt, any day of the week and twice on Saturdays. What he’s trying to point out is that yes, Leach would probably throw more “initially” until the OL was upgraded to a point where he could run the ball more. He hasn’t much access to good to great RB’s currently. The thought process is that if he was hired he would obtain/recruit better RB’s because of the proximity to better talent. That would induce more running into his scheme than it currently does. That’s his point if you couldn’t understand it. Yes, we may lose a couple of games but the brand of football would be a helluva lot more exciting than Richt’s offense to date. And we could secure better talent to play in that more exciting offense, including better OL, if Leach was coach.

I’m very interested in understanding that if Leach can’t change, then why expect Richt to do the same? That’s your thought process and it just relays the point of why Richt needs to go.

I would take Leach over Richt, any day of the week and twice on Saturdays. What he’s trying to point out is that yes, Leach would probably throw more “initially” until the OL was upgraded to a point where he could run the ball more. He hasn’t much access to good to great RB’s currently. The thought process is that if he was hired he would obtain/recruit better RB’s because of the proximity to better talent. That would induce more running into his scheme than it currently does. That’s his point if you couldn’t understand it. Yes, we may lose a couple of games but the brand of football would be a helluva lot more exciting than Richt’s offense to date. And we could secure better talent to play in that more exciting offense, including better OL, if Leach was coach.

I’m very interested in understanding that if Leach can’t change, then why expect Richt to do the same? That’s your thought process and it just relays the point of why Richt needs to go.

Gee, I wonder why Mike Leach can't recruit legit running backs. That's a real mystery.

So we're supposed to believe that Mike Leach, who has abandoned the running game for his entire career, will start running a more conventional offense once he gets to Miami, where running backs would LOVE to play in a system that he has never, ever run.

Advertisement
I clicked on "show ignored content" to see that my name is still in your mouth. Good lord. Won't make that mistake again. This forum is just really f'in creepy sometimes.

When someone says pickledick you automatically think it’s about you? Interesting.

Erikson has more NY6 bowl wins in his 6 years at Miami than Richt has in his 18 years as corch.

Advertisement
Back