“If I went to that program I would never lose a game. They get the best athletes.” - Mike Leach

Advertisement
These treads get away from the original point so easily.

South Florida is the hotbed for athletic football talent in the country.

A competently run University of Miami program should be in the driver's seat for at least 50% of it, while the rest of the country fights over what's left.

What that means is on any given Saturday, we should have a 5 to 1 or 5 to none athletic advantage over most of our opponents, certainly in the ACC Coastal.

Take that advantage and put it in a system like Leach's, if not his specifically, and you have a pretty darn good formula for success.

We should be on a one-way track most seasons to playing other elite programs. Instead, we're flubberdicking our way around the country against the Virginia, Duke, Georgia Tech, Boston College, whoever of the world.

It's that simple.

Last edited:
Take that advantage and put it in a system like Leach's, if not his specifically, and you have a pretty darn good formula for success.

I think this was about Leach specifically, and some of us have followed his career very closely. His type of system is great for scoring points......until it doesn't score points. That's what I've been saying for years about his system. His 50 points per game look real enticing until he loses 30-6 to unranked Colorado or 37-3 to unranked Cal. That isn't a "if he had our talent" issue. That is a system issue.

Again, there's a reason why Air Raid isn't hoisting any championship trophies.

Jagr, good point man and I agree, I didn't watch a Wazzou game until recently and was actually surprised to A) see him at least trying to run the ball, and B) he is actually playing some D. It leads me to believe that he realizes what you just said, you won't be lifting no trophies throwing the football 100 x a game, and you have to play defense. So maybe he is coming around to the FACT that you have to have balance to lift that crystal football, nobody I can remember has ever done it without good balance. Our good teams all had great balance, really great balance, more like an NFL team than a college team, we could do it all, even ST's were harass, of coarse you need the horses, but the 305 is full of them, and Texas is where you go to get the big nasty's, on both sides, Jimmy knew all about this and took advantage of it, and so would Butch with all his Cowboy ties. Get the speed from Dade and linemen from Texas its a good plan. **** I remember when we went all the way to Canada and got some big eaters

These treads get away from the original point so easily.

South Florida is the hotbed for athletic football talent in the country.

A competently run University of Miami program should be in the driver's seat for at least 50% of it, while the rest of the country fights over what's left.

What that means is on any given Saturday, we should have a 5 to 1 or 5 to none athletic advantage over most of our opponents, certainly in the ACC Coastal.

We should be on a one-way track most seasons to playing other elite programs. Instead, we're flubberdicking our way around the country against the Virginia, Duke, Georgia Tech, Boston College, whoever of the world.

It's that simple.

Correct.

Advertisement
And you will. That’s why these discussions are so funny. This entire thread has been an excuse-making machine for Mike Leach.
So I'm defending a theoretical coaching situation while you and a few others a defending a real coaching situation. Big difference.

Funny how every single passpasspasspasspass coach in the country "just needs a DC" or "can't get defensive recruits". Did ya every think that it's because they spend 95% of their time and resources on the passing game?

Bruh are you too young to remember the Canes in the late 1980s and early 90s? People were making the exact same argument against Dennis Erickson that you are against Leach. The idea of a pass first, one- back spread offense was also considered a joke. "Show me a coach who has won without a power run game. Winning championships is about running the ball and TOP."

How many national championships did Erickson have when we hired him? I'll make it easier, what notable accomplishments did Erickson have that would could possibly justify hiring him after JJ? Winning the Aloha Bowl at 9-3?

Erickson implemented a system that took advantage of S Fl athletes, which he never had access to before, and changed college football.

Leach would do the same.

P.s. we also hired Erickson from WSU. Eerie similarities.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bruh are you too young to remember the Canes in the late 1980s and early 90s? People were making the exact same argument against Dennis Erickson that you are against Leach. The idea of a pass first, one- back spread offense was also considered a joke. "Show me a coach who has won without a power run game. Winning championships is about running the ball and TOP." How many national championships did Erickson have when we hired him? Feel free to look it up.
Erickson implemented a system that took advantage of S Fl athletes, which he never had access to before, and changed college football.

Leach would do the same.

LOL. His system isn't "pass first". His system is "pass only". Dennis Erickson's teams could grind out yards on the ground when they needed to.

LOL. His system isn't "pass first". His system is "pass only". Dennis Erickson's teams could grind out yards on the ground when they needed to.

And yet lots of blowhards said Erickson's pass heavy offense could not win championships. How many teams in the mix for the championship played without a fullback?

And yet lots of blowhards said Erickson's pass heavy offense could not win championships. How many teams in the mix for the championship played without a fullback?

Good lord.

"Pass heavy" and "all we do is throw" are two different things.

Advertisement

Miami, 1991: 295 passing, 146 rushing
Washington State, 2018: 392 passing, 77 rushing

Yeah, looks like a clone.

Good lord.

"Pass heavy" and "all we do is throw" are two different things.

Again, at the time Erickson was hired, people thought you could not win championships with a single back "pass heavy" offense. Some very smart football people at Miami realized that Erickson's system would take max advantage of the S Fl athletes and the result was two championships.

And sorry to break it to you, but with our OL we aren't going to be "grinding out yards" even if we had OJ Simpson in his prime at RB.

Again, at the time Erickson was hired, people thought you could not win championships with a single back "pass heavy" offense. Some very smart football people at Miami realized that Erickson's system would take max advantage of the S Fl athletes and the result was two championships.

And sorry to break it to you, but with our OL we aren't going to be "grinding out yards" even if we had OJ Simpson in his prime at RB.

Fine, then we can accept that we don't have championship talent and we can go 9-3 with Mike Leach's gimmick offense every year. Either way, that Air Raid nonsense isn't built to win on January 7th.

Advertisement
Miami, 1991: 295 passing, 146 rushing
Washington State, 2018: 392 passing, 77 rushing

Yeah, looks like a clone.

Ah so you believe that Air Raid offense is incapable of being adapted if the team has a good RB and OL?

Maybe you should tell that to Lincoln Riley.

Also you didn't answer the question. What accomplishments did Erickson have that justified hiring him after JJ?

Ah so you believe that Air Raid offense is incapable of being adapted if the team has a good RB and OL?

Maybe you should tell that to Lincoln Riley.

Also you didn't answer the question. What accomplishments did Erickson have that justified hiring him after JJ?

You mean the Lincoln Riley whose team just rushed for 350 yards? Yeah, that's not Air Raid. Show me the last time a Mike Leach team did something like that.

Arghhh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181113-113652.png
    Screenshot_20181113-113652.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 10
Advertisement
Back