“If I went to that program I would never lose a game. They get the best athletes.” - Mike Leach

We dont get the best athletes no more stop lying, people been saying that for years and the NFL proves thats a BS lie. We used to get the best athletes
You nailed it. Most posters still think what we did in the past applies to the present. Most top hs recruits want no part of us. We have become a dead program. I think our next coach will continue to have difficulties building a strong recruiting cycle. There are too many clueless guys on this forum.

Advertisement
You mean the Lincoln Riley whose team just rushed for 350 yards? Yeah, that's not Air Raid. Show me the last time a Mike Leach team did something like that.

Are you really claiming Lincoln Riley isn't a Mike Leach disciple? Riley ran about as pure an Air Raid as you could get at East Carolina.
At Oklahoma he had a great OL and RB so he adapted the Air Raid to his personnel. There was nothing in his previous coaching history to suggest he would do that, but he did because he understands that in football you adapt or die. Leach would do the same because he is smart and wants to win.

For some reason you must think all coaches are like your savior, Mark Rick, and are incapable of making changes to an offensive system.

Again, I'm curious as to what qualifications you think Dennis Erickson had to justify hiring him after JJ?

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-13/sports/sp-1323_1_dennis-erickson

Read that then get back to me.

"So you can imagine what those same Hurricane supporters, showered with success in recent years, must have thought when the little-known Erickson replaced the Dallas Cowboys-bound Johnson shortly before the beginning of 1989 spring practice.

Put it this way: A parade route wasn't needed.

"When his name came out, there was a tremendous amount of skepticism," said Sam Jankovich, now the New England Patriots' chief executive officer who as Miami athletic director hired Erickson. "People were wondering what I was doing."

They were doing more than wondering; they were revolting. At one point, Jankovich said he received several death threats from outraged Hurricane "fans." Such was the lunacy.

Everyone was mad at Jankovich. Washington State, where Jankovich had spent 16 years as an assistant coach, assistant athletic director and then athletic director before coming to Miami, felt betrayed because it had hired Erickson in 1987, only to see him leave two seasons later . . . because of the efforts of a former employee.

Miami alumni were upset because they felt Erickson wasn't a high-profile coach. Apparently they forgot that Johnson had come to Coral Gables from Stillwater, Okla., home of Oklahoma State--hardly the Mecca of college football.

Hurricane players were angry because then-Miami assistant coach Gary Stevens wasn't offered the job.

"A lot of guys were hinting about leaving," wide receiver Lamar Thomas said.

There were questions galore. Who was Erickson? Where was Pullman? Couldn't Jankovich do better than hire someone whose first and only Division I-A postseason appearance was an Aloha Bowl victory over Houston?"

Are you really claiming Lincoln Riley isn't a Mike Leach disciple? Riley ran about as pure an Air Raid as you could get at East Carolina.
At Oklahoma he had a great OL and RB so he adapted the Air Raid to his personnel. There was nothing in his previous coaching history to suggest he would do that, but he did because he understands that in football you adapt or die. Leach would do the same because he is smart and wants to win.

For some reason you must think all coaches are like your savior, Mark Rick, and are incapable of making changes to an offensive system.

Lincoln Riley made changes because he is Lincoln Riley. Mike Leach has his system and he is going to run it.

FYI, Dennis Erickson winning a couple of titles before trashing our program doesn't mean Mike Leach is the right guy for the job. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Lincoln Riley made changes because he is Lincoln Riley. Mike Leach has his system and he is going to run it.

FYI, Dennis Erickson winning a couple of titles before trashing our program doesn't mean Mike Leach is the right guy for the job. The two have nothing to do with each other.

So I see your logic circuits just short circuited. Riley learned from Leach, but only Lincoln Riley is capable of adapting his system to the personnel available. Lol ok.

Hey why don't you go edit the Wikipedia entry under Air Raid and remove Riley's name from the list of Air Raid coaches. I'll check the link later and see if your edits were successful.

And so what that Erickson ended up winning more titles than any Miami coach with an innovative offense, yet was once considered an unaccomplished coach running a gimmick system from Washington State? Yeah, no similarities there at all.

So I see your logic circuits just short circuited. Riley learned from Leach, but only Lincoln Riley is capable of adapting his system to the personnel available. Lol ok.

Mike Leach has been a head coach since 2000, and his offense today looks like the one in 2000. What makes you think he's going to change philosophies?

Hey why don't you go edit the Wikipedia entry under Air Raid and remove Riley's name from the list of Air Raid coaches. I'll check the link later and see if your edits were successful.

Lame. Quit being such an emotional woman. Lincoln Riley runs it down your throat, despite what the all-knowing Wikipedia says.

And so what that Erickson ended up winning more titles than any Miami coach with an innovative offense, yet was once considered an unaccomplished coach running a gimmick system from Washington State? Yeah, no similarities there at all.

Correct. No similarities. That was 30 years ago. Join us here in the future.

Advertisement
Personal attacks
Mike Leach has been a head coach since 2000, and his offense today looks like the one in 2000. What makes you think he's going to change philosophies?

Lame. Quit being such an emotional woman. Lincoln Riley runs it down your throat, despite what the all-knowing Wikipedia says.

Correct. No similarities. That was 30 years ago. Join us here in the future.

Bruh, I'm not the one acting like I got cucked by Mike Leach and ignoring logic due to an irrational hatred of the man. Everything you are saying about Leach is the same stuff they were saying about Erickson. Now if you want to say that Erickson was obviously a different caliber coach than Leach, maybe you can string together a rational argument.

You then go into a "no true Scotsman" fallacy and say that because Riley runs the ball, he doesnt run an Air Raid. You obviously don't understand what the Air Raid is. If Miami had tried to hire Lincoln Riley out of East Carolina, you'd have been the first in line to sh#t on the hire because Riley's implementation of the Air Raid at East Carolina looked a lot like Leach's at WSU. The core concepts at Oklahoma are still based on the Air Raid, he just implemented more runs because he had an advantage at OL and RB.

Anyone can edit a Wikipedia entry. If you don't think Riley runs an Air Raid, go try to fix the Wikipedia entry. Will be enjoyable to see how many people call you a f#cking moron before changing it back.

If Leach was at Miami he'd likely have to run something similar to what he does at WSU because our OL is dogsh#t and there is no offensive advantage to getting dropped for a loss in the backfield.

I'm starting to think you and PickleDick were homeschooled together because there is an uncanny similarity in how he ignored the stats I laid out in the offseason explaining that Rosier was a bad QB (he loved him some Rosier) and how you are ignoring the similarities between Erickson and Leach. Oh well. Fortunately Jankovich was smarter and had more balls than you apparently do. Hopefully Frenk and Blake's replacement do too.

Bruh, I'm not the one acting like I got cucked by Mike Leach and ignoring logic due to an irrational hatred of the man. Everything you are saying about Leach is the same stuff they were saying about Erickson. Now if you want to say that Erickson was obviously a different caliber coach than Leach, maybe you can string together a rational argument.

You then go into a "no true Scotsman" fallacy and say that because Riley runs the ball, he doesnt run an Air Raid. You obviously don't understand what the Air Raid is. If Miami had tried to hire Lincoln Riley out of East Carolina, you'd have been the first in line to sh#t on the hire because Riley's implementation of the Air Raid at East Carolina looked a lot like Leach's at WSU. The core concepts at Oklahoma are still based on the Air Raid, he just implemented more runs because he had an advantage at OL and RB.

Anyone can edit a Wikipedia entry. If you don't think Riley runs an Air Raid, go try to fix the Wikipedia entry. Will be enjoyable to see how many people call you a f#cking moron before changing it back.

If Leach was at Miami he'd likely have to run something similar to what he does at WSU because our OL is dogsh#t and there is no offensive advantage to getting dropped for a loss in the backfield.

I'm starting to think you and PickleDick were homeschooled together because there is an uncanny similarity in how he ignored the stats I laid out in the offseason explaining that Rosier was a bad QB (he loved him some Rosier) and how you are ignoring the similarities between Erickson and Leach. Oh well. Fortunately Jankovich was smarter and had more balls than you apparently do. Hopefully Frenk and Blake's replacement do too.

Keep using one hire 30 years ago as your big data point. That makes it a whole lot easier for me.

Here is the nail in your coffin: "If Leach was at Miami he'd likely have to run something similar to what he does at WSU because our OL is dogsh#t and there is no offensive advantage to getting dropped for a loss in the backfield."

NO KIDDING. That's exactly what I have been saying, and it is the system that loses 4 games every single year. My favorite part is that within about five posts, you went from "Leach would adapt his system" to "Leach would have to run the same system". Yeah, thanks for eventually agreeing with me. If you need any more tutoring, I'm here for you.

You nailed it. Most posters still think what we did in the past applies to the present. Most top hs recruits want no part of us. We have become a dead program. I think our next coach will continue to have difficulties building a strong recruiting cycle. There are too many clueless guys on this forum.

We had a Top 10 class last year.

Advertisement
In done with the image repair guys. I want some attitude. Lane or Leach dont care, but we need an edge. I want teams to fear us. We might have one last crack at a head coach to stay somewhat relavent. Time to embrace who we are.

If you need a reminder for why we need a coach like Leach or Lane Kiffin to light a fire under this program, go read "Cane Mutiny" again (or read it for the first time).

"[N]obody paid any mind when Howard Schnellenberger, who looked like a cross between General Patton and Colonel Sanders, took over as coach. Schnellenberger, a gruff, pipe-smoking disciple of Bear Bryant, found a program without pride, one that had not been to a bowl game in 12 years.

He molded the chip on his survivors' shoulders, reminding them at every turn that they were the outsiders, and so what if the rest of the football world did not respect them? He blended that spirit with a pro-style passing offense and with a brazen crop of newcomers who were drawn to Miami because they wanted to be part of the upstart program that fostered a gunslinger's image. The Hurricanes would reflect the city's persona. It was, in a word, hard.

When he left in a power struggle with the university's brass after that season, his replacement, the little-known Jimmy Johnson, stoked the flame.
Armed with a psychology degree, Johnson relished the Hurricanes' us-against-the-world attitude. He encouraged them to play more mind games against their opponents, so they taunted, trash-talked and danced every chance they got -- never mind unsportsmanlike-conduct penalties. Their mantra: It's a 'Cane thing. You wouldn't understand.

Johnson felt that if he stymied and handcuffed the players who needed to be demonstrative, it would affect their confidence and ultimately their performance. And if the university president blanched at all this, as Tad Foote did at the time, forget him, too. "Jimmy got us," the former receiver Brett Perriman said. "He understood what it takes to win."

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/sports/ncaafootball/canes-are-all-the-rage.html

So ask yourself- was the common denominator of the first 4 championships just that we had good x's and o's guys? It was partly that but also that the coaches understood that a lot of kids they recruited were hard luck cases, and the coaches leveraged that anger by unleashing maniacs on the football field.

Miami gets back to the top by going high risk reward and realizing that we need to build a team that is nasty and violent. Even if we don't win, the opponents need to fear pain and punishment on the football
field. Kids nowadays even more than the Thrill Hill era players are all about showboating and getting YouTube hits. If Miami finds a coach who gets that, then kids will embrace the U again over tight lipped programs like Alabama. The Pullman Pirate will have the kids excited about football at Miami again.

The Pullman Pirate has kids at Washington State excited too. But he still loses four games and falls apart every year. But hey, they're excited.

Advertisement
Keep using one hire 30 years ago as your big data point. That makes it a whole lot easier for me.

Here is the nail in your coffin: "If Leach was at Miami he'd likely have to run something similar to what he does at WSU because our OL is dogsh#t and there is no offensive advantage to getting dropped for a loss in the backfield."

NO KIDDING. That's exactly what I have been saying, and it is the system that loses 4 games every single year. My favorite part is that within about five posts, you went from "Leach would adapt his system" to "Leach would have to run the same system". Yeah, thanks for eventually agreeing with me. If you need any more tutoring, I'm here for you.

I think there is a difference between what he would have to run right now ( based on current personnel) vs what he would evolve to

The Pullman Pirate has kids at Washington State excited too. But he still loses four games and falls apart every year. But hey, they're excited.

You never answered the question- how many championships did Dennis Erickson and Jimmy Johnson have when they were hired? Were either of them 10 game winners when they were hired?

I'm guessing you were born after 1990 so you have zero knowledge of the real history of the Miami Hurricanes. When Jimmy was hired- people were furious because he was a nobody from the midwest. When Erickson was hired, the outcry was even bigger, as fans claimed he was just some loser from Pullman. A good coach wouldn't be found up at WSU. You have zero clue about recognizing coaching talent. I'm starting to understand why no one on this forum (besides the other idiot that absolutely no one likes- PickleDick) takes you seriously.

You never answered the question- how many championships did Dennis Erickson and Jimmy Johnson have when they were hired? Were either of them 10 game winners when they were hired?

Zero, so we should be okay with any coach who has won zero titles. Somehow you have come to the conclusion that "Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson had no titles, therefore we should hire Mike Leach in 2018."

I'm guessing you were born after 1990 so you have zero knowledge of the real history of the Miami Hurricanes. When Jimmy was hired- people were furious because he was a nobody from the midwest. When Erickson was hired, the outcry was even bigger, as fans claimed he was just some loser from Pullman. A good coach wouldn't be found up at WSU. You have zero clue about recognizing coaching talent. I'm starting to understand why no one on this forum (besides the other idiot that absolutely no one likes- PickleDick) takes you seriously.

You guessed wrong. Dennis Erickson was the coach during my whole time at UM. FYI, there was no "outcry" in the pre-message board days.

I really don't care if you take me seriously or not. Like 100% no worries whatsoever. I'm not here to be friends or to change your mind. I'm just here to point out your stupidity.

Advertisement
I think there is a difference between what he would have to run right now ( based on current personnel) vs what he would evolve to

Agreed. Leach doesn't use tight ends in his Air Raid right now. Is it because he is married to a particular version of the Air Raid and refuses to adapt? No.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20170680/the-evolution-tight-end-college-football

It's because he hasn't found many TEs who have the skillset he needs. Leach says he would love to incorporate TEs into his offense if he found the right ones. Does that sound like a coach who can't adapt his system to his personnel? Jagr just hates Leach because he doesn't want to see anyone successfully replace his favorite coach, Mork Rick.

This is all I needed to see:

"...he understands that in football you adapt or die. Leach would do the same because he is smart and wants to win."

Then, literally 58 minutes later:

"If Leach was at Miami he'd likely have to run something similar to what he does at WSU..."

Agreed. Leach doesn't use tight ends in his Air Raid right now. Is it because he is married to a particular version of the Air Raid and refuses to adapt? No.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20170680/the-evolution-tight-end-college-football

It's because he hasn't found many TEs who have the skillset he needs. Leach says he would love to incorporate TEs into his offense if he found the right ones. Does that sound like a coach who can't adapt his system to his personnel? Jagr just hates Leach because he doesn't want to see anyone successfully replace his favorite coach, Mork Rick.

I've documented Leach's history since before Richt became our coach. You're below the Mendoza line on your assumptions.

Zero, so we should be okay with any coach who has won zero titles. Somehow you have come to the conclusion that "Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson had no titles, therefore we should hire Mike Leach in 2018."

You guessed wrong. Dennis Erickson was the coach during my whole time at UM. FYI, there was no "outcry" in the pre-message board days.

I really don't care if you take me seriously or not. Like 100% no worries whatsoever. I'm not here to be friends or to change your mind. I'm just here to point out your stupidity.

There was no outcry against Dennis Erickson?

I posted the link in an earlier post, but I'll post it again in case you missed it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-13/sports/sp-1323_1_dennis-erickson

"When his name came out, there was a tremendous amount of skepticism," said Sam Jankovich, now the New England Patriots' chief executive officer who as Miami athletic director hired Erickson. "People were wondering what I was doing."

They were doing more than wondering; they were revolting. At one point, Jankovich said he received several death threats from outraged Hurricane "fans." Such was the lunacy.

An AD getting death threats counts as a "outcry" to me.

Advertisement
Back