Zion Nelson future 1st Rounder

WRONG! Sapp was a very highly-regarded player in HS. Bill Buchalter of the Orlando Sentinel, who picked the Florida team for the old Georgia-Florida HS All-Star gam told me Sapp was the best player on the Florida team. Buchalter pretty much knew the talent in Florida. That was a terrific all star game, before these newer national A-A games. All the top Florida and Georgia talent played in that game.

Sapp was not a nobody like you suggest he is by being a two star. The only issue was, he was a very short TE at about 6’1”. Whether UM recruited him with the idea he would switch to DT, I don’t know. I suspect they did.

Both JJ’s staff and DE’s staff brought in Derrick Krein to be a DE, knowing that he was one of the highest rated LBs in the country. Had they told him their intentions, he probably would have gone to Arizona State. As it was, after he signed his LOI, he tried to get out of it when JJ abruptly left for Dallas and DE and staff came in. Today, it seems to be easier to get out of a LOI if a coach changes. I knew Krein was coming in to play DE, but apparently Krein didn’t.

College football is a ruthless business.

BTW, I remember that ‘90 class, I think it was. My friends, many who were insiders more or less, said I was the only one who didn’t like the class. I felt we lost out on too many top targets. Our best DT recruit was Dwayne Johnson. We were so depleted they told Dwayne not to stay in Pennsylvania to play that summer in the Big 33 game but to come to school for the summer session. I dunno, maybe it was for academic preparation, but I assumed they were trying to prepare him for the season. I think in the early 90’s we were playing guys like Anthony Hamlet, Eric Miller, Damon Bethel on the DL.

I guess they really didn’t know what they had in Sapp but he was apparently very athletic for his size, twitchy, explosive, strong. I guess they put on around 50 or so pounds on him and he was a DT. I don’t remember if Orgeron was DL coach at the time.
I just said he came in as 2 star TE, and he did. Good stuff though, I had not heard some of that info. Maybe I should have said Ed Reed? LOL

Advertisement
Two related thoughts:

1. He was out there because we truly had no better option.
2. Props to whoever identified him in the first place. If I remember correctly, he was part of that last minute New York recruiting push we made, seemingly out of desperation.
He’s not from NY

LOL @ the dudes that talked **** about Zion when he was thrown in the fire as a true freshman.

NOW some of those same dudes are struggling to give him credit or his just do for being the #1 left tackle prospect for the 22 draft class.

Just because the new DE from the Vols gave him fits during the Spring game, that doesn't mean he isn't the #1 left tackle prospect for the 22 draft.

The best of the best left tackles gets beat, so give Zion Nelson the **** respect he deserves for grinding and having the mental fortitude to continue to develop his game and be recognized NATIONALLY by MULTIPLE outlets as the #1 left tackle prospect for the 22 NFL draft.

Advertisement
Kid was a 225 LB TE and in between HS and his first start he put on almost 50 lbs. He needed to adjust to his new body and should have taken a RS, but he took his lumps and the hate of fans (several that still post here called him trash and said he was the worst OL we've ever had). We have some f#cking moronic fans that think he shouldnt be a first round pick in the draft because of his freshman year. Fortunately most GMs aren't as dumb.
FACTS! 👍🏿

I’ve been driving the bandwagon but this is a little early for the hype. He still has a lot of work to do technique-wise and he’s not a 6’6, 330 lb monster.

Thankfully, he’s the type to ignore the noise (good or bad) and keep working.

If zion goes first round you gotta give another nod to manolo ... he threw him out there as a freshman, let him take his lumps, coached him up and two years later he's a first rounder, that's the type of pub we need
Similar logic, except I think he's the best QB, why Garcia should start.

I’ve been driving the bandwagon but this is a little early for the hype. He still has a lot of work to do technique-wise and he’s not a 6’6, 330 lb monster.

Did you just throw out an Al Goldenism, "block out the noise!"

Advertisement
I don’t know why, but I really don’t like Spencer Rattler. Maybe it’s because he’s ugly as ****
He’s just missing the high top fade
1620052894117.gif

Zion is good at it. When everyone was burying him in 2019, he just kept working and competing. That was the surest sign he'd develop into a player.
I don't disagree with the sentiment, just busting balls for using a Glodenism.

Advertisement

the interesting part is the hype is not from our fanbase, but guys that get paid to do it .... i'm aware this isn't mel kiper, but it's still a nice sign and a nice story and most importantly, a recruiting win if it turns out first round

Zion is turning into the Warren Sapp 2 star TE story and we will hear about for years from the slurpers who say "see we don't need 5 stars that go to SEC, look at Zion guys!!!!!!"
Bruh..warren in no way was under the radar in HS. He was known. Had Bobby Bowden in his living room (according to warren himself) he switched positions because he was naturally a big bodied kid. Keeping that TE weight was gonna be a challenge for him at Miami. So he made the switch to defense..this kid Zion is a North Dakota state type storu

Advertisement
Its a prophecy really..The staff can’t develop. manny Diaz is destined to be a failure and Butch Davis (or someone from his bloodline) will come and resurrect Miami
i figured that ... yeah, i'm not a manny hater or lover, i want him to do well because of who he coaches, not him as a person ... and if zion does indeed become a first rounder, then both he and md deserves credit ... **** he didn't through rousseau out there from the jump, but he saw something in zion to do so

Advertisement
Back