Zion Nelson future 1st Rounder

Advertisement
your looking at it from a fans perspective, which is cool ... but if i'm a recruit i want the same opp zion had ... also, if we give that opp to a lesser 2* guy, then i definitely have a shot to shine as a higher ranked guy ... taylor and williams will be critical this fall ... we have to have roles from them
Im looking at from a program leadership perspective..... his (and the rest of OL) play was so atrocious that at some SEC programs they all would have been fired by now (ok.. never hired in first place...)... not to mention again the increased risk of a catastrophic hit in backfield because he was a turnstile (ask Romo)... Im not certain Saban, Dabo, JJ, Butch, Erickson, Ogeron, et al run programs because thatbis what a recruit likes...

Ive been among the harshest on Zion from first game (**** you @Fawk_U Haters)...and I will absolutely own up to it even further if/when Zion is drafted in any round. Good for him for getting better, it can only help. our Canes.

I don’t know why, but I really don’t like Spencer Rattler. Maybe it’s because he’s ugly as ****
Pretty sure he cuts his own hair
1620008390235.gif

Brad Kaaya was projected as a 1st rounder after his Sophomore year.

Nelson has a chance to be a 1st rounder but he needs to take a massive step and he can’t fail the Bama test.

More likely he will have a chance to be a 1st rounder in 2023 not next year.

Advertisement
Two related thoughts:

1. He was out there because we truly had no better option.
2. Props to whoever identified him in the first place. If I remember correctly, he was part of that last minute New York recruiting push we made, seemingly out of desperation.
No doubt

he decommitted from App State to come here and people lost their **** minds. Think they bumped him up to a 3 star after that but he was a 2 I think before that. Like 1,500th ranked in the country area.

Kid was a 225 LB TE and in between HS and his first start he put on almost 50 lbs. He needed to adjust to his new body and should have taken a RS, but he took his lumps and the hate of fans (several that still post here called him trash and said he was the worst OL we've ever had). We have some f#cking moronic fans that think he shouldnt be a first round pick in the draft because of his freshman year. Fortunately most GMs aren't as dumb.

Zion is turning into the Warren Sapp 2 star TE story and we will hear about for years from the slurpers who say "see we don't need 5 stars that go to SEC, look at Zion guys!!!!!!"
WRONG! Sapp was a very highly-regarded player in HS. Bill Buchalter of the Orlando Sentinel, who picked the Florida team for the old Georgia-Florida HS All-Star gam told me Sapp was the best player on the Florida team. Buchalter pretty much knew the talent in Florida. That was a terrific all star game, before these newer national A-A games. All the top Florida and Georgia talent played in that game.

Sapp was not a nobody like you suggest he is by being a two star. The only issue was, he was a very short TE at about 6’1”. Whether UM recruited him with the idea he would switch to DT, I don’t know. I suspect they did.

Both JJ’s staff and DE’s staff brought in Derrick Krein to be a DE, knowing that he was one of the highest rated LBs in the country. Had they told him their intentions, he probably would have gone to Arizona State. As it was, after he signed his LOI, he tried to get out of it when JJ abruptly left for Dallas and DE and staff came in. Today, it seems to be easier to get out of a LOI if a coach changes. I knew Krein was coming in to play DE, but apparently Krein didn’t.

College football is a ruthless business.

BTW, I remember that ‘90 class, I think it was. My friends, many who were insiders more or less, said I was the only one who didn’t like the class. I felt we lost out on too many top targets. Our best DT recruit was Dwayne Johnson. We were so depleted they told Dwayne not to stay in Pennsylvania to play that summer in the Big 33 game but to come to school for the summer session. I dunno, maybe it was for academic preparation, but I assumed they were trying to prepare him for the season. I think in the early 90’s we were playing guys like Anthony Hamlet, Eric Miller, Damon Bethel on the DL.

I guess they really didn’t know what they had in Sapp but he was apparently very athletic for his size, twitchy, explosive, strong. I guess they put on around 50 or so pounds on him and he was a DT. I don’t remember if Orgeron was DL coach at the time.

Kid was a 225 LB TE and in between HS and his first start he put on almost 50 lbs. He needed to adjust to his new body and should have taken a RS, but he took his lumps and the hate of fans (several that still post here called him trash and said he was the worst OL we've ever had). We have some f#cking moronic fans that think he shouldnt be a first round pick in the draft because of his freshman year. Fortunately most GMs aren't as dumb.
I still thought he had a bright future. He didn’t bend enough at the knees but that was fixable. He was raw but I could see a body I liked.

Advertisement
give up 10000000000000000 sacks, risk significant injury to teammate(s), lose games.

Brilliant strategy.

OR, bring someone like Zion to ride the bench behind a legitimate better OL, and when the time is right, allow Zion to earn his moment in a real game on the practice field.
We had nobody “legitimate better.”

If zion goes first round you gotta give another nod to manolo ... he threw him out there as a freshman, let him take his lumps, coached him up and two years later he's a first rounder, that's the type of pub we need

Yeah bro props to Manny for throwing him in his first year in college and letting him get abused week after week. Maybe give props to the kid for coming in and working, I swear y’all will say anything to try and give Manny credit.

Advertisement
Yeah bro props to Manny for throwing him in his first year in college and letting him get abused week after week. Maybe give props to the kid for coming in and working, I swear y’all will say anything to try and give Manny credit.
or could it be that manny haters look to dissect every comment about him ... my comment wasn't some huge conspiracy to prop him up ... but zion was not the only options, however he was even with the older guy and they played him ... i'm looking at it from a future recruiting pitch, not so much of a "our talent sucked so bad we had to start this guy" perspective, because we didn't ... similar to what we can present to portal guys now, we took jaelan in, developed him and he was out ... same concept, just provides more recruiting ammo ... trob referred to it on his pressers, look at my resume, i send guys to the league

"our talent sucked so bad we had to start this guy" perspective, because we didn't ...

That’s literally the reason we had to throw him in the fire game 1.

Advertisement
/Its most definitely is possible, offensive tackle development is different at offensive line

Who cares whether or not Manny gets credit. Zion should. Dude has worked his balls off to become a very good left tackle. Lesser men would've given up after being thrown to the wolves. He just got stronger and better. Don't see a 1st rounder, but I can see him developing into a second day pick if he continues on his current trajectory. He's not only relatively inexperienced at the position, he's also barely 20 iirc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back