Zach Smith Insight On Martell

First of all, I'll support whoever wins the QB race.

Right now, I'm giving the nod to Tate unless someone really comes on in early August. The biggest weakness on the team has been OL. The 2nd biggest offensive issue has been catching the football. A guy with wheels who's a playmaker maybe what the doc ordered. We won 10 games with Rosier. Tate has much better vision, awareness, running ability, and arm than Rosier. Most of all, Tate has the "IT" factor like his coaches and teammates have all said. He's never going to give up or get rattled. The thing with Tate is I don't see him letting us lose games we should win. In CFB, this is huge. You have to beat the Gtechs, Dukes and Pitts to earn respect.
Tate is someone that has to be accounted for by the defense as a run threat every play. This will open things up for the offense by putting JT4, Pope, Osborne, Brevin, and Will in single coverage the vast majority of the time. It will cause most teams to play a lot of zone defense. Even when they play man they will need a spy or have to play less aggressive. That's huge for an OL that needs to grow together and take some of the pressure off.
Enos is really going to have to cater the offense to Tate if he wants to go this route. There should be a lot more shotgun than what we've seen this far with Tate at the helm. It'll be interesting to hear what comes out of camp the first few weeks. The formations alone will be telling with what Enos is feeling IMO.

Advertisement

Right now, I'm giving the nod to Tate unless someone really comes on in early August. The biggest weakness on the team has been OL. The 2nd biggest offensive issue has been catching the football. A guy with wheels who's a playmaker maybe what the doc ordered. We won 10 games with Rosier. Tate has much better vision, awareness, running ability, and arm than Rosier. Most of all, Tate has the "IT" factor like his coaches and teammates have all said. He's never going to give up or get rattled. The thing with Tate is I don't see him letting us lose games we should win. In CFB, this is huge. You have to beat the Gtechs, Dukes and Pitts to earn respect.
Tate is someone that has to be accounted for by the defense as a run threat every play. This will open things up for the offense by putting JT4, Pope, Osborne, Brevin, and Will in single coverage the vast majority of the time. It will cause most teams to play a lot of zone defense. Even when they play man they will need a spy or have to play less aggressive. That's huge for an OL that needs to grow together and take some of the pressure off.
Enos is really going to have to cater the offense to Tate if he wants to go this route. There should be a lot more shotgun than what we've seen this far with Tate at the helm. It'll be interesting to hear what comes out of camp the first few weeks. The formations alone will be telling with what Enos is feeling IMO.
All of this.

Advertisement
Stupid isn't the word for this Pile of Dogsh*t...

Whoa. Look at this old fool. Lol.

Mr. This is what swagger looks like...picture of Jimmy and Highsmith....and just wrote off the 2001 era; greatest team in cfb history....

Move along uncle and the toxic ****bag u carry...

Mr. This is what swagger looks like...picture of Jimmy and Highsmith....and just wrote off the 2001 era; greatest team in cfb history....

This Old Fool would whip your young stupid *** down the street....I wrote off the 2001 team, when a family member coached alot of the starters on said team??...Run along with your asinine comparisons....

To summarize, he says he isn’t as good a thrower Braxton Miller was.

Best case scenario he’s a miniature Tim Tebow.

Not sure how much he can improve, but you’d think if he could be anything more than that Enos is the guy to help.
If Enos can turn Hurts in to the passer he has become then I am confident he can teach Tathan how to spin it.

unless of course Tate's hands are just too small to grip the ball correctly.

Advertisement
If Enos can turn Hurts in to the passer he has become then I am confident he can teach Tathan how to spin it.

unless of course Tate's hands are just too small to grip the ball correctly.
I don't think that'll be a problem, in an earlier interview with Enos about Tate, he mentioned at least 3 or 4 times that his hands were big.

This is a very interesting take. Enos, I think has the ability to cater his offense towards the skill set of his playmakers. The question is, is he willing to change his offensive philosophy? From what I can tell, Enos, in the past, has heavily favored 12 personnel, when he had the TE's to do so. He has that now with Jordan, Mallory, and Irvin. Based upon the film from Arkansas and Central Michigan, he ran most of those sets from under center.

I am not an X's and O's guru, so I am legitimately asking for those who are, can Enos offensive philosophy be equally as effective if the playbook is limited to being ran primarily out of shot gun? Looking at the installs that were done in the spring, it seemed as if Enos, as he's done in the past, favored heavily towards the QB's being under center. Of course he mixed it up, but the majority of the offense was under center. He changed it for Tate in the last scrimmage, but Jacory and William's were still under center more than being in shot gun. I am interested in hearing from some of the X's and O's posters on the board regarding their thoughts on this matter.

Nah, He and I are something you obviously are not. We're Cane fanatics. We have no pleasantries for the top hat and monocle gentleman that dot this board. We don't want to see videos of faux Jesus Christ whipping his filthy players into a frenzy, no matter how much you wanted to align with that other collaborator impirical cane.

Plenty of great college QBs were average throwers. Arm strength and pinpoint accuracy are obviously important, but in college it's equally important to have the "it" factor. Being surrounded by great talent helps too.

Tim Tebow, Charlie Ward, Tommie Frazier, Vince Young come to mind.

The only guy on that list Martell may be a better athlete than is Tebow. Those other guys could win games by themselves. Harvin was the show and reason FL won a bunch of those games. That guy was unstoppable in college.

Last edited:
Advertisement

The thing is can he throw well enough to win the job? And uf has some good corners and the question will be can he make the throws needed to win that game? Because im expecting uf to load the box and try to force the qb to win the game.

Lets hypothesize: Back it up a bit. Make the field level.

Tate vs Perry in HS which team wins?

Tate vs Williams in HS which team wins?

Its about the team. The whole team. Stop isolating it to just QB attributes. Williams or Perry don't know how to lead an elite squad. They are not built for this. We need a leader. PERIOD!

Not playing HS football.

Tebow in College vs Tom Brady in college

martell was a prolific passer in high school. it’s weird to me that he’s being described as being worse than braxton miller, who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and wasn’t even a passer in high school. martell had more TD passes his senior year alone than miller had his entire high school career.

Advertisement
The Miller comparison isnt very encouraging considering, well, Miller ended up not even playing Qb 😂.

A good comparison for Tate would be a smarter, faster, and more accurate Rosier, which really isnt that bad of a package tbh..

Plenty of great college QBs were average throwers. Arm strength and pinpoint accuracy are obviously important, but in college it's equally important to have the "it" factor. Being surrounded by great talent helps too.

Tim Tebow, Charlie Ward, Tommie Frazier, Vince Young come to mind.
Look at all of their offenses. All of them were spread or option teams. Enos is a pro style guy. It is much easier to play qb in those offenses.

Tate = Tebow, Jr....

Tebow was an average thrower too. Tate a far better runner though I think. Both have fire, desire, heart and "IT"...

Enos will need to design a special playbook for this guy....Tate is our starting QB.

Edit: Fux Zach Smith. Carryon. 😂
I can't stand Tebow, but dude could've made a decent Fullback. He was absolutely not afraid of contact.

Now durability, on the other hand, I don't know for sure.

@Roman Marciante
@DMoney

We know where @Lance Roffers. leans with QB1. What about you two gentlemen? What are your early inclinations 😊...

I’ve always thought Jarren was the most complete but he has to show maturity.

Whoever improves the most over the summer will win it. That’s cliche but the margin is that small and there so many questions about discipline.

Advertisement
Back