Zach Smith Insight On Martell

Advertisement
Just because someone starts the season as the QB doesn’t mean they will hold the position. I can guarantee it won’t be like last year where we had to sit through games where Rosier or Kosi had more incompletions than completions. If a guy doesn’t have it Enos will sit there but on the bench and will try the next man up!

Tate May be short but he’s built more like running back with a stronger lower body plus he’d 210-215
Yeah, call a couple Dan Mullen QB draws into a stacked box and see how many games he makes it before hes' completely broken in half.

Advertisement
Plenty of great college QBs were average throwers. Arm strength and pinpoint accuracy are obviously important, but in college it's equally important to have the "it" factor. Being surrounded by great talent helps too.

Tim Tebow, Charlie Ward, Tommie Frazier, Vince Young come to mind.

Yeah, well...as much as I would love to debate our QB situation yet again - where are you, D Rev Lee.....

I am not so sure I can seriously discuss the thoughts of a man who wears men’s spider enhancer thongs and WildmanT ball lifters.....

Carry on....

Don't know about that one. The 2 years he was the full time starter they only lost 2 games.

Wins is a diff argument. Something tate and brax excelled at. Efficiency at QB is a diff

Screenshot_20190628-103959_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190628-103959_Chrome.jpg

Advertisement
Some players freeze when the big lights come on, some light up with the lights as they love the pressure and the game. I suspect Martell is a lights on QB that simply gets the job done one way or the other. Unfortunately a coach can not determine that until the lights come on. It was after a great performance by Trevor Lawrence in relief that Clemson switched to him at QB. Lets hope our Florida game QB is the lights on, lights out performer.

I mean Wasn’t miller a dynamic qb at Ohio state? People can improve just like he did from the beginning of spring to the end

As a runner, yeah he made highlight plays. Seemed extra average passing.

I think he got hurt and supplanted by Barrett.

Never got the job back. Had him playing a h back/wing back role iirc.

Advertisement
Cis posters clinging to hope that Tate will be the “magic” guy that will be the qb that starts on 8/24. As of now Perry and Williams are more likely to be our starting qb for the 2019 season. I don’t believe Enos wants to have a qb that is not a natural passer. UM has always been a school that has had philosophy of pass first and only run if protection breaks down. Tate’s dna is run as often as possible because he does not have passing skills that “conventional” QBs have. Don’t compare Tate to Murray or Tua, they are elite.

Hate the Turds but have nothing but respect for Tebow as a player and a man.

If Tate can give us 80% of what he did on the field and in he huddle at UF, we wont lose a game this regular season.

Advertisement
If we get Tebow-like production from Martell, then we are winning a lot of games. I could care less if Martell has an NFL-caliber arm.

In a lot of ways this is like the Leak/Tebow situation.

Kosi has a big arm and good, but not elite, running skills.

Tate is a below average passer but special runner. He can be deadly effective if used right.

I am not crazy about two qb systems because if not done right, you get penalties and turnovers.

If we practice it efficiently and work out the technical aspects so there isn’t a huge difference in the procedure, it may be worth the risks.

These guys have electric skill sets and difference of style that may justify a two qb system.

The guy we got now improves qbs and took a team to the national title with two highly ranked qbs.

The more I think about it, the more a dual qb system seems inevitable and appropriate. Tate would probably get more snaps than Hurtts did last year.

Enos has improved the passing abilities of every QB that he has worked with in the past. Jalen Hurts looked like a completely different QB last year, and Enos was only able to work with him for 1 year. Lincoln Riley has a very pass friendly offensive scheme. I don't think he would have gone after Hurts so hard if Enos would not have worked his magic, drastically improving Hurts passing abilities.

There is no reason to doubt that Enos is going to drastically improve Tates passing abilities, the same way he did for everyone else that worked under him. Tate clearly has the work ethic, now it's on Enos to do what he was brought in to do. I am confident in both Tate and Enos and look forward to seeing Tate compete in the fall for QB1.

Cis posters clinging to hope that Tate will be the “magic” guy that will be the qb that starts on 8/24. As of now Perry and Williams are more likely to be our starting qb for the 2019 season. I don’t believe Enos wants to have a qb that is not a natural passer. UM has always been a school that has had philosophy of pass first and only run if protection breaks down. Tate’s dna is run as often as possible because he does not have passing skills that “conventional” QBs have. Don’t compare Tate to Murray or Tua, they are elite.

I think you're probably right in assuming that Enos prefers a QB who throws really well.

I'm sure he also appreciates pocket presence, work ethic, leadership, improvisation, pre-snap decision-making, football intelligence, and white skin.

Lets hypothesize: Back it up a bit. Make the field level.

Tate vs Perry in HS which team wins?

Tate vs Williams in HS which team wins?

Its about the team. The whole team. Stop isolating it to just QB attributes. Williams or Perry don't know how to lead an elite squad. They are not built for this. We need a leader. PERIOD!

Advertisement
Back