Zach Smith Insight On Martell

Advertisement
Just because the guy is a better runner than passer, doesn't make him Tim Tebow. Tebow is a big strong dude who isn't particularly fast nor agile. Tate is smaller, quicker, more elusive. If you tried to use Tate Martell the same way Florida used Tebow, he'd probably get hurt during the first game. It's like saying Jerome Bettis and Barry Sanders are similar because they both play running back.
Tate May be short but he’s built more like running back with a stronger lower body plus he’s 210-215

Last edited:
Just because the guy is a better runner than passer, doesn't make him Tim Tebow. Tebow is a big strong dude who isn't particularly fast nor agile. Tate is smaller, quicker, more elusive. If you tried to use Tate Martell the same way Florida used Tebow, he'd probably get hurt during the first game. It's like saying Jerome Bettis and Barry Sanders are similar because they both play running back.

I never said they were physically built the same. And perhaps you miss the part where I said Enos will need to design a special playbook? He is our "Rudy"...😂. The dude is a winner. All I know is the guys on this team that have played offense the last couple years look like a fcking morgue. No spirit. No life. Nothing. At this point, Id take a buff kangeroo or anything with life, balls, grit, fire...

To summarize, he says he isn’t as good a thrower Braxton Miller was.

Best case scenario he’s a miniature Tim Tebow.

Not sure how much he can improve, but you’d think if he could be anything more than that Enos is the guy to help.

If we get Tebow-like production from Martell, then we are winning a lot of games. I could care less if Martell has an NFL-caliber arm.

Advertisement
I’m kinda hoping Tate takes it because we haven’t had a player like him lead Miami since (????). However, we have too much talent at WR to have a QB that can’t throw downfield. It would be a crime to get jeff thomas back and have a QB with no arm power. Not saying that’s the case because I have no idea

Advertisement
I mean Wasn’t miller a dynamic qb at Ohio state? People can improve just like he did from the beginning of spring to the end

Thanks brock for letting me know that people can improve. Here I am 44 years old and I didn't realize that. Maybe I should have been a bit more clear for those sitting in the back. It caught me off guard because did anyone REALLY expect someone to say Miller was a better passer than Martell? I know I didn't.

Advertisement
Shout out to Zach Smith, a piece of human excrement. And yikes at being a worse passer than Braxton Miller. All about improvement though, hope he gets there.

Advertisement
I mean Wasn’t miller a dynamic qb at Ohio state? People can improve just like he did from the beginning of spring to the end

Not really he folded against good D. His #s came from running up the score on cupcakes.

This isn't a thread to talk shît about martell or anything. I thought the insight was interesting from a guy who seen him and was around him at osu. He got a podcast now and talked about tate on the last one.

Link to episode if you want to listen for yourself.

“He told me all the time, ‘coach I am built different, I am going to come in and beat out J.T.’ so he was definitely ****y and overconfident, but you know what he had? He had that ‘it factor’ that you want,” Smith said of Martell when he was a recruit. “It was awesome. It was this ****y little [guy] that was coming in to take over the world and that is what you want in a quarterback.”

“I will tell you this about Tate as a player, he is an elite playmaker,” Smith said. “He is extremely dynamic. With the ball in his hands, he used to make our scout team look stupid some times when the the second team was going against the first team defense. He was dynamic.”

“He is kind of Braxton Miller-esque. He is not the thrower that Braxton was, but as a runner he is an elusive, shifty kid,” Smith said. “He was a very average thrower and kids can get better with throwing the football. By the end of his freshman year, he had embraced that he was young and getting better and knew how to roll.”

“He has to become the quarterback at Miami [first],” Smith said. “He is not that elite that the job is just his and he will run with it. He will have to go win the job. How will he do? We will see. He is going to have to become a better thrower to compete at a higher level at quarterback.

“We will see what Miami’s staff can do with him as far as throwing the ball, but what they have in him is an elite athlete for sure.”

“I am excited to watch Tate,” Smith said in closing. “I am a Tate Martell fan. I have known him now for four years and I am really excited because I hope he is the guy. I’m telling you, if he wins the job, you are going to see him on some top ten plays. If he improves as a thrower, he is going to be really good. If he doesn’t, he is still going to have some highlights. He is a highlight reel waiting to happen.”

I'm not really a fan of 2 qb systems but would fans have a problem with a perry and martell or a williams and martell playing? Can't wait to see how this qb position turns out.
***** Zach Smith.

Advertisement
Back