Zach Smith Insight On Martell

The thing is can he throw well enough to win the job? And uf has some good corners and the question will be can he make the throws needed to win that game? Because im expecting uf to load the box and try to force the qb to win the game.
That's a two way street. You have to be able to buy time and/or throw the deep ball when teams load up the box.
This is Jarren's weakness. He still slightly under throws the deep balls. His deep balls are also to the inside on the sidelines. I noticed immediately he did the same thing in this years spring game he did at the AA game in HS. He'll have trouble against good DB's deep.
Perry will throw a WOW dart every few plays that's impossible to defend. He's also going to take a sack, doesn't see the whole field, and throws it up for grabs in critical situations. We've heard he's gotten better. There was some improvement in the spring with him being more decisive but he's not getting hit either.
Tate will be able to buy time if defenses load the box. That can lead to WR's being open or a huge run if he takes off. Can Tate throw it deep? His HS tape says yes. I haven't seen him in throw person. That's an interesting question for those that made spring practices.

Advertisement
That's a two way street. You have to be able to buy time and/or throw the deep ball when teams load up the box.
This is Jarren's weakness. He still slightly under throws the deep balls. His deep balls are also to the inside on the sidelines. I noticed immediately he did the same thing in this years spring game he did at the AA game in HS. He'll have trouble against good DB's deep.
Perry will throw a WOW dart every few plays that's impossible to defend. He's also going to take a sack, doesn't see the whole field, and throws it up for grabs in critical situations. We've heard he's gotten better. There was some improvement in the spring with him being more decisive but he's not getting hit either.
Tate will be able to buy time if defenses load the box. That can lead to WR's being open or a huge run if he takes off. Can Tate throw it deep? His HS tape says yes. I haven't seen him in throw person. That's an interesting question for those that made spring practices.
Yea i think it's a tricky situation. I haven't seen tate live either but those that have seem to believe he is better with the shorter routes and quick passing game.

I think you're probably right in assuming that Enos prefers a QB who throws really well.

I'm sure he also appreciates pocket presence, work ethic, leadership, improvisation, pre-snap decision-making, football intelligence, and white skin.

hillaryseizure.gif

The tebow comparison is just disrespectful. Tebow was nationally celebrated for throwing one forward pass in a playoff game in Denver. He couldn't do anything else. Martell today is a better thrower than tebow ever was!

To me, one thing Martell has that cant be lost is he appears to be a natural leader. Guys seem to really around him. Not sure if it's the same for JW and NP.

How many more day til summer camp?? Lol

This Old Fool would whip your young stupid *** down the street....I wrote off the 2001 team, when a family member coached alot of the starters on said team??...Run along with your asinine comparisons....

👏 👏 ....I seriously doubt that. Like for real. 😂😂😂... U don't want this smoke Uncle. Monitor that blood pressure.

Advertisement
Read it earlier and drives home the point a lot of us see, that Martell is an elite playmaker. Something we maybe have never had and desperately need.
Enos will improve his passing and with his work ethic, he will be something to behold.

Having a guy that can create when stuff breaks down is a must as the ol is still a huge question mark.

I’ve always thought Jarren was the most complete but he has to show maturity.

Whoever improves the most over the summer will win it. That’s cliche but the margin is that small and there so many questions about discipline.
I agree. William's just looks so natural back there. I am not putting as much weight as others, on his "bad" performance in the spring game. From what I've heard, directly from one of our defensive players, Williams had a really solid spring overall and has looked very good in the seven on seven workouts during the summer. I really like his poise and his accuracy. He doesn't just throw catchable balls, he puts the ball in play for the receivers to have yards after the catch, more times than not.

Not to continue to beat the **** out of this dead horse, but I think we have a solid group of QB's and the competition is only going to bring out the best of each one of them.

martell was a prolific passer in high school. it’s weird to me that he’s being described as being worse than braxton miller, who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and wasn’t even a passer in high school. martell had more TD passes his senior year alone than miller had his entire high school career.

Crazy, right?

Advertisement
Read it earlier and drives home the point a lot of us see, that Martell is an elite playmaker. Something we maybe have never had and desperately need.
Enos will improve his passing and with his work ethic, he will be something to behold.

On this one part - I may be off, but I don't believe he's an ELITE playmaker - so much as he's a confident and very DETERMINED playmaker.

Confident that whatever happens - he'll pull it out! If I can't go through them, I'll throw over them. Or go around them. Or go UNDER them - but we're going to get it.

The one, single thing our team has lacked for years - is that CONFIDENCE - that we're going to win. Even when things go sideways - we'll still find a way to win.

And I think - from everything I've read and seen - Tate will demand of his offense - let's do this, and win! I don't see him calmly relaying plays, and just participating.

I think Martell has a better arm than given credit, that throw at 37 seconds in this video was at least 57-58 yards. He doesn’t have a weak arm at all. Don’t know if he wins the job but it certainly would be interesting if he does given his skillset. It’s very McKenzie Milton esque. Elite athlete at qb who happens to have arm talent.

On this one part - I may be off, but I don't believe he's an ELITE playmaker - so much as he's a confident and very DETERMINED playmaker.

Confident that whatever happens - he'll pull it out! If I can't go through them, I'll throw over them. Or go around them. Or go UNDER them - but we're going to get it.

The one, single thing our team has lacked for years - is that CONFIDENCE - that we're going to win. Even when things go sideways - we'll still find a way to win.

And I think - from everything I've read and seen - Tate will demand of his offense - let's do this, and win! I don't see him calmly relaying plays, and just participating.
I agree with the confidence and accountability he naturally posseses as well. Is was said that he has a coaches demeanor on the field. He got upset when Wiggins fumbled his pass in the spring game and immediately went over to talk to him about it.

Advertisement
I think Martell has a better arm than given credit, that throw at 37 seconds in this video was at least 57-58 yards. He doesn’t have a weak arm at all. Don’t know if he wins the job but it certainly would be interesting if he does given his skillset. It’s very McKenzie Milton esque. Elite athlete at qb who happens to have arm talent.

Slippery...nice decent arm too...

Advertisement
I agree. William's just looks so natural back there. I am not putting as much weight as others, on his "bad" performance in the spring game. From what I've heard, directly from one of our defensive players, Williams had a really solid spring overall and has looked very good in the seven on seven workouts during the summer. I really like his poise and his accuracy. He doesn't just throw catchable balls, he puts the ball in play for the receivers to have yards after the catch, more times than not.

Not to continue to beat the **** out of this dead horse, but I think we have a solid group of QB's and the competition is only going to bring out the best of each one of them.
As nice as that sounds we've yet to see him pull that off outside his apparent comfort zone of 7 on 7's. Because it wasn't just the spring game, it was the two scrimmages too.

I guess you can say it's early but you'd expect him to have a standout moment or two like the others have already had. And I'm saying this as someone who thought Williams was the favorite to win the job

The scary thing is people think those 59 seconds are actually impressive QB footage to glean anything from for college. It shows some glimpses of short area quickness (good), speed (good), playmaking (good), arm strength (good), but it's just a couple steps above watching Sam Bruce do a choreographed dance to get off the line in 7 on 7 tryouts. We need guys who'll take these raw skills and become polished QBs (Enos' job). This isn't HS, flag football or scramble ball. He's going to have to be clean with his drops, slide and shuffle within the pocket, and throw accurate passes. Not at all saying Tate can't do it, but commenting on relative irrelevance of "highlights."

I agree. William's just looks so natural back there. I am not putting as much weight as others, on his "bad" performance in the spring game.

I would not call it bad performance. JW was 4 for 6. Yes, he took a safety, but the Int. was Osborne, IMO. It was a perfectly thrown back shoulder pass and Osborne let Midget James Murphy (#29) take the ball away from him. Even if it the pass was under thrown, Osborne adjusted to it "perfectly" AND then let Midget James Murphy (#29) take the ball away from him.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement
Back