You think Miami has been bad at recruiting in state talent?

It's pretty common that if you're in an area/state that produces a lot of col. Players you're gonna have some misses. The good/great coaches still bring in good/great players. Butch Davis wanted Jerome carter bad but he went to fsu. Sean Taylor came to Miami and he turned out to be a better player anyways. That's what you have to do. If you miss on some guys but some guys you got turned out to be great players it and you're team wins doesn't matter.

You saw it with Jimmy Johnson butch Davis etc. They missed on some guys but the got players from other places and their teams kicked *** so it was a moot point.

Advertisement
Another oddity I read, but unrelated to this thread title is not 1 single high school player from Florida was selected in the first round.

Dmoney is not going to like that.. lol goes to show players are all over.

All I care about is what Richt does at Miami now. He's clearly learned his lesson, as he is all over South Florida and cherry picking from the rest of the state and OOS. Find a QB and close out this 2018 class strong, and we never look back.

Advertisement
If they're elite and local, they're at the top of your board. Regardless of whatever that meant for Richt at UGA, he gets it at UM. That's all I care.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This thread is useless without @HurricaneVision and his in-depth Richt recruiting analysis. Here are some of his old threads, position by position:

QBs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/96195
RBs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/96230
WRs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/96274
DTs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/97754

What you'll note as a pattern between the positions is a tendency to rely too much on specific size parameters. Basically, if you're using history to analyze, you wonder if Richt's program at UGA was too rigid in how it went about its business.

It was my primary concern when he came here and as we watched him call plays early. Fortunately, he was pretty flexible, transparent and showed adjustments (like quicker drops and less run-to-pass) as the season progressed.

As it relates to recruiting, we already see him break from UGA patterns with his recruiting at Miami. Especially for the class of '18.
Precisely, if you talk to people who have followed UGA or are close to that program, this is a very different Mark Richt. He refelcted on his time at UGA, and in lieu of trying to apply the same approach at UM, he has taken some markedly different stances on how he runs his program and who he recruits. I have it on very good authority that if you want to offer and OOS kid ahead of/over a local player (tri-county) it takes one **** of a dissertation as to why. He is also (mostly) all about production first and measurables second. That bears itself out in the offers made for classes 2018 and beyond.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]
What you'll note as a pattern between the positions is a tendency to rely too much on specific size parameters.Basically, if you're using history to analyze, you wonder if Richt's program at UGA was too rigid in how it went about its business. As it relates to recruiting, we already see him break from UGA patterns with his recruiting at Miami. Especially for the class of '18.

Good points...I noticed this when they basically dropped the proverbial "redzone threat" (Dingle), for the dynamic YAC/RAC guy (Harley).

Whenever you have to dig so deep into the numbers to find the silver lining, you know you are probably wrong.

Valid concern and criticism that would have had a completely different reaction back in the fall/winter. Doesn't seem to be an issue this year but as well all know, too much competition in this state to be landing everyone.

Tennessee has always recruited Georgia, especially North Georgia, hard simply by virtue of its own state not producing enough talent or the talent in the state taking a dim view of the Vols, starting with guys like Corn Elder:

Butch Jones vows aggressive UT recruiting | Times Free Press

Auburn's proximity to West Georgia makes it the closer big time program to many Columbus and Valdosta/Tifton-area recruits.

So Richt didn't inherit a wall, fence, or even police do not cross tape around his state.

You could say the same for FSU and UF. That being said most of these recruits came from Metro Atlanta, which would make GT and UGA the closest P5 schools. Also Auburn may be near Columbus (which I don't see any players on the list), but it is far from the Valdosta area. Those areas would be prime areas from UF.

The distinction is important. UGA needs to own metro ATL like UM needs to own So Fla.

West GA is a long border with Alabama, South GA with Florida, and ENE with S. Carolina. And North with NC and TN. Kids in each area are going to have receptivity towards adjacent powers, particularly ones winning and recruiting well, like Clemson, Alabama and FSU.

Also, GA produces a ton of D1 kids, so the question isn't the ones it didn't get so much as did it focus on the right kids and win its share of battles. The interesting question is which of the kids it missed on it recruited hard and lost (Watson, e.g.), and which it blew the eval on.

Whenever you have to dig so deep into the numbers to find the silver lining, you know you are probably wrong.

Valid concern and criticism that would have had a completely different reaction back in the fall/winter. Doesn't seem to be an issue this year but as well all know, too much competition in this state to be landing everyone.
When we look back in 5 years, there will definitely be some top local kids we were wrong to not recruit or prioritize. The hope is we got it mostly right.

Evaluations are the most critical thing in recruiting, but they're hard to judge until years later.

Advertisement
[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]
What you'll note as a pattern between the positions is a tendency to rely too much on specific size parameters.Basically, if you're using history to analyze, you wonder if Richt's program at UGA was too rigid in how it went about its business. As it relates to recruiting, we already see him break from UGA patterns with his recruiting at Miami. Especially for the class of '18.

Good points...I noticed this when they basically dropped the proverbial "redzone threat" (Dingle), for the dynamic YAC/RAC guy (Harley).

I wonder how much of a factor his current assistant coaches and front-office staff play in this as notwithstanding a few coaches he is working with an entirely new set of folks in Diaz, Rumph, Kul, Dugan's, Doherty, etc.....different people evaluating and recruiting under him.

Good thread and discussion.

Per the 247 rankings for the state next year, there has been 12 four or 5 stars committed and the dawgs has none.

Kirby recruited great last recruiting year but is sucking *** for the top talent in 2018...

Richt had top 10 classes pretty much every year at UGA, if not more like top 7 or top 8. It's possible that Richt did a lot of nationwide recruiting and got a lot of good players who weren't from GA.

I actually was a little disappointed in Richt's first 2 Miami classes since they were visibly below how he recruited at UGA. Granted that he has an excellent 2018 class so far and hopefully he'll be able to keep the class intact until February. I'm at least hoping that Richt is growing more accustomed to recruiting So.Fl and that his future classes will be more like the 2018 class than the 2016-17 classes.

He's had 1 full cycle recruiting since being hired, the best he could do with '16 class was hang on to does already committed and find some late drops from others

When we look back in 5 years, there will definitely be some top local kids we were wrong to not recruit or prioritize. The hope is we got it mostly right.

Evaluations are the most critical thing in recruiting, but they're hard to judge until years later.
Yep.

This will always be the case here. So many of these Florida kids are just super athletes not really playing specific positions or just free wheeling it. Colleges know if they can match the skill set to their system, they can find players here all over the place.

Advertisement
A little late to the party but I was curious about Richt's actual draft performance over the past decade, not just this year (which I consider an outlier). If you look at the data back to 2005, and recruiting classes back to 2001, it is interesting to see his performance (hopefully the image shows up):

Richt Draft.jpg

My takeaways:
*looking through the numbers every year, it is amazing to see how much ebb and flow there is. Georgia had to be among the most consistent schools at producing draft picks
*2005-2014 Georgia had the 4th most draft picks of any school
*2014 skews the averages more than is reasonable (since the increments are so large), but if you take that number out of the data set, Richt actually averaged better draft pick rankings than 247 recruiting rankings (I did those 4 years prior for a semi-accurate comparison)
*based on my experience with Miami, it's hard to call that an indicator of player development, but one could certainly make that argument

GT isn't as open to accepting students. Their situation is closer to Stanford than Miami.

Which is why that offense works for them. It's something different and you can find certain types of kids (the same guys you looked for at Navy, but better) to play in it. PJ has had more 10+ win seasons there than Gailey, GOL, and Ross.

He's also had more bad seasons such as 3-9.

PJ 3-9 and 6-7
Bobby Ross went 2-9 and 3-9
GOL 6-5 and 5-6
Gailey no losing records, but no 10 win seasons either
Bobby Dodd, the GT legacy- 4-6, 5-6, 4-4-2

Here is a list of players that went to high school in GA and got drafted. You will noticed one college missing from the list.

112Deshaun WatsonQBGainesvilleClemsonTexans
121Jarrad DavisILBCamden CountyFloridaLions
123Evan EngramTEHillgroveMississippiGiants
244Gerald EverettTEColumbiaSouth AlabamaRams
254Raekwon McMillanILBLiberty CountyOhio StateDolphins
255Dalvin TomlinsonDLHenry CountyAlabamaGiants
367Alvin KamaraRBNorcrossTennesseeSaints
385Antonio GarciaOTDrewTroyPatriots
393Montravius AdamsDLDooly CountyAuburnPackers
394Cameron SuttonCBJonesboroTennesseeSteelers
3101Brendan LangleyCBKellLamarBroncos
4116Carl LawsonDEMiltonAuburnBengals
4135Joshua DobbsQBAlpharettaTennesseeSteelers
4140Wayne GallmanRBGraysonClemsonGiants
4144Grover StewartDTMitchell CountyAlbany StateColts
5175Deangelo YanceyWRMaysPurduePackers
5183Ukeme EligweILBStone MountainGeortgia SouthernChiefs
6192Alexander ArmahDLDaculaWest GeorgiaPanthers
6205Jeremiah LedbetterDEGainesvilleArkansasLions
6209Robert DavisWRNorthside-W.R.Georgia StateRedskins
6212Kofi AmichiaOTMceachernSouth FloridaPackers
6217Corey LevinOGDaculaChattanoogaTitans
7222Jalen MyrickCBSavannah Christ.MinnesotaJaguars
7225Isaac RochellDLELCANotre DameChargers
7230Josh Harvey-ClemonsSLowndesLouisvilleRedskins
7233Harrison ButkerKWestminsterGeorgia TechPanthers
7235Josh HolseyCBCreeksideAuburnRedskins
7240Marquez WilliamsFBClarke CentralMiamiJaguars
7249Chris CarsonRBParkviewOklahoma StateSeahawks

LOL at this thread for somehow turning to suggest Richt did not do a good job of recruiting because of this draft class.

How bout somebody post the schools with best avg class rankings over Richt's career at Georgia so we can end this part of the discussion.

Also are we now saying that Ga has the best talent in the country?

One thing for sure is these are oddities and nothing else.

Another oddity I read, but unrelated to this thread title is not 1 single high school player from Florida was selected in the first round.

Well Dalvin Cook would have if not for character issues. Love him or hate him he's a top 5 talent.

Gtfoh with that **** he was good no doubt but y'all undercover Florida state fans suck dalvin off to much

So he said Calvin cook is real good? So what its the truth deal with it....I hate the dude cuz he went to fsu but real **** is real ****. Like I can say deon is good doesn't make me an FSU fan its just the truth

I said he was good 🤦️ That's without a doubt top five talent no there was clearly players better regardless of injury or character issues they would've taken him that was my reasoning for saying he is sucking him off for giving to much credit to a player yes he is very good in my opinion the only reason Florida state has beaten us the past three times but he's not some Adrian Peterson he'll imo duke was Better then him

Advertisement
Back