You think Miami has been bad at recruiting in state talent?

Advertisement
This list means nothing. You need to compare it with the kids that were recruited during the same time and did they make the league? Also, a lot of those kids had character and off the field issues so Richt didn't recruit them. My cousin knows 3 of those guys on the list and those three just simply wanted to get out of state and away from home. Had nothing to do with Richt of UGA. There are too many variables to draw a negative conclusion based of this list.

What's ironic is, He didn't offer kids like Herndon,Williams, & Shirreffs, but now they're either probably gonna start for em' (Herndon)...just got drafted (Williams)...or are one of the "co-leaders" at QB (Shirreffs).

Advertisement
Another oddity I read, but unrelated to this thread title is not 1 single high school player from Florida was selected in the first round.

Well Dalvin Cook would have if not for character issues. Love him or hate him he's a top 5 talent.

Most scouts had Mixon and Fournette as better prospects than Cook regardless of the off the field stuff, so that isn't true.

Is this OP's way of saying we should recruit Georgia more?

Not sure I'm following what you're getting at?

Tennessee has always recruited Georgia, especially North Georgia, hard simply by virtue of its own state not producing enough talent or the talent in the state taking a dim view of the Vols, starting with guys like Corn Elder:

Butch Jones vows aggressive UT recruiting | Times Free Press

Auburn's proximity to West Georgia makes it the closer big time program to many Columbus and Valdosta/Tifton-area recruits.

So Richt didn't inherit a wall, fence, or even police do not cross tape around his state.

You could say the same for FSU and UF. That being said most of these recruits came from Metro Atlanta, which would make GT and UGA the closest P5 schools. Also Auburn may be near Columbus (which I don't see any players on the list), but it is far from the Valdosta area. Those areas would be prime areas from UF.

Hey, AU's Long Snapper from last year, Ike Powell, is from Tifton! Yeah, sure, UFelony is 100 miles closer to Valdosta than AU...Heck it's why I had god awful Moody AFB (Valdosta) on my "dream sheet" when I was young (stupid) and first joining the USAF; it was close to Florida!

Your correct, it's metro Atlanta with most all the talent, but Auburn mines GA state-wide due to a huge alum base there (yeah, tell you something you don't already know) and proximity. Your well researched chart does bring up valid questions about Richt, but Georgia is so Balkanized in recruiting that it mitigates some of Richt's recruiting failure there.

Last edited:

Not overtly but every Canes fan from or at a place other than South Florida secretly wants to think that the football being played in their backyard is top notch. ****, I haven't lived in Pennsylvania in 15+ years and I'll still get excited if I just hear that we might be offering or trying to flip a kid there. So it's probably even worse if you actually live in Georgia or Texas/Louisiana or California even though one could almost lineup a list just of Aquinas NFL products that'd destroy similar lists from large geographical areas in those states.

Advertisement

Not overtly but every Canes fan from or at a place other than South Florida secretly wants to think that the football being played in their backyard is top notch. ****, I haven't lived in Pennsylvania in 15+ years and I'll still get excited if I just hear that we might be offering or trying to flip a kid there. So it's probably even worse if you actually live in Georgia or Texas/Louisiana or California even though one could almost lineup a list just of Aquinas NFL products that'd destroy similar lists from large geographical areas in those states.
I've always been in favor of getting top prospects from wherever, I don't really care where as long as they're good football players.

Obviously, I love South Fla players, but that doesn't mean other states don't produce great players too.

I was going to post a long list of top NFL players, where they were from & where they went to school, but decided not to lol.

Point being, most of the best players in the league at each position, pretty much all went to schools that weren't necessarily their hometown.

The only exception is DT's & WR's... But basically every top QB, RB, OL's (all 5 positions), DE, LB & DB's all went to non hometown schools.

Last edited:
That's an abomination. Anyone trying to defend it is retarded. He either did a horrible job evaluating local talent or he did a disgraceful job recruiting that local talent.

Hopefully, our state is more loyal to UM than Georgia was to UGA. Rick needs to be a much better evaluator than he was at UGA. They had a bunch of high ranked classes but also boatloads of attrition.

What's ironic is, He didn't offer kids like Herndon,Williams, & Shirreffs, but now they're either probably gonna start for em' (Herndon)...just got drafted (Williams)...or are one of the "co-leaders" at QB (Shirreffs).

Herndon is a perfect example of Rick's struggle evaluating locally. Folden kicked his teeth out on that evaluation. Herndon wasn't some hidden scrub who developed late either. He was at a big program and was an obvious talent.

That's an abomination. Anyone trying to defend it is retarded. He either did a horrible job evaluating local talent or he did a disgraceful job recruiting that local talent.

Hopefully, our state is more loyal to UM than Georgia was to UGA. Rick needs to be a much better evaluator than he was at UGA. They had a bunch of high ranked classes but also boatloads of attrition.

^^^^Just plain wrong ^^^^^

Advertisement
I think Richt post 2012 just threw in the towel on his time at UGA.

He has the ability to put together a talented team. After all, he was seconds away from playing in and most likely winning the national championship game.

Richt isnt an elite coach, but he has the ability to win it all

Difference is the next closest P5 school to SFl is about a 9 hour drive from UM, and none of them are comparable in terms of livability (major city, beaches, likely have family and friends nearby). With UGA, you are basically going to get the exact same experience at Bama, Auburn, or UF so there isn't really a compelling reason to go to UGA over the other SEC schools. The one oddity is the non SEC school in the area, GTech - a great academic school with a relatively successful football program in a major city. That's not very common in college football. I think they could be a legitimate recruiting threat one day but we are lucky they love that triple option and Paul Johnson,which will keep them sucking for years.

Last edited:
This thread is useless without @HurricaneVision and his in-depth Richt recruiting analysis. Here are some of his old threads, position by position:

QBs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/96195
RBs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/96230
WRs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/96274
DTs: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/recruiting/97754

What you'll note as a pattern between the positions is a tendency to rely too much on specific size parameters. Basically, if you're using history to analyze, you wonder if Richt's program at UGA was too rigid in how it went about its business.

It was my primary concern when he came here and as we watched him call plays early. Fortunately, he was pretty flexible, transparent and showed adjustments (like quicker drops and less run-to-pass) as the season progressed.

As it relates to recruiting, we already see him break from UGA patterns with his recruiting at Miami. Especially for the class of '18.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I've always been in favor of getting top prospects from wherever, I don't really care where as long as they're good football players.

Obviously, I love South Fla players, but that doesn't mean other states don't produce great players too.

I was going to post a long list of top NFL players, where they were from & where they went to school, but decided not to lol.

Point being, most of the best players in the league at each position, pretty much all went to schools that weren't necessarily their hometown.

The only exception is DT's & WR's... But basically every top QB, RB, OL's (all 5 positions), DE, LB & DB's all went to non hometown schools.

I wasn't saying we should recruit GA more or less. One of the constant complaints on CIS is not recruiting in our backyard. This is one data point that shows our current coach did not do well in this particular year. Miami should dominate recruiting in South Florida, just the same as UGA should do in Metro Atlanta. Both areas clearly have a large amount of talent as the draft has shown. Richt was 0 for 3 on first round picks from GA, and 0 for 29 total.

I played against about 6-7 of these guys on that list and know a few of them.
And out of that list only about 14 or so were known prospects
Josh Harvey clemson valdosta(every body knew about him) kicked out of uga
Carl Lawson-5star - wasn't that interested in uga
Deshaun Watson- everyone knew about him
Chris herndon-(norcross) 3rd or 4th known prospect and norcross after Lorenzo carter, kamara, Myles autry
Myles autry- norcorss
Alvin kamara(norcoss) never was interested in uga- originally signed with Alabama
Brendan Langley(kell)signed with uga- he left
Wayne gallman(Grayson) he committed to clemson originally as a package deal to get nkemdiche but he flipped and they kept him. He was a legit prospect
Cam Sutton-(Jonesboro) Tennessee was known but not highly rated.
Isaac rochell(Eagles landing Christian academy) smart kid and notre dame fitted him more than uga imo
Dalvin thomlinson( Henry county) committed to bama early and never wavered
Evan engram- wasn't a big name prospect coming out under the radar
Ukeme eligwe- originally signed with fsu and never wavered
Raekwon McMillan- committed to osu early, wanted to get away.
Josh hosley( creekside) from Fairburn ga which might be closer to auburn than uga and he committed early
Montravious adams- 5 star went to auburn not sure how much uga was in that. He loved their dline coach.
Jarred Davis( went to uf. Never heard of him before his freshman year at uf
The rest was sleepers, never heard of the rest like that at all. So there is a reason a lot of them didn't end up at uga.

Florida and ga talent is pretty similar as far as big time programs coming in and raiding it. It's so many close to different parts of the state. Might be worse than Florida tbh. I'll take that back it is....

Last edited:
Most of players on that list wasnt recruited by UGA or Bama. Mentioned Bama because they recruit Ga heavy.

Advertisement
Back