You think Miami has been bad at recruiting in state talent?

Sometimes you just miss on recruits. Bowden used to say no matter their ranking/hype 1/3 will start, 1/3 will play a role, 1/3 will sit the bench.

11 of those kids were passed on by a lot more than just UGA. Like Asante Samuel going to UCF, dude is from Ft Lauderdale. Sometimes guys bloom later, took forever to pass a test, whatever and a Miami or UGA has a full class but UCF saves 2 spots for those kids. 1 is from Chatt, 1 Lamar- that means 120+ teams "missed" on that kid.

Can't have 'em all. It's not the 60's with 300 kids signing to Bama. You get your 20-30 and that's that.

Some kids know that:
a) they can't handle Richt dumping them if they ***** up
b) he tries to recruit higher character kids- so some get passed on that way.
c) Auburn and Clemson love to throw $ at kids and Richt probably isn't as involved as others re that. It happens just not internally.

I've always heard he was fired because the recruiting classes were too good to not win a ship. Never that he couldn't recruit.

Advertisement
Tennessee has always recruited Georgia, especially North Georgia, hard simply by virtue of its own state not producing enough talent or the talent in the state taking a dim view of the Vols, starting with guys like Corn Elder:

Butch Jones vows aggressive UT recruiting | Times Free Press

Auburn's proximity to West Georgia makes it the closer big time program to many Columbus and Valdosta/Tifton-area recruits.

So Richt didn't inherit a wall, fence, or even police do not cross tape around his state.

You could say the same for FSU and UF. That being said most of these recruits came from Metro Atlanta, which would make GT and UGA the closest P5 schools. Also Auburn may be near Columbus (which I don't see any players on the list), but it is far from the Valdosta area. Those areas would be prime areas from UF.

Auburn is like 1 hour 15-30 min away from metro Atlanta. Clemson, tennesse are all closer to metro Atlanta than uf is to south Florida.
Regardless that was a bad class signed by richt. But another thing is the fact that some kids who could have declared (Sony, Chubb, Lorenzo carter and a few others) also josh Harvey Clemons/langley had they not left would have been okay. 4 of those are ga kids too

Last edited:
Another oddity I read, but unrelated to this thread title is not 1 single high school player from Florida was selected in the first round.

Well Dalvin Cook would have if not for character issues. Love him or hate him he's a top 5 talent.

Gtfoh with that **** he was good no doubt but y'all undercover Florida state fans suck dalvin off to much

So he said Calvin cook is real good? So what its the truth deal with it....I hate the dude cuz he went to fsu but real **** is real ****. Like I can say deon is good doesn't make me an FSU fan its just the truth

not really something to tout.... those are all misses or bad evals by your boy

He's saying the state of ga is a talented state. It was a down year for Florida in the draft but ga is Right behind Florida in terms of elite talent

Advertisement
Here is a list of players that went to high school in GA and got drafted. You will noticed one college missing from the list.

112Deshaun WatsonQBGainesvilleClemsonTexans
121Jarrad DavisILBCamden CountyFloridaLions
123Evan EngramTEHillgroveMississippiGiants
244Gerald EverettTEColumbiaSouth AlabamaRams
254Raekwon McMillanILBLiberty CountyOhio StateDolphins
255Dalvin TomlinsonDLHenry CountyAlabamaGiants
367Alvin KamaraRBNorcrossTennesseeSaints
385Antonio GarciaOTDrewTroyPatriots
393Montravius AdamsDLDooly CountyAuburnPackers
394Cameron SuttonCBJonesboroTennesseeSteelers
3101Brendan LangleyCBKellLamarBroncos
4116Carl LawsonDEMiltonAuburnBengals
4135Joshua DobbsQBAlpharettaTennesseeSteelers
4140Wayne GallmanRBGraysonClemsonGiants
4144Grover StewartDTMitchell CountyAlbany StateColts
5175Deangelo YanceyWRMaysPurduePackers
5183Ukeme EligweILBStone MountainGeortgia SouthernChiefs
6192Alexander ArmahDLDaculaWest GeorgiaPanthers
6205Jeremiah LedbetterDEGainesvilleArkansasLions
6209Robert DavisWRNorthside-W.R.Georgia StateRedskins
6212Kofi AmichiaOTMceachernSouth FloridaPackers
6217Corey LevinOGDaculaChattanoogaTitans
7222Jalen MyrickCBSavannah Christ.MinnesotaJaguars
7225Isaac RochellDLELCANotre DameChargers
7230Josh Harvey-ClemonsSLowndesLouisvilleRedskins
7233Harrison ButkerKWestminsterGeorgia TechPanthers
7235Josh HolseyCBCreeksideAuburnRedskins
7240Marquez WilliamsFBClarke CentralMiamiJaguars
7249Chris CarsonRBParkviewOklahoma StateSeahawks

Any Rb on that should be excluded, when your rb group included Todd Gurley, nick Chubb, and Sony michel

The failure of state of Ga recruiting by Richt is over stated, all those SEC schools recruit over each other's state lines.....imagine if Alabama was in Naples, FSU was in West Palm, and Clemson was in Orlando....becomes a lot harder to keep kids in Miami.

georgia tech should have a good *** team every year tho... they need to get rid of Paul johnson

Per the 247 rankings for the state next year, there has been 12 four or 5 stars committed and the dawgs has none.

Kirby recruited great last recruiting year but is sucking *** for the top talent in 2018...

Advertisement
georgia tech should have a good *** team every year tho... they need to get rid of Paul johnson
Why would they need to do that? He molds disciplined young men. I hope he stays there for the next 10 years.

This year was a complete anomaly for Georgia. They had a solid recruiting class in 2013 but had sixteen transfers and several players take red shirts. They also have a bunch of juniors who decided to stay and one player who declared early last year. Here is a decent article on the situation: https://www.bulldawgillustrated.com...straight-on-georgias-one-2017-nfl-draft-pick/. It is a little odd to have that many transfers, but given that you really only had 5 or so guys leaving the team who contributed, and one drafted, you could argue the problem was diffeeent than not recruiting Georgia well.

As much as people want to say kids leave south Florida and Florida in general to go to out of state schools. It happens even more so in georgia. I've played football with top level recruits and know them a lot want to get out of the state and go to different schools and of course you have some that want to stay in state . Fact of the matter is the state of Georgia has produced the most sec talent by far out of any state. That's the sec's main recruiting battleground.

Advertisement
GT isn't as open to accepting students. Their situation is closer to Stanford than Miami.

Richt had top 10 classes pretty much every year at UGA, if not more like top 7 or top 8. It's possible that Richt did a lot of nationwide recruiting and got a lot of good players who weren't from GA.

I actually was a little disappointed in Richt's first 2 Miami classes since they were visibly below how he recruited at UGA. Granted that he has an excellent 2018 class so far and hopefully he'll be able to keep the class intact until February. I'm at least hoping that Richt is growing more accustomed to recruiting So.Fl and that his future classes will be more like the 2018 class than the 2016-17 classes.

Last edited:
This year was a complete anomaly for Georgia. They had a solid recruiting class in 2013 but had sixteen transfers and several players take red shirts. They also have a bunch of juniors who decided to stay and one player who declared early last year. Here is a decent article on the situation: https://www.bulldawgillustrated.com...straight-on-georgias-one-2017-nfl-draft-pick/. It is a little odd to have that many transfers, but given that you really only had 5 or so guys leaving the team who contributed, and one drafted, you could argue the problem was diffeeent than not recruiting Georgia well.

Generally a lot of people transfer after a coaching change. That's one thing Andrew needs to take into account- some of the players may have transferred from UGA after Richt got fired. They may have not liked Smart or not fit in Smart's system or whatever. At Miami there were a plethora of transfers after Golden and especially Shannon were fired. I don't think very many people transferred after Coker's firing but that was probably in part because Shannon already knew the players as DC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
GT isn't as open to accepting students. Their situation is closer to Stanford than Miami.

Which is why that offense works for them. It's something different and you can find certain types of kids (the same guys you looked for at Navy, but better) to play in it. PJ has had more 10+ win seasons there than Gailey, GOL, and Ross.

Which is why that offense works for them. It's something different and you can find certain types of kids (the same guys you looked for at Navy, but better) to play in it. PJ has had more 10+ win seasons there than Gailey, GOL, and Ross.

He's also had more bad seasons such as 3-9.

Also interesting how instate talent or not, he consistently had top recruiting classes at Georgia. A couple questions to kick around, does it matter that all that talent went elsewhere because Richt had good classes anyways, or should he have focused more in-state and could he have done more with the in-state talent?

In relation to the data in the OP, it's a stark contrast to the big push to sign South Florida kids and cherry pick the national talents ala DJ Johnson and Brevin Jordan
Yeah, I never got the impression from UGA fans that recruiting was the problem with Richt. In fact I thought it was the opposite -- that he underachieved despite consistently having top 10 recruiting classes. In any event, if the 2018 class holds up I couldn't care less about his last few recruiting classes at UGA.

Pretty much this.

Advertisement
Back