Yo mopes where you at

We've seen extremism with politics (Rs vs. Ds) and it's not playing too differently here. The camp of mopes vs. slurpers lacks a lot of folks in the middle who can champion some of Manny's success but also critique his failures. Instead, people seem to fall into 1 camp and can't find a more nuanced, balanced approach to assessing the program and Manny's moves. But whatever. I've been on this board since the Grassy days and it's never really changed in that regard.
But hardcore mopes and slurps will still talk to each other and present reasoned arguments. They don't retreat to echo chambers where they can get validated. The vast majority waver between moping and slurping.

Advertisement
I think the majority here are who you are describing, they’re just not as vocal as the mopes and slurpers. Like I said a few posts up, I mope and I slurp. I slurp and I mope. Most of us are in the middle and recognize the good things, are honest about what can improve and do not have a pro or anti- Manny agenda. We just want what’s best for us to succeed.
There are many that have realistic expectations. I’m a realist and try to look at things from a macro point of view. We didn’t get to where we are as a program overnight and we won’t get to where we’d like to be overnight either.

As the old saying goes “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”

giphy.gif

I'm still in wait-and-see mode. Until we win the Coastal, I'll reserve judgement.

This fanbase suffers from both extremes.

Us mopes have had a lot to mope about over last 2 decades. It’s engraved in many of our DNA’s at this point. The first sign of bad football we come out swinging.

On the opposite side of the spectrum the first sign of life in this football program the slurpers/sunshine pumpers are out in full swing screaming “we back” at the top of their lungs.

We don’t have many many die hards in the middle. It’s usually one extreme or the other.

I think that this myth of people screaming "we back" whenever something good happens is overblown and simply not true.

Sure, "we byke" has become a joke punchline. But people are not saying that we are "back" every time we sign a good player, hire a good coach, or win a good game.

I'm pretty fair and I think my reactions are proportionate. I was very angry at our defensive performances in the last few games. I advocated for getting replacement coaches. But I also am patient about letting the hiring/firing process play out, and I will start out with measured optimism once I see a good move that Manny makes.

It's not "slurping" to be upbeat when Enos is first hired. It is certainly "slurping" to defend Enos when the evidence of his poor-fit/bad-coaching mounts.

I am currently optimistic about the coaching changes that have been made and the new players who are being added. I'm also from Missouri, so I need to be shown things. If new coaches/players do not perform, I will be quick to acknowledge that and adjust my expectations downward at that time.

But I love my alma mater, and I will continue to believe that a 12-0 regular season is POSSIBLE, even if it is more probable that we win 10 or 11 games in the regular season. I'm capable of having more than one thought in my head at the same time. There is no need to be All-Mope all-the-time. Having optimism in the off-season does not make you a "slurper" or a "sunshine-pumper".

Advertisement
I'll be impressed when he crashes a Saban run coaching clinic in Tuscaloosa.

Well, not really. Just win. Beat Alabama and I'll be seriously impressed. ****, just make it a game for 3 quarters and I'll be impressed. All the offseason moves in the world mean nothing if you don't win. By the way, all these moves are paid for and approved by UM. Manny is just the dude that made poor choices originally and has been given the OK by his bosses to make changes. That doesn't impress me much. WINNING after making changes impresses me. Winning after having coaches poached from your winning staff impresses me. It all comes down to winning, not making changes after making ****** decisions in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad he's making changes. It just doesn't mean he's some super coach. Just because you change your drawers after you crap in them doesn't make you a big boy. It just means you realized you crapped yourself. Again.
Apparently 2.7 years under his belt and he is ready to call defensive plays, run the defense and be head coach. After next year, he will be ready to be like Andy Reid and take on the AD position as well. This fast track head coaching trajectory is quite amazing to be honest.

In all seriousness, as ridiculous and amateur hour as it is, I’m rooting like **** for him to pull it off against all odds.

Nope, did he agree that those firings DOUBLE-don't-count?
Did the Maryland comeback from being down 31-0 count??? Or the Hail-Flutie game??? Those might have had influence on "People leaving on their own".....
Not sure what side of the fence my point falls on or if it's even relevant but it felt like a good time to throw it out there.... Ok.. back under my rock, it's cozy here... :hair-fire:

Did the Maryland comeback from being down 31-0 count??? Or the Hail-Flutie game??? Those might have had influence on "People leaving on their own".....
Not sure what side of the fence my point falls on or if it's even relevant but it felt like a good time to throw it out there.... Ok.. back under my rock, it's cozy here... :hair-fire:
Didn't Trout quit before the Flutie debacle?

I don't really have a side either, I just love the history. Imagine what a nightmare it would have been to have social media back then.

Advertisement
Didn't Trout quit before the Flutie debacle?

I don't really have a side either, I just love the history. Imagine what a nightmare it would have been to have social media back then.
Jimmy never woulda saw a second season.... Heck he might not have been hired in the first place... Let's remember he was 29-25-3 when he was hired from Ok.St... We were the defending National Champs and that was our replacement... I was only 14 at the time but I remember it wasn't a well accepted hire... Then he went 8-5 in the first season with the two losses I mentioned...
So yea if social media was around then he woulda got deep fried and battered....

To answer your question about Trout I honestly don't know...

Apparently 2.7 years under his belt and he is ready to call defensive plays, run the defense and be head coach. After next year, he will be ready to be like Andy Reid and take on the AD position as well. This fast track head coaching trajectory is quite amazing to be honest.

In all seriousness, as ridiculous and amateur hour as it is, I’m rooting like **** for him to pull it off against all odds.
Or, he could just try and master being head coach and hire a DC? Or...just be a DC and hire an experienced head coach? Crazy, right?

Advertisement

I am as well. I WANT us to win, but I am not going to turn a blind eye to failures. Nor will I turn a blind eye to his successes. However, I just happen to put far more stock into wins during the playing season than wins in the offseason.

Who’s hiring Manny as a HC if he does get canned in the next year or 2? People figure if you can’t win at Miami you’re not winning at our school.
How dare you say that!

Some of those guys left JJ's staff WITHOUT BEING FIRED, so that means it "didn't count" according to the Mope Squad...
Blasphemy to compare JJ to Handy Manny. I'll be a Mope and still pull for us to win games, Handy is trash.

Advertisement
Lmao.

FIU and La Tech “big games “

FSU, VT, Louisville and the rest of our schedule-meaningless.
So, playing at home against UNC for a chance at an orange bowl and we choke. How about Rhett getting his **** punched in by Brent Venables as we all know Clemson is our measuring stick. Keep giving me excuses. lol

Who’s hiring Manny as a HC if he does get canned in the next year or 2? People figure if you can’t win at Miami you’re not winning at our school.

Blasphemy to compare JJ to Handy Manny. I'll be a Mope and still pull for us to win games, Handy is trash.

This is point at which people with deficient reading comprehension skills should just leave the board.

I am not, have not, and would not "compare" Jimmy Johnson to Manny Garcia.

I am, however, exploring the way in which dopey porsters act as if "firing" a coach can only be defined in one way. As a way of UNDERSTANDING the variety of ways in which a coach can be "pushed out" without being "in-person fired", I merely noted that JJ did not "fire" every assistant coach who left UM between 1984 and 1989.

NOT a "comparison" of two men.

Advertisement
Back