Year 3

Let's take Louisville for example.

Comes down to King having a career night against them because the defense couldn't figure it out. Louisville scored 34.

Clemson held them to 21.
Notre Dame held them to 17 then 7.
Virginia held them to 17.

That's shutting down a real offense.

Until we stop hanging around with average ACC teams, we're not going anywhere.

Stop being pedantic. You know what the issues are.
Clemson allowed more points vs Virginia compared to us, Notre Dame allowed more vs FSU than us and Virginia allowed more vs VT than us.

Advertisement
Alright folks ..year 3 of the Diaz HC era is almost upon us. As some might recall, year 3 is very telling for good or for worse. Most good coaches see a big leap in their 3rd year.

Will we see a better team this fall? Will we see a team that puts all 3 phases together?

Some positives that bode well:

-Year 3 of the S&C Program
-Everyone back on offense including the offensive staff minus Brevin
-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?
Baker removed himself. And all these threads gloss over the biggest factor, Manny himself. Everyone talks about the player moves as if the coaching is just a successful given.

Many decided that while he struggled to be a new full time head coach, for year 3, he’d be a part time head coach and take on an additional job as well instead of hiring correctly. I am sure it will work out swimmingly.

Let's take Louisville for example.

Comes down to King having a career night against them because the defense couldn't figure it out. Louisville scored 34.

Clemson held them to 21.
Notre Dame held them to 17 then 7.
Virginia held them to 17.

That's shutting down a real offense.

Until we stop hanging around with average ACC teams, we're not going anywhere.

Stop being pedantic. You know what the issues are.
7D02E13C-3584-4569-8240-EF05166FA853.jpeg

Louisville had 6 points at half and we were up 40-20 when we emptied the bench in the 4th. Everyone got in that game

Be better than that lame *** comparison

Last edited:
Nobody's saying it can't happen. We have seen it before, but we all knew that 10-0 in 2017 was a house of cards. There were glaring weaknesses that weren't getting addressed. Basing a 7 loss season on nothing more than the fact that it's happened before is just unreasonable.
It’s a prediction based on Miamis past, so It is reasonable to say we have been a .500 team much more often than what people are predicting us to be this year…as you said, even our best season in almost 20 years was mostly an illusion, though it was a great ride. It is also reasonable to expect Miami to underachieve given our consistent tendency to do so objectively speaking, it would also be unreasonable to expect them to meet most fans expectations this year

How bad of a season would it take for Diaz to get fired? I think that's the more interesting question. Probably has to be 6 wins or less with this administration.

I've gone back and forth on Manny, but his offseason moves really are excellent. I'd like to see 10 wins minimum this year, another top 15 recruiting class, and momentum going into 2022. At that point, Manny can deliver or we can hire a game day coach type to take the talent and win.

Advertisement
What if I told you Alabama has given up more than 40 points four times in the last two seasons.

Three of the four were against teams that lost a minimum of four games that same season.
I’d say, “I know” and say once Miami regularly has the toughest schedule in the country, averages one loss or less per year and wins a ring every other year, those poor Defensive performances will be easier to accept

View attachment 149669
Louisville had 6 points at half and we were up 40-20 when we emptied the bench in the 4th. Everyone got in that game

Be better than that lame *** comparison
Hey clearly you're a diehard Diaz guy and you think everything's fine. Let's revisit after game 1 and then let's revisit at the end of the season.

I've seen 5 years of his defense. I dont need wait for the sixth.

Hey clearly you're a diehard Diaz guy and you think everything's fine. Let's revisit after game 1 and then let's revisit at the end of the season.

I've seen 5 years of his defense. I dont need wait for the sixth.

Your example was shredded by multiple posters. Guess everyone who thinks differently than you is just a hard core Diaz guy.

And as far as not waiting for a sixth, I foresee a lot of ongoing misery for you cause we’re going to win plenty and he’s not going anywhere.

Advertisement
It’s a prediction based on Miamis past, so It is reasonable to say we have been a .500 team much more often than what people are predicting us to be this year…as you said, even our best season in almost 20 years was mostly an illusion, though it was a great ride. It is also reasonable to expect Miami to underachieve given our consistent tendency to do so objectively speaking, it would also be unreasonable to expect them to meet most fans expectations this year
Past performance is not an indicator of future results. So many variables have changed.

You keep saying its Manny D and his scheme..but you fail to name a game when Manny was the DC that another team ran for 600 yards against us..I remember VERY few games during his tenure where our defense was absolutely man-handled for 4 quarters... Ill give you Clemson in the ACC title game and ill give you Wisconsin. But to place zero blame on Blake Bakers inability to call plays and adjust mid-game is unfair. There is a reason why Baker didnt get another DC job and was demoted to LB coach at LSU. Hes not a great playcaller at this level of P5 ball. At least not now.

This is all a moot argument. The results will speak for themselves very soon when the season starts. Im betting on Manny, and clearly you are not. Ill bookmark this argument for a later time.
He gave up 550 to BYu at Texas…doesnt Matter that it wasn’t at Miami. The thing with Diaz is that he has never been anywhere for more than a couple years here and there. His 3 years as Miami dc was his longest tenure, so he has never proven that he can sustain a great defense

also, him being DC is 100% not sustainable. Not even elite play calling HCs sustain an elite level, look at jimbo, malzahn, harbaugh. Day and Reilly look like they have staying power but so did the other 3

Past performance is not an indicator of future results. So many variables have changed.
It is, actually, the leading indicator When it comes to human behavior and performance. It’s not a perfect indicator, but it’s by far the best one. You and some fans just wish It wasn’t based on our recent history…and this isn’t the stock market. an example is bama, Clemson, ou, and osu almost always managing to win their conference despite all the coaching and player turnover in cfb. Eventually things might change but when looking at a 7-8 year pattern, you Cant possibly argue that it doesnt hold up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He gave up 550 to BYu at Texas…doesnt Matter that it wasn’t at Miami. The thing with Diaz is that he has never been anywhere for more than a couple years here and there. His 3 years as Miami dc was his longest tenure, so he has never proven that he can sustain a great defense

also, him being DC is 100% not sustainable. Not even elite play calling HCs sustain an elite level, look at jimbo, malzahn, harbaugh. Day and Reilly look like they have staying power but so did the other 3
Lol at referencing a game not at Miami.

Good lawd

It is, actually, the leading indicator When it comes to human behavior and performance. It’s not a perfect indicator, but it’s by far the best one. You and some fans just wish It wasn’t based on our recent history…and this isn’t the stock market. an example is bama, Clemson, ou, and osu almost always managing to win their conference despite all the coaching and player turnover in cfb. Eventually things might change but when looking at a 7-8 year pattern, you Cant possibly argue that it doesnt hold up.
Not really. How can you hold anything prior to 2019 against him? If that was the case, you would have expected Schnellenberger to be a bust.

Advertisement

If Texas is part of the ****nal, your argument needs new weapons.

You guys spend way too much time complaining about X's and O's. What you want in a
head coach is a CEO who communicates effectively with players, the media, alumni and the rest of college football. A guy with personality who can sell. Someone who can admit a mistake and change quickly. I've been incredibly impressed with Coach Manny. The way he has worked the portal has the masterful, recruiting hasn't been this consistently good in 20 years, and each season he is addressed the biggest weak links with definitive upgrades. Sure, obviously the proof is in the pudding and what happens on the field is going to decide everything, but the coaching staff has gotten better each year as well.

Not just go out and win some f****** games.

Alright folks ..year 3 of the Diaz HC era is almost upon us. As some might recall, year 3 is very telling for good or for worse. Most good coaches see a big leap in their 3rd year.

Will we see a better team this fall? Will we see a team that puts all 3 phases together?

Some positives that bode well:

-Year 3 of the S&C Program
-Everyone back on offense including the offensive staff minus Brevin
-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?