Year 3

11-1 with loss to Bama = my expectations
10-2 also losing to UNC = most realistic
9-3 with a bad loss = fireable if your AD cares
7-5 disaster season = what our AD will deem fireable
I doubt even 7-5 would get Manny fired. There surely will be injuries and other excuses to save him. Might take 5-7 to give him a pink slip.

Advertisement
Where does this confidence come from? I legitimately don’t understand.
I guess we’ll see together. I’ll be at the game. I’m sure you will too. Fwiw offense wins football games today. They will struggle to score points and we will not. I don’t care what anyone thinks. After we beat them, this board will freak out, because we could lose to app st…. So, answer me this, if we can lose to app state, why can a team starting a freshman quarterback and nine new starters on offense week one not lose to us?

Advertisement
What coach can’t you do that with.
Bro, stop.
We've put up some ATROCIOUS defensive performances. We walked into many games looking completely unprepared, allowing quarterbacks to start 14-14 passing, looking like we didn't even watch the film on the other team. And you guys can alleviate Manny of responsibility for that UNC game, but I'm not. He's a defensive head coach.

Bro, stop.
We've put up some ATROCIOUS defensive performances. We walked into many games looking completely unprepared, allowing quarterbacks to start 14-14 passing, looking like we didn't even watch the film on the other team. And you guys can alleviate Manny of responsibility for that UNC game, but I'm not. He's a defensive head coach.

Go down the schedule of every P5 team and you’ll find ATROCIOUS performances.

I’ll put up our percentage of good vs bad games against just about anyone over the last five years. Especially when you consider our offense, punting and FG kicking was consistently one of the least effective in college football over that span.

Manny is a high beta head coach. As a third year new head coach with the type of (positive) turnover we’ve seen on the team, I believe we won’t know what we have until this season is over. Everything is speculative at this point.

My best guess: we’ll be stronger at every position except DE and TE, including massive improvement at Will (Keontra), CB and WR. We’ll score a lot. Losses will be on the defense and we really should run the table outside of Bama.

I’m not sure I quite believe in Manny as DC / HC though. So I expect a letdown for a game or even two (so 9-3 or -10-2) which SHOULD NOT happen.

I am in the camp that believes we’re still an LB coach and DC away from being BCS ready.Yet I feel we should be knocking on the door this year with this talent. The only real hole is MLB, which is entirely on Manny. We’ve got to get to the ACCCG and we’ve got to actually make it a game with Clemson, maybe even win. If we don’t, it will be the LB play and defensive scheme that holds us back.

(Long reply)

People correlate a great defense with causing havoc and thats just not true. Bama has had some of the best defensive units year in and out over the last 10 years and I will bet money they havent had more than 1-2 guys who had more than 8-10 sacks in a season. MAYBE Courtney Upshaw and Quinton Williams. Their defensive scheme isnt reliant on havoc. Its playing sound and assignment football AND stopping the run at all costs.

I think Manny has the DL to do this type of scheme even if he cant create the usual havoc he likes.. A DT rotation of Ford, Nesta, Miller and JHH should absolutely be stout against the run this season. Ford, as much as people have given up on him, looked like a man on a mission this Spring. You stop the run and I like our chances against anyone with the secondary we have. (and I have been on the record in saying this could be the best secondary we have had since 2005. I think they can be that great) I have also said many times I think this will be the most underrated DL we have had here ever when the dust settles at the end of this season.. I like what we have in the room. No babies in this room. All full grown men.

If this OL cant get it done than I dont think we will have an OL that does for years. A rotation of Zion-Rivers-Gaynor-ND-Williams/Scaife is probably on paper the best OL we have had since the Golden era when we had Seantrel, Linder, Feliciano and McDerm. Every mock draft has Zion going in the first round. (not saying I agree but it is what it is) Every poster on here has said ND is NFL ready. And Williams/Scaife both are solid OTs. Rivers was a big time recruit. So fine, Gaynor isnt a stud, but lets see how he does this season. If they can just not get bytched against Bama and hold their own..confidence wise they will know they can hang with any DL on the schedule and become a force as the season goes on.

Mallory will be just as good as Brevin and I think most people will agree on that. I think he shocks people. I think Likens and Manny have made it clear they are ready to move on from Pope and Wiggins. I know posters have PTSD when it comes to that but Manny isnt getting fired because of those 2 and neither is Likens. There is a big reason why Rambo was brought in and it aint for him to sit behind Wiggins. And Pope will have to fight off X for his job.

Not sure what you mean by Team Speed bro but remember we went 8-3 last year and we didnt lose 3 games because we were slow. Clemson and UNC were just plain better and unfortunately Okie State we came out flat and just couldnt recover.

KR/PR game is useless period now in football because of the rules change. I dont see many PR and KR for TDs in the sport anymore. But I get your overall point. Fair point.

Last but not least, Manny...he is betting on himself. Gotta respect that. He is basically saying that with Lashlee running the offense and him running the defense...UM will be a force. His DC record at UM speaks for itself. People want to give him astericks and say his scheme is for clowns and the stats are an illusion because of the scheme but the reality is he has results to back up his claim that he can be an elite DC. AND now he has Bob Shoop, Simpson and T-Rob having his back. And he has the deepest UM team in over a decade. Last year he passed the test of beating the teams he is DEFINITELY supposed to beat. Posters dont like to talk about that but give the man his due when warranted if we are going to kill him when he phucks up.. We would have beaten Okie State if we had WRs who could catch the ball. And UNC and Clemson were both 50/50 games at the time. We have one 50/50 game this season. UNC. (I am counting Bama has a 75/25 game) We will be favored in 10 games this season. Time for him to put up or shut up.

10-2/11-1. (regular season) No excuses. Get it done.
258 sacks over the last 6 seasons for Alabama says otherwise. They're still a more disciplined defense that plays two gap alot and aren't going for tfls but they've been getting lots of sacks and interceptions for the last 6 years. Before that they weren't rushing the passer as well and we're more fundamental.

Advertisement
Come on dude, show me an AD who fires a third year coach after a 9-3 regular season.

If we go 9-3, I don't want to see Manny fired. I want to see him hire a DC and an LB coach. I believe he's got the right capability set to continue to develop into a quality head coach and 2nd-level recruiter. The only reason we'd lose to UNC and another opponent is if he mismanages his chess pieces as DC.

Bro, stop.
Lol bruh some of these dudes on here have the memories of goldfish.

The running joke was how much we’d be down at halftime the game after the bye (and the other team played the week prior).

None of those schools are Miami.
We have a severe talent advantage over 10/11 of our opponents. (or at least we should)
This is a common misconception on this board. We always think we have a talent advantage, but in reality we rarely do outside of a couple positions.

if we were truly more talented then other teams we wouldn’t struggle the way we have.

Many get way to caught up in the star ratings.

I will say we have some nice pieces we can work with though. King, Mallory, Zion, TS, Bolden are guys that proven they can play and at a solid level. But the rest is very average at best. There is a lot of potential with the young guys, but it’s just potential till they can show it on the field.

Go down the schedule of every P5 team and you’ll find ATROCIOUS performances.

I’ll put up our percentage of good vs bad games against just about anyone over the last five years. Especially when you consider our offense, punting and FG kicking was consistently one of the least effective in college football over that span.
If you look at the top defenses over the span of 2016-18 when Manny was DC here, his defense ranks #5 nationally in yards/play and #10 in points/game. Not sure how this isn’t one of the best defenses in the country?

Attachments

• 753AE8CF-E22D-4D18-87B8-74A54BA4E578.png
    753AE8CF-E22D-4D18-87B8-74A54BA4E578.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 5D5314F1-2CF4-4B81-BC49-268A2F024357.png
    5D5314F1-2CF4-4B81-BC49-268A2F024357.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 6
Advertisement
If you look at the top defenses over the span of 2016-18 when Manny was DC here, his defense ranks #5 nationally in yards/play and #10 in points/game. Not sure how this isn’t one of the best defenses in the country?

They point to the same half dozen games snd forget about the other 80 where our defense kept them in games as our offense crapped themselves for 60 minutes.

They point to the same half dozen games snd forget about the other 80 where our defense kept them in games as our offense crapped themselves for 60 minutes.

@Go Canes!! , you know I try to be balanced. There are many things I like and some things I don't like about Manny. But those half dozen games mattered. I would argue he tried to be "too cute" with his scheme in most of them.

And when you're trying to win 10+ games and get into the ACCCG and BCS playoffs, you can't afford even 2 bad games in the whole season. We have the talent to do that this year, my 15-0 brother. So if we only play well on defense in 9 games, will you be satisfied?

@Go Canes!! , you know I try to be balanced. There are many things I like and some things I don't like about Manny. But those half dozen games mattered. I would argue he tried to be "too cute" with his scheme in most of them.

And when you're trying to win 10+ games and get into the ACCCG and BCS playoffs, you can't afford even 2 bad games in the whole season. We have the talent to do that this year, my 15-0 brother. So if we only play well on defense in 9 games, will you be satisfied?
Appreciate your position.

Satisfied isn’t the right word. Realistic is as close to it as I can get.

As far as not being able to have two bad defensive games all season, Clemson gave up 47 and 49 last season, Bama 48 and 46, Ohio state 52 and 35 in six games.

The days of dominant defenses is over.

Advertisement
This is a new era of college football and even the best defenses in the country get lit up from time to time now.

Clemson has probably had the best defense in the country the past 5 years, and got torched by Ohio St - 49 points at the beginning of the 4th quarter and 639 yards.

I agree our defense needed to make changes after the end of last season, but fans need to adjust their expectations as well. Even the best defenses are going to get blown up from time to time.

This is a common misconception on this board. We always think we have a talent advantage, but in reality we rarely do outside of a couple positions.

if we were truly more talented then other teams we wouldn’t struggle the way we have.

Many get way to caught up in the star ratings.

I will say we have some nice pieces we can work with though. King, Mallory, Zion, TS, Bolden are guys that proven they can play and at a solid level. But the rest is very average at best. There is a lot of potential with the young guys, but it’s just potential till they can show it on the field.
We're certainly at a disadvantage at LB

My issue is diaz will never be removed so i hope for the best if we could trade a down year that guarantee’s we get a good coach id take it any day of the week but were stuck sadly

Advertisement
Back