Year 3

M3N

Senior
Alright folks ..year 3 of the Diaz HC era is almost upon us. As some might recall, year 3 is very telling for good or for worse. Most good coaches see a big leap in their 3rd year.

Will we see a better team this fall? Will we see a team that puts all 3 phases together?

Some positives that bode well:

-Year 3 of the S&C Program
-Everyone back on offense including the offensive staff minus Brevin
-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?

Advertisement
Alright folks ..year 3 of the Diaz HC era is almost upon us. As some might recall, year 3 is very telling for good or for worse. Most good coaches see a big leap in their 3rd year.

Will we see a better team this fall? Will we see a team that puts all 3 phases together?

-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?
I think it’s pretty reasonable actually. OL should be improved but we have to see it and Game 1 against Bama is a brutal place to begin.

We shall be improved, there is no doubt about that. But if we cant win the coastal then it's time to bring in Urban...

#edit for implied irony...

Last edited:
I have a constant negative feeling about this season, specifically that if we get blown out by Bama, a couple key players get injured, we turn around and lose the next week App State and the season takes a death spiral after that.

I’m always assuming the worst possible outcome when it comes to the Canes, and I constantly think about this season being some sort of nightmare.

I think o line will be better having more mass up front with ND & Rivers. Lashlee has a history of jumps in production in year 2 everywhere he's been so hopeful that trend continues. Rambo, Restrepo, and K. Smith should all be ready to help Harley. Rookie kickers definitely bring the anxiety always. Linebacker is definitely a huge concern and will be our Achilles heel. Secondary should improve under T Rob. D line should be more technically sound but we lose a ton of difference makers at d end & Simpson/Shopping need to find a way to convince Manny to ease up on the penetrate at all costs philosophy which leaves us vulnerable vs good running teams. I see us a 8-10 win team. I just want to see competence & consistency from all 3 phases of the game.

Advertisement
Corps

I think the offense will improve and the defense will regress.

The light is not going to come on in Mannys head. It's year 6 of his defense, and still relying on transfers and have no linebackers. Still getting steamrolled by UNC.
Outside of losing Phillips I think we actually improve the talent with TS. We also upgraded the coaching a good bit with Simpson and TRob. Curious as to why you think they well regress considering last year was sub standard

possum drumming GIF

Advertisement

-Removing Blake Baker
-Tattoed Lou

Weak spots:

-unproven kicker
- LB core
- losing Phillips
- OL is still a ?
-WR core minus Harley

What y’all think?
I think Rambo will be a solid receiver for us and hopefully some other WRs will step up. Restrepo is my dark horse. If his work ethnic translates to game time then the WR core may be solid. Keshaun Smith might make some big time plays as well. I don’t have any facts to back it up but I have a feeling our WRs will be much improved from last year (almost obvious) and could very well be a strength of the team. If our Oline can take a huge step forward this year our offense can be a serious problem this year. The Oline has experience and game reps to make it a reality 🙏 🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞

Advertisement
Over the years, I’ve learned to not get too hyped or too mopey.

I agree year 2 for Laslee with a full spring and summer, the O should be improved. I’m fairly optimistic about the OL. Lots of experience, tackles should be good and big Vaughn and Rivers should help Gaynor in the middle.

I believe we’ll be really good on the backend of the D. The obvious concern is LB. There’s plenty of talent on the DLine. Will be interesting to see how Manny calls it.

9/4 can’t get here soon enough.

Advertisement
If Pope and Wiggins continue to get real playing time, we have a very serious problem on our hands.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I will always root for any Cane and I still hope and pray that they both can turn it around and live up to the hype, especially Pope!!! If they do FN GREAT we will have a great problem to have. With that being said, I just don’t think it’s in the cards for those 2 at this stage in their careers so if they are getting a lot of playing time we are ***ked and other receivers didn’t step up. I would love more than anything to be wrong about that and I sincerely hope Pope and Wiggins prove me wrong and ball out of control. The talent is definitely there to do so they just need to get their confidence and consistency sorted out. I pray 🙏 that they can and make me eat my words because like I said any player that chose to be a CANE has my respect and I want nothing more then for them to succeed. Especially south Florida players because they didn’t choose to **** on the home town team like some others do they chose to put on for their city and I respect the ***c out of that!!!

I have a constant negative feeling about this season, specifically that if we get blown out by Bama, a couple key players get injured, we turn around and lose the next week App State and the season takes a death spiral after that.

I’m always assuming the worst possible outcome when it comes to the Canes, and I constantly think about this season being some sort of nightmare.
You should stop following sports. There are many better ways for you to find joy in your life.

Come back when we are winners and all will be forgiven.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I will always root for any Cane and I still hope and pray that they both can turn it around and live up to the hype, especially Pope!!! If they do FN GREAT we will have a great problem to have. With that being said, I just don’t think it’s in the cards for those 2 at this stage in their careers so if they are getting a lot of playing time we are ***ked and other receivers didn’t step up. I would love more than anything to be wrong about that and I sincerely hope Pope and Wiggins prove me wrong and ball out of control. The talent is definitely there to do so they just need to get their confidence and consistency sorted out. I pray 🙏 that they can and make me eat my words because like I said any player that chose to be a CANE has my respect and I want nothing more then for them to succeed. Especially south Florida players because they didn’t choose to **** on the home town team like some others do they chose to put on for their city and I respect the ***c out of that!!!

I could see Pope putting it together but Wiggins is a lost cause. He drops WAY too many balls that I could catch.

My issue with Pope is he really seems to either have no wiggle or terrible vision. Seems like we've often schemed him on short passes to break them off and he just gets tackled at the LOS.

Over the years, I’ve learned to not get too hyped or too mopey.

I agree year 2 for Laslee with a full spring and summer, the O should be improved. I’m fairly optimistic about the OL. Lots of experience, tackles should be good and big Vaughn and Rivers should help Gaynor in the middle.

I believe we’ll be really good on the backend of the D. The obvious concern is LB. There’s plenty of talent on the DLine. Will be interesting to see how Manny calls it.

9/4 can’t get here soon enough.

Honestly wonder how much of the struggles at LB/defense were the result of Baker. He just seemed kind of lifeless and there. I like that we have more experience with the LB's who have speed, but was really hoping we'd pick up a veteran MLB in the portal. The DL will be fine. Ford is a monster, Nesta has plenty of experience and we've never had an issue at DE under Diaz. Combine that with Simpson coming back and I think they'll surprise people.

Advertisement
Back