Year 3

Advertisement
Have you considered you may be missing the fact that upgrades to the staff means more salaries paid out, meaning less to pay a top-notch DC? I don't think it's tenable over the long term either but I think this move was more a ramification of bringing in TRob/Simpson/Shoop, which are major upgrades over the previous staff.

That's a reasonable approach/position and thank you for the thoughtful response.

Yes, I have considered that. If that is the reason for the approach taken, then Manny is not getting the support from above that he needs and is being set up for failure. I've been consistent in my opinion/advocacy that the problem holding this program back is not Manny (per se), or the coaches that have come before him, the issue is much bigger and higher level than the HC.

How did the team not meet expectations last year with a brand new offense that got four days to install? The bowl game was 50/50 and we should have won if the tipped pass INT was called correctly. Meaning the only real losses on the schedule were to Clemson and UNC. I'd say for a second year head coach, and considering where Miami has been for years now, with a DISASTROUS offense and empty QB room, last year met expectations.
Depends on your expectations. I expected to get beat by Clemson but I certainly didn't expect to get ******* stomped by unc. I give the okie game a wash because players opted out and King got injured. So for me, last year did not meet expectations but I'll give the whole season a wash because it was just a ****ed up year. I'm happy about the general positive movement but imo this year will tell us a whole lot more about where we're headed and what we need to do to get back to the top.
This is as close to a no excuses year as it gets for Manny.

I want to see a team that is consistent and doesn’t play with false bravado. I’d like to see them make some plays early in the Bama game and keep focused and not get roudy bc they made a play early to then have Bama stomp their guts as the game goes on. I feel like a lot of the time we get too excited and think we are great while not consistently making plays.

Where does this confidence come from? I legitimately don’t understand.
If I might offer this from another thread, to assist you in your quest:

This isn't your typical "year 3" roster. There's almost 90 scholarship players with high-profile stars at every position. It's as healthy and deep of a team as we've had since at least the Shannon era. No Trevor Lawrence, no Notre Dame...if we can't WTACC this year then what's it going to take?

Advertisement
Personal attacks
Coaching. LMFAO. You say the dumbest **** I've ever heard on here, you think you sound cool, and you don't. Maybe take a minute to stop smelling your own farts.

It's all about money. Take a look at all the schools that have won a ring in the last 20 years. Remove us (as the least recent champion) and they all have one very important aspect in common.

Saban is not the greatest coach in the world. He has an army of qualified analysts, piles of cash for facilities, gets anything he wants from the university and has all the bag men in the world. If he loses a coordinator, he has the money to replace him with another one just as good.

College football is not the same sport it was 20 years ago.
Please Please Please whatever you do please don't mistake that suicide pill for Tylenol and speaking of dumb :****:. I didn't realize we needed money to keep UNC from trashing our defense, losing to Duke, FIU, Latech and Okie St. You ***g@ts keep changing up the excuses every fu@kin' year

Last edited:
That's a reasonable approach/position and thank you for the thoughtful response.

Yes, I have considered that. If that is the reason for the approach taken, then Manny is not getting the support from above that he needs and is being set up for failure. I've been consistent in my opinion/advocacy that the problem holding this program back is not Manny (per se), or the coaches that have come before him, the issue is much bigger and higher level than the HC.

The issue is the lack of booster support, i.e., fan money. If you want to get right down to it.That’s the difference between us and the top SEC programs. On the one hand mountains of cash to hire mountains of coaches and support staff on the other hand we have to beg like street paupers to finish an indoor facility.

Advertisement
I understand that I this is the best team we’ve had on paper in over a decade. But I still don’t understand why that leads people to believe we’re gonna beat Bama.
I was being funny; I do hope we upset them and win the ACC. That post I quoted shows fan base issue: unrealistically elevating our talent; there are no "high-profile stars at every position" No sir, not on the Cane's O-line, not a one. You need an above average O-line to win big games and conference titles, in other words you have to run an offense that starts with blocking which gives a play time to develop . And I'm still waiting to see "average" in this one.

Anything less than 11-1 get this guy TF outta my face!

By year 3 the program should be rollin'.
First 3 Years as College Head Coaching Career for Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney

Saban at Michigan State
1995: 6-5-1
1996: 6-6
1997: 7-6

Swinney at Clemson:
2009 (first full year): 9–5
2010: 6–6
2011: 10–3

Diaz at Miami:
2019: 6-7
2020: 8-3
2021: ?

First 3 Years as College Head Coaching Career for Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney

Saban at Michigan State
1995: 6-5-1
1996: 6-6
1997: 7-6

Swinney at Clemson:
2009 (first full year): 9–5
2010: 6–6
2011: 10–3

Diaz at Miami:
2019: 6-7
2020: 8-3
2021: ?
None of those schools are Miami.
We have a severe talent advantage over 10/11 of our opponents. (or at least we should)

Advertisement
The issue is the lack of booster support, i.e., fan money. If you want to get right down to it.That’s the difference between us and the top SEC programs. On the one hand mountains of cash to hire mountains of coaches and support staff on the other hand we have to beg like street paupers to finish an indoor facility.

Look at bama's roster of coaches...last count I counted 15 analysts.

According to recruiting rankings? Miami fans have always overranked their players. LOL
We're not the ones who do the rankings, guy. This is according to every available recruiting service.

You're telling me we don't have more talent than UNC, Pitt, NC State, Virginia, Duke, etc.
C'mon man.

You can't compare Saban's Michigan State and Dabo's Clemson to what Miami is right now.
We just had a 10-win season not long ago and Manny has been here for yearrrrs now.

Advertisement
We're not the ones who do the rankings, guy. This is according to every available recruiting service.

You're telling me we don't have more talent than UNC, Pitt, NC State, Virginia, Duke, etc.
C'mon man.

You can't compare Saban's Michigan State and Dabo's Clemson to what Miami is right now.
We just had a 10-win season not long ago and Manny has been here for yearrrrs now.
2 years as Head Coach. That is it my friend. When he was D coordinator, he had one of the top D's in the nation, without any doubt.

11-1 with loss to Bama = my expectations
10-2 also losing to UNC = most realistic
9-3 with a bad loss = fireable if your AD cares
7-5 disaster season = what our AD will deem fireable

You’re not firing a coach after going 9-3 in his 3rd year, improving his record each year and with recruiting being positive. Even just financially, you will be burning coaches every 3 years

Come on dude, show me an AD who fires a third year coach after a 9-3 regular season.

Advertisement
Back