Pro Wrestling WWE MEGA THREAD

It’s going to be one of Rhodes/Zayn/Austin/Rock.

If I had to guess, I’d say The Rock based on the fact that Reigns was on Fallon last night and Fallon made it a point to bring up a possible match between the two. I know there have been reports that The Rock turned down the match but it’s very telling IMO that Fallon brought it up. He obviously was instructed to do that as NBC owns Peacock which will be airing the Rumble + Mania.
I wouldn’t mind seeing The Rock win it all. He’s still in better shape than Austin . He could come out around the same spot as Edge did and eventually win it all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Men’s Rumble match is going on first, so the winner definitely isn’t going to be Rock or Austin.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Thurston is leaving out the fact that Raw 30 took place in Jan which provided a huge uplift to the numbers. There wasn’t a giant reunion show last year.

WWE was flat Dec 2022 vs Dec 2021
Raw didn’t drop off much this week after the reunion show. And look at the comps on the rest of cable, including AEW.

Raw didn’t drop off much this week after the reunion show. And look at the comps on the rest of cable, including AEW.
No. Raw 30 was a good show (hour 1 was fantastic). Then Monday was the follow up to a very strong RR.

The real test will be how RAW is in five weeks. It took six weeks for WWE to completely lose the extra 2M viewers who came in for RAW 25 back in 2018. If Levesque can retain a portion of them, WWE is ahead.

Advertisement
They had a massive Rumble bump with the end of MNF.

Its the Code Man, too.

But as Gojira stated, lets see where they are at in a few weeks.
What about November and December? They seem to be significantly outperforming cable in general and AEW.

What about November and December? They seem to be significantly outperforming cable in general and AEW.

cody-rhodes.gif

Have not looked at the numbers too in depth, been very busy. WWE had nice numbers for January.

WWE has been on an upswing...maybe its the TV appealing to more people, maybe it is the interest that is generated by the outside stuff (Vince coming back, Saudi deal stuff, etc.), maybe its just the timing. January tends to be a bounce back for ratings annually...Rumble/Mania/no football/its winter...but some of those numbers are nice. Perhaps a year from now, this YoY its more of an aberration. AEWs ratings this January look like an aberration from 22.

AEW a year ago...little different, they just moved to TBS, interest was a bit higher overall...this year, the YoY numbers not great, but they were popping higher a year ago. I don't even look @ Rampage...its on Friday nights at 10pm, unless you are putting CM Punk on there every week exclusively, I'm not sure what more you can expect at this point. Its become a B show and it gets ratings like a B show. Chris Harrington has said that Rampage gets strong DVR watches, but no one cares about that for this discussion.

I hate most WWE TV, but even I tune in for the Codester.

cody-rhodes-aew.gif

cody-rhodes.gif

Have not looked at the numbers too in depth, been very busy. WWE had nice numbers for January.

WWE has been on an upswing...maybe its the TV appealing to more people, maybe it is the interest that is generated by the outside stuff (Vince coming back, Saudi deal stuff, etc.), maybe its just the timing. January tends to be a bounce back for ratings annually...Rumble/Mania/no football/its winter...but some of those numbers are nice. Perhaps a year from now, this YoY its more of an aberration. AEWs ratings this January look like an aberration from 22.

AEW a year ago...little different, they just moved to TBS, interest was a bit higher overall...this year, the YoY numbers not great, but they were popping higher a year ago. I don't even look @ Rampage...its on Friday nights at 10pm, unless you are putting CM Punk on there every week exclusively, I'm not sure what more you can expect at this point. Its become a B show and it gets ratings like a B show. Chris Harrington has said that Rampage gets strong DVR watches, but no one cares about that for this discussion.

I hate most WWE TV, but even I tune in for the Codester.

cody-rhodes-aew.gif
Multiple factors.

Both companies have limited, older fanbases. AEW’s is a subsection of WWE, made up more of lapsed WWE fans driven off by Vince’s excesses.

Paul Levesque has stabilized WWE booking, goinng for the long hanging fruit of restoring consistency in booking. WWE also has the goodwill of 40 years as an industry leader and is a nostalgia fox for many. It could have Rock Boogz on the main event of WM and they would sell out a stadium.

AEW floundered after buying ROH, introducing a host of none established wrestlers with no storylines and little characters. Then you add the drama which removed four top wrestlers at the end of this summer. They’re having to rebuild at the same time that their reason for being - to provide an alternative to Vince’s erratic WWE - has been taken away.

Advertisement
Back