WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

Who would trust our offense?

If your son were a high level WR or QB recruit with offers from everybody, would you advise him to go to Miami right now?

I wouldn't even think about it until I saw him bring in an esatblished OC and offensive staff that can develop and highlight elite QB and WR play and assured me he'd be hands off the offense.

The only 3 positions on offense I'd advise to go to Miami right now are TE, RB, and OL. And I know this is shocking but we recruited all 3 pretty well and did poorly at WR and QB.

Thank God RayRay and Robby Washington are big Miami fans and from Miami and want to put on for their home but this WR class would have been abysmal without that.

Advertisement
They don’t trust the offense here, it’s pretty simple when you look at it. I thought we at least would be able to land some FCS or G5 WRs but even they are getting better offers then I expected. WRs want to go where they believe they can put up big numbers to showcase their talent and unfortunately no one believes that’s us right now. Best thing to do is get some elite blocking WRs 😂. Might as well embrace the run first mindset if it’s not changing.
Run first isn’t even the problem. Uga is a run first team. **** even fsu landed a 5 star wr and they are run first. It’s the fact the passing game was basically none existent

Advertisement
If anything this season with Miami showed me Mario isn’t stubborn, that he is open to change, he doesn’t want to run it everytime,and he isn’t married to a system.

But y’all do you and regurgitate takes from quackillustrated.com or whatever Oregon blog that has put out that take.
Proof is in the pudding (or recruiting).

Let me know next time he gets a true WR1 to sign or transfer here and when we get a top 100 player at QB.

There is a lot of noise on the trail out there negative recruiting against him and him saying "look at how many 3 yard routes we threw last year" isn't enough to counter them.

I'm sorry, but the logic behind this is that Miami is trailing most of the time because of their inability to score points, therefore needing to throw the ball because it creates bigger yardage per play.

Most of the passing leaders in terms of attempts are either Air Raid based offenses or teams with gigantic losing records like Akron and Temple, Indiana and Iowa State.

No...

We were blown out by FSU and MTSU jumped on us early, but I don't recall Gattis completely abandoning the running-game the way Lashlee did the year before.

Furthermore, the real logic here is the four playoff teams this season all ran the ball more than they passed (Michigan 62%; TCU 56%; OSU 53%; UGA 52%).

Michigan ran it ~62% of the time but the porsters here believe Mario's physical offensive philosophy to be outdated, or whatever.

In fact, if you look at Oregon's Rushing Percentage of Total Offense under Mario you'll see his concept of run/pass balance was consistent with the four playoff teams this season.
  • 2018 55%
  • 2019 53%
  • 2020 55%
  • 2021 56%
If you want to take it a step further, the talent and depth of the 4 playoff teams was better than what Mario had to work with last season and that's what really dictates a lot of the outcomes we want. These stats say the best teams (with the best talent and coaching) run the ball more than they pass.

Mario actually showed a willingness to pass a lot more once he saw in person how it was more suitable for TVD to run heavy RPO.

But when the offense doesn’t score, players won’t be attracted to that and the scheme is a moot point. It’s as simple as that.

Advertisement
For the one hundredth time it’s not a run Vs pass issue. It’s play design , no creativity , horrible route concepts and no usage of pace / space. It’s caveman ****.

Yup.

And it's also not "WRs can't get separation" on every play.

You run 3 WRs into the same spot in the middle of the field, ain't nobody gettin' open.

Proof is in the pudding (or recruiting).

Let me know next time he gets a true WR1 to sign or transfer here and when we get a top 100 player at QB.

There is a lot of noise on the trail out there negative recruiting against him and him saying "look at how many 3 yard routes we threw last year" isn't enough to counter them.

The talent-level and depth of last year's team isn't reflective of what Mario wants Miami to look like and, as a result, neither was the product on the field.

It's unreasonable to make declarations about Mario's philosophy or the direction of the program before he flips the roster; yet the noise and perceptions exist. The key is to stay true to who you are and change directions like a flag in the wind.

Stay tuned...

Advertisement
No...

We were blown out by FSU and MTSU jumped on us early, but I don't recall Gattis completely abandoning the running-game the way Lashlee did the year before.

Furthermore, the real logic here is the four playoff teams this season all ran the ball more than they passed (Michigan 62%; TCU 56%; OSU 53%; UGA 52%).

Michigan ran it ~62% of the time but the porsters here believe Mario's physical offensive philosophy to be outdated, or whatever.

In fact, if you look at Oregon's Rushing Percentage of Total Offense under Mario you'll see his concept of run/pass balance was consistent with the four playoff teams this season.
  • 2018 55%
  • 2019 53%
  • 2020 55%
  • 2021 56%
If you want to take it a step further, the talent and depth of the 4 playoff teams was better than what Mario had to work with last season and that's what really dictates a lot of the outcomes we want. These stats say the best teams (with the best talent and coaching) run the ball more than they pass.
We threw the ball against MTSU 51 times.

Yes, because the four teams were all ahead by larger margins.

Its that simple.

For the one hundredth time it’s not a run Vs pass issue. It’s play design , no creativity , horrible route concepts and no usage of pace / space. It’s caveman ****.
Exactly. Everybody here arguing about run v pass attempts just don't get it.

Even his run game is illogical. If you need a 4th and 1, what did he do? Hey yo we need MORE HELMETS inside the hashes. Not enough blockers is the problem. WILL MALLORY, BRASHARD SMITH, MICHAEL REDDING GET ON THE LOS AND BLOCK!!!

Like, are you fckin kidding me? Go 5 wide and do a qb sneak with jacurri. Thats so much easier than trying to run through 11 guys. Thats why our running game wasnt even explosive.

And everything you named in the passing game. Pace and space specifically. Its tragic.

We threw the ball against MTSU 51 times.

Yes, because the four teams were all ahead by larger margins.

Its that simple.
A lot of the times, it's not the amount of passes that we have in a game, but it's the type of passes that we have. All these sideways passes won't get us yards if the other team has no fear that we will burn them deep if they sell out on stopping the bubble screen action. If we were getting some big pass plays, we wouldn't need as many and would be a lot more successful. It's hard to tell from TV view, but either our WRs are not getting open down field because they can't or because the routes that they are running are taking too long and we can't protect long enough. I'm sure the QBs are scared to stand there waiting for long developing routes to become open and either scramble, get killed or settle for something short right away. You guys that are able to attend games would know better as you can see the whole field and what is happening down the field.

Advertisement
Exactly. Everybody here arguing about run v pass attempts just don't get it.

And everything you named in the passing game. Pace and space specifically. Its tragic.

Pace and space is right.

You get a lot more WR separation...when there is ACTUAL separation between all of our WRs...

You line them all up tight and they all start running into each other. Saw THAT too many times this year.

True, but people falsely claim that good teams run the ball more than they pass without adding any context.

Its just me responding to this. We're all in agreement Gattis needs to be fired.

Pace and space is right.

You get a lot more WR separation...when there is ACTUAL separation between all of our WRs...

You line them all up tight and they all start running into each other. Saw THAT too many times this year.
Space causes so much trouble for defenses. Tennessee and Ole Miss run the ball terrific but spread that thing out past the hashes. That way you put just as much pressure on the defense vertically / horizontally. We’d much rather like up and beat our heads into a brick wall playing caveman ball. More numbers bro.

Advertisement
Back