WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

When No D put up that debacle in Duke Johnson Freshman year, i realize he was the problem, he was horrible. I turnt on Golden when i realized he had no intention of getting rid of No D. Cristobal holding on to Gattis feels similar. He got a mulligan this year. That sh!!t is over.

Advertisement
Nah, the Mope Squad turns EVERY thread into an attack on Mario (and Gattis, obviously).
Because Gattis (and the perception of what Mario wants to do on offense) is by far our biggest problem on offense. And so far we’ve seen nothing done to address the problem despite whiffing on WR after WR in HS and portal recruiting.

Willie Taggart hired Arroyo (and Leavitt), and Mario retained them. But he didn't actually choose Arroyo on his own.

He also hired Scott Satterfield, but I guess we don't want to name names that don't fit the narrative.

Stop with the "preferred style of offense".
If Arroyo was his OC he hired him. Retained is just what you call it when he was working the same job under previous management.

You came up with one name that is supposed to disprove my point? And you came up with Satterfield, who runs an uptempo spread running attack. A guy who runs the balls a ton is the guy who is supposed to show everyone that Mario isn’t married to the run game?

Last edited:
When No D put up that debacle in Duke Johnson Freshman year, i realize he was the problem, he was horrible. I turnt on Golden when i realized he had no intention of getting rid of No D. Cristobal holding on to Gattis feels similar. He got a mulligan this year. That sh!!t is over.

At least with Golden, it was somewhat understandable why he didn't want to fire his friend. It cost him his HC job, but hey, sacrificing an amazing job because of loyalty to a friend is something you don't see every day. If Cristobal keeps Gattis, it would only be because Cristobal is too prideful to admit he made a mistake.

Because Gattis (and the perception of what Mario wants to do on offense) is by far our biggest problem on offense. And so far we’ve seen nothing done to address the problem despite whiffing on WR after WR in HS and portal recruiting.

And there's a sizable thread on Gattis. Dedicated to Gattis. All about Gattis.

Mopes don't have to mope in every thread, but the feel compelled to do so.

Advertisement
If Arroyo was his OC he hired him. Retained is just what you call it when he was working the same job under previous management.

You came up with one name that is supposed to disprove my point? And you came up with Satterfield, who runs an uptempo spread running attack. A guy who runs the balls a ton is the guy who is supposed to show everyone that Mario isn’t married to the run game?

Wrong. He didn't choose Arroyo. He retained Arroyo (and Leavitt) to keep the coaching staff in place, Taggart had just hired everyone 11 months earlier.

If you want to play semantic games, that's your choice. The reality is that Mario kept the entire staff, just like JJ retained all of Schnellenberger's assistants when he took over.

So you listed three "hired" OCs, when one of the names you gave was bogus, and you omitted four other OCs that Mario hired, one of whom was Satterfield.

I know you're not going to admit to spinning a narrative, but you are.

For the one hundredth time it’s not a run Vs pass issue. It’s play design , no creativity , horrible route concepts and no usage of pace / space. It’s caveman ****.
What kind of passing concepts would you like to see him start using?

Wrong. He didn't choose Arroyo. He retained Arroyo (and Leavitt) to keep the coaching staff in place, Taggart had just hired everyone 11 months earlier.

If you want to play semantic games, that's your choice. The reality is that Mario kept the entire staff, just like JJ retained all of Schnellenberger's assistants when he took over.

So you listed three "hired" OCs, when one of the names you gave was bogus, and you omitted four other OCs that Mario hired, one of whom was Satterfield.

I know you're not going to admit to spinning a narrative, but you are.
By “semantics” you mean reality. If he kept them he rehired them.

I’m not spinning any narrative it’s a stigma bc it’s the truth.

Advertisement
The talent-level and depth of last year's team isn't reflective of what Mario wants Miami to look like and, as a result, neither was the product on the field.

It's unreasonable to make declarations about Mario's philosophy or the direction of the program before he flips the roster; yet the noise and perceptions exist. The key is to stay true to who you are and change directions like a flag in the wind.

Stay tuned...
The play on the field was not reflective of the talent/roster Mario inherited.

I'm not saying we had a top 20 roster (even though that's what the composite rankings say) but we absolutely did not have a bottom tier roster.

The only team we lost to that could clearly claim to me more talented than us was A&M.

Every other team we lost to outcoached us.

TCU averaged 38 rushing attempts 30 attempts per game

Miami averaged 34 running and 34 passing

FSU averaged 39 rushing 30 passing

Florida averaged 36 rushing 28 passing

UGA averaged 36 rushing 33 passing

Tennessee averaged 40 rushing 32 passing

Michigan averaged 42 rushing 26 passing

Ohio State averaged 35 rushing 31 passing attempts

Miami averaged more passing attempts than all these schools per game yet Mario wants to run it everytime bro!!
Well we were balanced....
meek mill drake GIF

Advertisement
Wow, that video shows how bad it was. Every single receiver was within a 20 yard radius. So defenders could react to and defend multiple receivers at the same time.

Horrible. Not only were all of the receivers running to spots near one another, they were running to spots very near a defender. Watch it again and focus only on the back half of the defense. Dudes only had to shuffle over 4-7 yards to maintain coverage. And I bet you can pull a couple of those per game.

This is a thread about a WR recruit. And what is our biggest obstacle in WR recruiting?
Understood except i'd argue that the biggest obstacle in our not getting a top WR is the fact that we haven't had a first round WR since Dorsett and he's hardly done a thing in the league. The last great one was probably Andre Johnson, 20 years ago. Gattis has been here 1 year......he's not responsible for the last 15-20 years of not getting top WRs either. So while i don't like him, its not like we fire him tomorrow and Trader, Smith, and everyone else comes running home while music plays in the background. We still have the same history. And everyone here seems to think it gets fixed magically just on one hire. Same with Enis, same with whomever before. We've got a bigger overall problem that takes a bit to fix.

Advertisement
Understood except i'd argue that the biggest obstacle in our not getting a top WR is the fact that we haven't had a first round WR since Dorsett and he's hardly done a thing in the league. The last great one was probably Andre Johnson, 20 years ago. Gattis has been here 1 year......he's not responsible for the last 15-20 years of not getting top WRs either. So while i don't like him, its not like we fire him tomorrow and Trader, Smith, and everyone else comes running home while music plays in the background. We still have the same history. And everyone here seems to think it gets fixed magically just on one hire. Same with Enis, same with whomever before. We've got a bigger overall problem that takes a bit to fix.
If we fire Gattis tomorrow and hire an OC capable of putting 45/50 burgers on (almost) everybody I like our chances for all the top kids in 2024 and in the portal.

Elite WRs could care less about the numbers of the last 15-20 years and why should they?

LSU pre-Brady fixed the offense in 1 year, the same as Tennessee and USC. It's not rocket science.

Mario doesn’t call plays nor design the offense.

This is a Gattis problem. Hire someone else who has a creative offense that features the playmakers and let him do his thing.
I absolutely agree thats what he should do but this IS marios preferred offense. His time at oregon showed this is what he likes.

Like you, i truly hope he brings in a great OC and lets them run what will work.

Not doubting this nor am I surprised but what is the source of this stat? Reason I’m not surprised is that we spent a ton of time coming back from behind and were forced to pass. Reality is that the design of the offense from a pass perspective was cumbersome.
Reality is.... the problem with this offense is the muhfuccin idiot that's running it. He don't know how to adjust to what the fucc the defense is taking away or giving him. He don't know how to effectively use formations and or motions to create mismatches. It's not the passing vs. running, its WHEN we're passing vs. when we run it. You can't run the ball on EVERY 1st down. You can't play action on 3rd and 14. It's like he's just reaching into a bag and grabbing a card that has the next formation and play drawn on it, and not watching the game. No checks if the def. is aligned to take what we want to do... no checks if they're blitzing. No hot routes. No TE/RB screens. A competent OC can take this basic *** offense, tweak what we have, add about 3 formations, 5 plays, some basic motions (X,Y, Z, F, H, and orbit), put some solid checks in, sprinkle in a little tempo, and this offense can hum. A COMPETENT OC, tho!

Advertisement
Back