WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

TCU averaged 38 rushing attempts 30 attempts per game

Miami averaged 34 running and 34 passing

FSU averaged 39 rushing 30 passing

Florida averaged 36 rushing 28 passing

UGA averaged 36 rushing 33 passing

Tennessee averaged 40 rushing 32 passing

Michigan averaged 42 rushing 26 passing

Ohio State averaged 35 rushing 31 passing attempts

Miami averaged more passing attempts than all these schools per game yet Mario wants to run it everytime bro!!

That's great and all, but how many of those teams trailed in games and had to sling it like mad to try and catch up?

Very few. Us, you know the story there.

If you're bored, post those schools PPG and their opponents PPG

Advertisement
Great post, but the mouth-breathers can't comprehend logic. The higher levels of their brain aren't activated and, unfortunately, they don't realize Mario is fixing the problem as we speak.

They'll be back with the same nonsense, eventually...
I'm sorry, but the logic behind this is that Miami is trailing most of the time because of their inability to score points, therefore needing to throw the ball because it creates bigger yardage per play.

Most of the passing leaders in terms of attempts are either Air Raid based offenses or teams with gigantic losing records like Akron and Temple, Indiana and Iowa State.

But I doubt the last staff would have have wiffed kn every receiver it recruited
At least they would last the second tier wrs
This staff can’t land anyone above 5 10
Who knows... But we know Lashlee would’ve been been gone regardless. Even if Manny had stayed, we don’t know who the OC would be.

Still hoping we can sign some guys… but not looking too promising right now.

Idk how he shakes the narrative other than a complete 180 which will never happen
Air Raid doesn't win championships. There has to be balance. So I agree that total 180 will never happen. But my guess is we see something more like the Sonny Dykes offense next season. Not saying Garrett Riley will be our OC but it will look similar. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Advertisement
He hired Gattis. He hired Moorhead. He hired Arroyo. He has a type. He has a preferred style of offense.

Willie Taggart hired Arroyo (and Leavitt), and Mario retained them. But he didn't actually choose Arroyo on his own.

He also hired Scott Satterfield, but I guess we don't want to name names that don't fit the narrative.

Stop with the "preferred style of offense".

Last 5 games we got blown out 3 times, yet averaged 25 pass attempts per game.

So that puts a hole in we were getting blown out had to pass more theory.

First 7 games when we had a competent throwing QB, we averaged 40 pass attempts per game. We were in close games or leading in those much moreso than last 5 games.

My preference isn’t Gattis style offense btw.

This means nothing. GT ran it 50 times a game with Paul Johnson and 5 star backs weren’t going there. It’s about the system. Nobody cares if you throw it 50 times a game if your route tree sucks and doesn’t work.
Exactly, outside wr's want to see explosive passing plays down the field. They want ESPN highlights.

Last edited:
Idk how he shakes the narrative other than a complete 180 which will never happen
That's frustrating.

I agree that his "plan" is probably the better pathway to long term success and consistency. I'd love to never need 5* WRs and still win natl titles with good line play and good RBs and TEs and serviceable WRs and a dominant defense.

Problem is that is tough to build and takes time and lots of winning.

His better immediate path to success is what TCU did this year.

He needs to pass the ball and win some games or he'll never overcome his reputation of:
1. Ruining quarterbacks
2. Run first mentality

Anybody that recruits against us had PLENTY of ammo to do so.

Advertisement
That's frustrating.

I agree that his "plan" is probably the better pathway to long term success and consistency. I'd love to never need 5* WRs and still win natl titles with good line play and good RBs and TEs and serviceable WRs and a dominant defense.

Problem is that is tough to build and takes time and lots of winning.

His better immediate path to success is what TCU did this year.

He needs to pass the ball and win some games or he'll never overcome his reputation of:
1. Ruining quarterbacks
2. Run first mentality

Anybody that recruits against us had PLENTY of ammo to do so.
The reason I say we can’t do that is because the location of Miami. It’s almost impossible for us to be a Georgia clone. The area they live in produce certain body types and positions a lot more on top of what they recruit nationally. It’s almost like 5 star WR’s are born in south Florida every day. We can’t ignore them and be successful

Last edited:
The reason I say we can’t do that is because the location of Miami. It’s almost impossible for us to be a Georgia clone. The area they live in produce certain body types and positions a lot more on top of what they recruit nationally. It’s almost like 5 star WR’s are born in south Florida ever day. We can’t ignore them and be successful
So Mario wants to build something that's hard and unlikely and counter to the natural talent in our area and is unlikely to change his mindset?

Smh...

I'm going to church....

It’s both. It’s gattis especially but even if he leaves it’s still the stigma about Mario. People who knew anything about gattis knew he was like this but it was kept hushed at Michigan. There are wr kids in Texas I work out with for 7 on 7 purposes who wanna visit Miami but they know Mario Cristobal doesn’t pass the ball. He has a dark cloud over him

I’m going to try my best to spin this….here it goes….a few years back there was a “cloud” over Georgia and Kirby smart for being boring on offense. Some WR left the program and publicly it was talked about his offensive style.

well fast forward a few years and he has a championship and possibly going back to back with the same boring offense that doesn’t throw.

Now I’m not saying Mario will replicate that success but what Kirby did was recruit like a savage with top 3 class over and over. Stacked his trenches and brought in Bowers and Washington at TE(same thing Mario is doing with TE recruiting)

Mario wants to be what Michigan and Georgia are. Hard to argue that that style of offense and team can’t win big. Both programs continue to prove it can be done.

I’m not a fan of that pro style ground and pound style with passing typically only coming off play action.

They play ball control and limit turnovers. This is what Mario wants. We got to hope he can continue to stack top 5 type classes every year to build his roster to pull it off. Whether it’s gattis or someone else, Mario will still run similar offensive stuff at the end of the day.

We may get a top WR here and there the same way Michigan and Georgia do because Mario can recruit but we will never land WR classes like O$U even though all those type of kids are in our backyard.

It’s something I’ve come to terms with in regards to Mario and this offense moving forward. I don’t even pay attention to WR recruiting threads cause it doesn’t matter.

I pay attention who we are recruiting on the lines and at RB. That’s the key to this team

Not doubting this nor am I surprised but what is the source of this stat? Reason I’m not surprised is that we spent a ton of time coming back from behind and were forced to pass. Reality is that the design of the offense from a pass perspective was cumbersome.
This. And cumbersome is being generous.

Mario wanted to go power spread. Gattis got him the power part (at least until the OL broke down) but the spread was nonexistent. A high school team was more effective.

Based on last year, I can see how everyone (fans and recruits) has got the impression that Mario just wants to power it down people's throat. But my sense is that Mario is just reluctant to go full spread (or at least I hope that's the case).

Advertisement
I’m going to try my best to spin this….here it goes….a few years back their was a “cloud” over Georgia and Kirby smart for being boring on offense. Some WR left the program and publicly it was talked about his offensive style.

well fast forward a few years and his has a championship and possibly going back to back with the same boring offense that doesn’t throw.

Now I’m not saying Mario will replicate that success but what Kirby did was recruit like a savage with top 3 class over and over. Stacked his trenches and brought in Bowers and Washington at TE(same thing Mario is doing with TE recruiting)

Mario wants to be what Michigan and Georgia are. Hard to argue that that style of offense and team can’t win big. Both programs continue to prove it can be done.

I’m not a fan of that pro style ground and pound style with passing typically only coming off play action.

They play ball control and limit turnovers. This is what Mario wants. We got to hope he can continue to stack top 5 type classes every year to build his roster to pull it off. Whether it’s gattis or someone else, Mario will still run similar offensive stuff at the end of the day.

We may get a top WR here and there the same way Michigan and Georgia do because Mario can recruit but we will never land SR classes like O$U even though all those type of kids are in our backyard.

It’s something I’ve come to terms with in regards to Mario and this offense moving forward. I don’t even pay attention to WR recruiting threads cause it doesn’t matter.

I pay attention who we are recruiting on the lines and at RB. That’s the key to this team
UGA didnt win last year bc of their offense. their offense was better w Bowers and bc of him. they won tho bc Kirby finally got his NFL D together.

I think it’s laughable when people say we didn’t air it out enough… Gattis just has terrible route concepts, an Oline that was in shambles, and the biggest issue was he flat out can’t call a game… zero idea how to string plays together. With a bonus he legit cannot make in game adjustments he flat out is out classed by any DC with a pulse
LOL :pgdead:

Not a good combination.

Advertisement
UGA didnt win last year bc of their offense. their offense was better w Bowers and bc of him. they won tho bc Kirby finally got his NFL D together.

You are making my point. Mario doesn’t think you need to sling it around the field and put up 50 points to win. Defense and running wins. He has an NFL mentality.

I said it months ago, and then I have repeated it several times since. Mario is a micro-manager, and refuses to evolve and adapt to modern day football.

So far he has failed to accept the fact that his strengths are recruiting and identifying talent, and that his overwhelming weaknesses are his offensive philosophy and game day coaching. If he does not have an epiphany, he will be remembered as just another one of our failed HC.

Great OC’s want autonomy over their offense and the ability to bring in their own staff on that side of the ball, Mario (at least to this point) doesn’t vibe with that.

Expect more of the same on-field results and crappy WR recruiting until Mario either sees the light, or he gets fired in a few years.

Not much left at wr in the portal
They don’t trust the offense here, it’s pretty simple when you look at it. I thought we at least would be able to land some FCS or G5 WRs but even they are getting better offers then I expected. WRs want to go where they believe they can put up big numbers to showcase their talent and unfortunately no one believes that’s us right now. Best thing to do is get some elite blocking WRs 😂. Might as well embrace the run first mindset if it’s not changing.

Honestly, if we can’t even land a WR like Thornton, who loves Mario, because of how bad the offense was, how is that not a major wake-up call for Mario? It would seem he gave Mario a visit out of respect, but you can’t blame him for not wanting to commit if no changes have been made. He’s obviously not a dumb person, so it’s hard to believe he doesn’t see this.

My number one concern when Mario was hired was his reputation for being a bit stubborn. As of now, unfortunately it appears that concern was extremely valid. Hoping like **** to be proven wrong on that.

Advertisement
Back