WR Dont'e Thornton (Oregon transfer) is visiting this weekend LOL commits to Vols

TCU averaged 38 rushing attempts 30 attempts per game

Miami averaged 34 running and 34 passing

FSU averaged 39 rushing 30 passing

Florida averaged 36 rushing 28 passing

UGA averaged 36 rushing 33 passing

Tennessee averaged 40 rushing 32 passing

Michigan averaged 42 rushing 26 passing

Ohio State averaged 35 rushing 31 passing attempts

Miami averaged more passing attempts than all these schools per game yet Mario wants to run it everytime bro!!
This means nothing. GT ran it 50 times a game with Paul Johnson and 5 star backs weren’t going there. It’s about the system. Nobody cares if you throw it 50 times a game if your route tree sucks and doesn’t work.

Advertisement
This means nothing. GT ran it 50 times a game with Paul Johnson and 5 star backs weren’t going there. It’s about the system. Nobody cares if you throw it 50 times a game if your route tree sucks and doesn’t work.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Not doubting this nor am I surprised but what is the source of this stat? Reason I’m not surprised is that we spent a ton of time coming back from behind and were forced to pass. Reality is that the design of the offense from a pass perspective was cumbersome.
We also had QBs that struggled to complete a forward pass after TVD went down.

Our numbers were way more skewed towards running last 5 games.

Had TVD stayed healthy our pass/run would have favored pass more.

Last 5 games we averaged 25 pass attempts per game.

With TVD first 7 games we averaged 40 pass attempts per game.

My argument is about Mario wants to run it all the time. Route concepts are completely different discussion.

Advertisement
My argument is about Mario wants to run it all the time. Route concepts are completely different discussion.
You’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter if the excuse is Mario wants to run the ball a lot (which he has said multiple times), the problem is his offenses aren’t WR friendly. Whether or not the words these kids say are accurate, their point is.

You’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter if the excuse is Mario wants to run the ball a lot (which he has said multiple times), the problem is his offenses aren’t WR friendly. Whether or not the words these kids say are accurate, their point is.
I’ve heard Mario say he wants a balanced attack.

@DMoney has said several times Mario isn’t married to a particular system so how can we say it isn’t WR friendly? Maybe Gattis isn’t WR friendly?

Advertisement
Mario doesn’t pass the ball is just a flat out lie.

No one says Kirby Smart, Billy Napier, Jimbo Fisher, Mike Norvell doesn’t pass the ball. Their pass/throw percentages recently are all similar YET there is this huge perception that Mario runs it every play.

It’s ridiculous
perception is reality. Mario could easily dead that perception by bringing in a more vertical, spread scheme.

TCU averaged 38 rushing attempts 30 attempts per game

Miami averaged 34 running and 34 passing

FSU averaged 39 rushing 30 passing

Florida averaged 36 rushing 28 passing

UGA averaged 36 rushing 33 passing

Tennessee averaged 40 rushing 32 passing

Michigan averaged 42 rushing 26 passing

Ohio State averaged 35 rushing 31 passing attempts

Miami averaged more passing attempts than all these schools per game yet Mario wants to run it everytime bro!!
Well yeah because the other teams were typically up by 20 by halftime lol

We also had QBs that struggled to complete a forward pass after TVD went down.

Our numbers were way more skewed towards running last 5 games.

Had TVD stayed healthy our pass/run would have favored pass more.

Last 5 games we averaged 25 pass attempts per game.

With TVD first 7 games we averaged 40 pass attempts per game.
I do wonder how different the world would be if TVD never gets hurt.

Advertisement
I think it’s laughable when people say we didn’t air it out enough… Gattis just has terrible route concepts, an Oline that was in shambles, and the biggest issue was he flat out can’t call a game… zero idea how to string plays together. With a bonus he legit cannot make in game adjustments he flat out is out classed by any DC with a pulse

GT recruited better WRs than us while running the triple option

Advertisement
GT recruited better WRs than us while running the triple option
Lmao not even close. They only had 2 good ones in a decade. Thomas and Johnson.

Miami’s failure to develop the guys they signed has nothing to do with what they were rated coming out of high school.

I think it’s laughable when people say we didn’t air it out enough… Gattis just has terrible route concepts, an Oline that was in shambles, and the biggest issue was he flat out can’t call a game… zero idea how to string plays together. With a bonus he legit cannot make in game adjustments he flat out is out classed by any DC with a pulse

gattis genius.gif

That’s credit to Mario. Still the reason people are concerned and voicing it is that 2022 let us know just how far we have to go. 23 class was a monster class but we learned from 08 and 18 that a single big class won’t cut it, you need to keep stacking talent. If we don’t address our portal issues with impact talent, we will have another year like 2022. It’s not about getting bodies, it’s about getting impact players. I like what we have now but we need way more and we have missed on some guys.

Now we do have time, no doubt but using precedence, it’s not unreasonable for a fan to be worried. We have **** the bed time and time again the last two decades. Sure Mario’s strength is recruiting but thus far he has only shown he is so so at the portal. I think it’s a different beast than HS recruiting. I hope that when the smoke clears we will be okay, but people tried to convince us last year that we crushed it in the portal when the outside world said we just did aight. The results showed we did aight at best.
08 class was extremely top heavy. Def need to stack talent and develop a ol that can run/pass block

Advertisement
Back