Worst win in 17 years

And we had slightly higher expectations against Rutgers 2002. Can't think of anything worse, other than an outright loss, heading into a bye week.

- What gets me is that in all three FBS games, our coaches have looked worse than the other side. UF did a better job of hiding their limitations. UNC came out on fire and in rhythm. And CMU had their team in a position to win if not for a bunch of drops and fumbles. We're 129th in penalties per game. Putting the talent aside, there is no tangible area where you can see we look prepared.

- Enos has been a good QB coach and a terrible OC so far. I don't think it's fair to blame one unit because the entire offense looks lost. Mishandling jet sweeps. Zion still missing the snap count. Running backs missing holes. QB holding the ball too long. TEs missing blocks. Too many long-developing PA plays. Nothing downfield from talented WRs. 85th in yards per play. It all comes back to the OC and the staff he hired.

- The running game was the most promising aspect of the first three games, and it came crashing back down to earth against a bad defense. There is plenty of blame to go around, but Donaldson is one of my biggest disappointments of the season. He looks heavy and slow. His weight gain is perplexing, because he's always been a conscientious guy and he is already an upperclassmen. He is nowhere near the NFL right now and might not even be starter-quality at his current level.

- Lou Hedley is legit. Unfortunately, we ruined the play of the day with our disorganized special teams.

- Something is missing from the defense. I don't know if it's a Baker issue, a personnel issue, or a combination of both. We've improved our rush defense without Gerald Willis's boom-or-bust approach (37th to 6th in YPC, 46th to 4th in YPG) but we are a lot less disruptive and the overall defense is worse. One change I would make over the bye week is cementing Gurvan Hall as the everydown starter at safety. He is at a different level than our other guys.

- Based on my text messages, I would say Manny has already lost a good portion of the fanbase. Can't blame them. If he loses one of the three ACC home games, I think he would lose most of the fans. These are the three most important games of his entire coaching career. My concern is that he becomes a neurotic mess over the bye, like Al Golden in the bunker, and the players sense it. He needs to maintain his composure and live up to his reputation as a guy who makes adjustments.

- As a fan, my goal before the season was ten wins and the Coastal. That was a modest goal when you look at how the Coastal performs against garbage teams like Old Dominion and Appalachian St. It looks very far away at the moment. Manny's recruiting success will be dependent on his on-field success. He sold a quick turnaround and that's what we need to see over the next month. Otherwise, it will be impossible to sell anything as the New Miami.

**** well said.

If there is any hope for success at this point, it’s going to be in simplifying things down. We need to go basic and execute and let the players shine. You try to do too much, you fail to execute, and everything falls apart.

Manny hasn’t lost me in the sense that I’m off the wagon never to return, but I am not impressed right now. Pretty rough.

Advertisement
So early signs show Manny is a fraud and not even close to the guy we need.

Curious to know what adjustments you think he should make?

If Enos is a ****** OC and the offensive staff isn’t good either, what does Manny do, get rid of them already?

Baker is also Manny’s guy. So is Banda and Patke. Does he can them too?

This is starting to feel like Richt or Golden where they hired a bunch of friends

Never hire a friend to do an acquaintances job.

You need to take your shoes and socks off so that you can count.

Yes - Howard's teams got better by the year - yes, Jimmy's teams got better by the year - and yes, Butch's teams got better by the year.

All got better by year 4.

Manny is in his 4th GAME. Not 4th YEAR.

To ask me WTF I'm talking about - is a clear indicator of your situational awareness.

Did you watch any other games so far this year - maybe yesterday? A number of teams just seemed to have problems they shouldn't have had.

Let me give you another STUNNER. You may wish to sit down.

We don't have the same TEAM - we had last year! Shocker, huh?

1. You need to take your Aricept, because Manny has been coaching defense--in one capacity or another--at Miami for 4 years.

2. We don't have the same team as last year, but we have 6/11 (Shaq, Pinckney, Finley, Bethel, Garvin, Bandy) returning starters and no true freshmen on defense. That means all 11 have been in the system for at least one year under (this may be a STUNNER), Manny Diaz!!!!!!!!

3. Since when has the performance of other teams been relevant to the "Miami Hurricane standard"?

This defense is not what those young men and our fanbase have become accustomed to under Manny Diaz's leadership.

Last edited:
No. We should hold the defense, offense, coaching staff, players, and anybody associated with the Program accountable at all times. Every game, every performance regardless of the opponent. The entire team should be held accountable for last night. I watched in person like I have for all 4 games this season. It was pathetic. No excuses.

My shredded comment was in response to Twerp’s assessment that our D is “pure garbage.” That’s utter nonsense after just 4 games. Room for improvement? Of course. Garbage? GTFOH! That’s sensationalism aimed at riling up the fan base.

Compared to Manny's first 3 years this defense is not good. The 4th & 17, penalties, missed tackles, Garvin playing DB, and Rousseau playing DT... The kids aren't trash, but the product we're seeing is somewhere between "pathetic" and "pure garbage". We no longer dictate the terms of the game with our defense.

Advertisement
Compared to Manny's first 3 years this defense is not good. The 4th & 17, penalties, missed tackles, Garvin playing DB, and Rousseau playing DT... The kids aren't trash, but the product we're seeing is somewhere between "pathetic" and "pure garbage". We no longer dictate the terms of the game with our defense.

Just to make sure there’s zero confusion. A defense ranked 6th nationally against the rush and in the top 10 in tackles for a loss is considered by you to be somewhere between pathetic and pure garbage. Not even decent or above average...essentially atrocious. Right, boss?

Just to make sure there’s zero confusion. A defense ranked 6th nationally against the rush and in the top 10 in tackles for a loss is considered by you to be somewhere between pathetic and pure garbage. Not even decent or above average...essentially atrocious. Right, boss?

Let's not be seduced by the stats... We have to trust what we see.

I see an overly-complicated, more passive defense at the core, with below average tackling and poor discipline. We can't beat our chest for stopping the run on 1st and 2nd if we routinely give up 3rd & long or 4th & 17. But beyond the stats, tell me what you deem to be decent or above average about our play, and please share your thoughts on the progression of our defense from the last several seasons.

Last edited:
And we had slightly higher expectations against Rutgers 2002. Can't think of anything worse, other than an outright loss, heading into a bye week.

- What gets me is that in all three FBS games, our coaches have looked worse than the other side. UF did a better job of hiding their limitations. UNC came out on fire and in rhythm. And CMU had their team in a position to win if not for a bunch of drops and fumbles. We're 129th in penalties per game. Putting the talent aside, there is no tangible area where you can see we look prepared.

- Enos has been a good QB coach and a terrible OC so far. I don't think it's fair to blame one unit because the entire offense looks lost. Mishandling jet sweeps. Zion still missing the snap count. Running backs missing holes. QB holding the ball too long. TEs missing blocks. Too many long-developing PA plays. Nothing downfield from talented WRs. 85th in yards per play. It all comes back to the OC and the staff he hired.

- The running game was the most promising aspect of the first three games, and it came crashing back down to earth against a bad defense. There is plenty of blame to go around, but Donaldson is one of my biggest disappointments of the season. He looks heavy and slow. His weight gain is perplexing, because he's always been a conscientious guy and he is already an upperclassmen. He is nowhere near the NFL right now and might not even be starter-quality at his current level.

- Lou Hedley is legit. Unfortunately, we ruined the play of the day with our disorganized special teams.

- Something is missing from the defense. I don't know if it's a Baker issue, a personnel issue, or a combination of both. We've improved our rush defense without Gerald Willis's boom-or-bust approach (37th to 6th in YPC, 46th to 4th in YPG) but we are a lot less disruptive and the overall defense is worse. One change I would make over the bye week is cementing Gurvan Hall as the everydown starter at safety. He is at a different level than our other guys.

- Based on my text messages, I would say Manny has already lost a good portion of the fanbase. Can't blame them. If he loses one of the three ACC home games, I think he would lose most of the fans. These are the three most important games of his entire coaching career. My concern is that he becomes a neurotic mess over the bye, like Al Golden in the bunker, and the players sense it. He needs to maintain his composure and live up to his reputation as a guy who makes adjustments.

- As a fan, my goal before the season was ten wins and the Coastal. That was a modest goal when you look at how the Coastal performs against garbage teams like Old Dominion and Appalachian St. It looks very far away at the moment. Manny's recruiting success will be dependent on his on-field success. He sold a quick turnaround and that's what we need to see over the next month. Otherwise, it will be impossible to sell anything as the New Miami.
Love you bro. But as I have been saying for two decades, evaluations > selling. And experiene matters. Manny may be in over his head. I am not sure what other than hope would afford another conclusion.

Let's not be seduced by the stats... We have to trust what we see. I see an overly-complicated, more passive defense at the core, with below average tackling and poor discipline. We can't beat our chest for stopping the run on 1st and 2nd if we routinely give up 3rd & long or 4th & 17. But beyond the stats, tell me what you deem to be decent, or above average, about what you've SEEN over 4 games and please share your thoughts the progression of our defense from the last several seasons.

I see a defense that has potential. A defense that can look really good for long stretches and then collapse on key third downs. A defense that is strong against the run but lacks a pass rush despite having talented defensive ends. A defense holding its own despite poor safety play. I see a defensive coordinator that is sometimes too cute and should stick to what we do best - attacking. In other words, I see an imperfect defense that has room for improvement.

I don’t see garbage. I don’t see pathetic play. I don’t think we should sensationalize their performance because it fits a certain narrative.

The offense on the other hand....

Advertisement

What good offensive team have we played? Franks has the brain of a sheep, UNC was moving the ball with explosive plays, CMU blew wide open chance after wide open chance yesterday in the passing game. Our defense hasn't even been tested by a good offense, yet.

I see a defense that has potential. A defense that can look really good for long stretches and then collapse on key third downs. A defense that is strong against the run but lacks a pass rush despite having talented defensive ends. A defense holding its own despite poor safety play. I see a defensive coordinator that is sometimes too cute and should stick to what we do best - attacking. In other words, I see an imperfect defense that has room for improvement.

I don’t see garbage. I don’t see pathetic play. I don’t think we should sensationalize their performance because it fits a certain narrative.

The offense on the other hand....

But, "pathetic" is a word YOU used for our performance...

On offense I see flashes limited by a lack of talent on the OL and a young QB who doesn't play with great feel.

Manny is selling dreams that our inept Athletic Department ate right up. You think Manny will fire his 3 self groomed yes-man assistants who were brought up under his gimmicky defense? If he got rid of them he might actually hire some coaches that have half a fücking clue and would oppose blitzing safeties on 4 & 17 with the game on the line.

View attachment 97632
Some of that snake oil should solve the problem...

The D is less disruptive than last year but significantly improved against the run. That’s impressive given our losses at DT and in the secondary. Anybody blaming the D isn’t paying attention.

Last night’s chit show was a result of poor ST’s and a highly ineffective offense. Period.

Manny has a very good track record of making adjustments as a DC. Time and time again he made changes to counter what an OC was throwing at him. He needs to make those same adjustments now as the HC. His future depends on it.

Problem isn’t just last night, those gimmicks we do on Defense only work when you play a BC or CMU. They haven’t worked against the 2 real opponents we faced this year. Baker is going to exposed by any decent OC. Look what UNC did to him. If Miami was in any other conference we’d get embarrassed.

Advertisement

👀

1. You need to take your Aricept, because Manny has been coaching defense--in one capacity or another--at Miami for 4 years.

2. We don't have the same team as last year, but we have 6/11 (Shaq, Pinckney, Finley, Bethel, Garvin, Bandy) returning starters and no true freshmen on defense. That means all 11 have been in the system for at least one year under (this may be a STUNNER), Manny Diaz!!!!!!!!

3. Since when has the performance of other teams been relevant to the "Miami Hurricane standard"?

This defense is not what those young men and our fanbase have become accustomed under Manny Diaz's leadership.

Re: #1 - You need to take a five gallon ***** - because Manny has been a head coach - for four UM games.

Re: #2 - I carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII 1911. Tolerances are very tight - and yet if I take a slide off another 1911 - same number of springs, firing pin, extractor, etc - it's not going to shoot the same - if it shoots at all. It wouldn't be the same pistol. Our defense is NOT the same defense as last year.

Re: #3 - This is what educated people call an analogy - look it up. Every team has problems with teams they shouldn't - teams that are different - and it happens most every Saturday - so it's the mechanism I speak of - and it's the mechanism that is relevant to any other team on Saturdays.

Re: Final sentence. I don't know WTF you're talking about. Our fanbase saw D'Onofrio's defense for years - and I never got accustomed to those - and I hate to point out the obvious - but we (1) have a different set of players each year, (2) Manny is NOT the Defensive Coordinator, and (3) every single team we play - is also NOT the same teams we played last year - personnel, coaches, etc.

And you might want to pressurize that five gallon *****. You gotta lot of **** to blow out.

Problem isn’t just last night, those gimmicks we do on Defense only work when you play a BC or CMU. They haven’t worked against the 2 real opponents we faced this year. Baker is going to exposed by any decent OC. Look what UNC did to him. If Miami was in any other conference we’d get embarrassed.

I’m not arguing that our defense is amazing or world beaters. I’m not suggesting Baker is Buddy Ryan incarnate. We’ve got 99 problems on this team but some of you want to focus your energy on the defense. I’m suggesting that it’s the least of our concerns. The statistics alone prove it. Even if you subscribe to the belief that statistics can be misleading (they can), we are - under any reasonable, rationale assessment - above average on defense. To suggest we are pure garbage is an over dramatization of our performance YTD.

Offensive play calling, execution and special teams are FAR worse and deserving of substantial criticism.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m not arguing that our defense is amazing or world beaters. I’m not suggesting Baker is Buddy Ryan incarnate. We’ve got 99 problems on this team but some of you want to focus your energy on the defense. I’m suggesting that it’s the least of our concerns. The statistics alone prove it. Even if you subscribe to the belief that statistics can be misleading (they can), we are under any reasonable assessment above average on defense. To suggest we are pure garbage is an over dramatization of our performance YTD.

Offensive play calling, execution and special teams are FAR worse and deserving of substantial criticism.

That’s a fair statement. However, my point is the Defense better thank their lucky stars that the Offense and ST are complete dog **** because if that wasn’t the case they’d be getting killed.

Re: #1 - You need to take a five gallon ***** - because Manny has been a head coach - for four UM games.

Re: #2 - I carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII 1911. Tolerances are very tight - and yet if I take a slide off another 1911 - same number of springs, firing pin, extractor, etc - it's not going to shoot the same - if it shoots at all. It wouldn't be the same pistol. Our defense is NOT the same defense as last year.

Re: #3 - This is what educated people call an analogy - look it up. Every team has problems with teams they shouldn't - teams that are different - and it happens most every Saturday - so it's the mechanism I speak of - and it's the mechanism that is relevant to any other team on Saturdays.

Re: Final sentence. I don't know WTF you're talking about. Our fanbase saw D'Onofrio's defense for years - and I never got accustomed to those - and I hate to point out the obvious - but we (1) have a different set of players each year, (2) Manny is NOT the Defensive Coordinator, and (3) every single team we play - is also NOT the same teams we played last year - personnel, coaches, etc.

And you might want to pressurize that five gallon *****. You gotta lot of **** to blow out.

1. Still responsible for the defensive preparation and performance.

2. this is an analogy.

3. this is more of a parallel or equating.

4. You lost me completely on this drivel.

Now take that Aricept and you be careful with gun, ya hear!?

People pointing to stats and rankings to defend this defense are delusional. We've played exactly 1 quality opponent, 1 bad opponent, and 2 dregs of college football. My eyes tell me more than the stats. The defense is a poorly coached, unimpressive group. The DL, LB and DB corps are all mediocre at best.

**** well said.

If there is any hope for success at this point, it’s going to be in simplifying things down. We need to go basic and execute and let the players shine. You try to do too much, you fail to execute, and everything falls apart.

Manny hasn’t lost me in the sense that I’m off the wagon never to return, but I am not impressed right now. Pretty rough.

This is completely wrong. Simple lets mediocre teams scheme us, which is what CMU did. Our O isn't complex. It's risk averse - which I get, for the QB and oline. But we need to take risks, come what may.

Advertisement
Back