Worried about SEC blocking future portal usage

Getting or using transfer players means that your recruiting is incomplete or insufficient to cover your immediate needs.

Some schools simply recruit better

I seriously doubt that teams like Bama ,Clemson etc. will actively involve themselves in seeking transfers....and if so it will be a very rare occasion

Advertisement
As to our success with the portal this year, I think a huge part is the lack of talent at certain positions which attracted all the attention.

Well then he better do it quickly, if other teams actually start winning because of this then Nick Saban becomes less relevant. NCAA only cares about the winners not the whiners

This Portal is the perfect counterbalance for UM, USC and Stanford to use against "the Foundations". The SEC makes the illicit payments during recruiting-period, along with grandiose guarantees/promises that never come to fruition, and the kids leave after a year in the "sticks".

The SEC is going to use its powers to curtail this Portal at some point.

After the check clears, the Foundation cannot recoup its funds. Moreover, after 1-year in Tuscaloosa, these kids are going to start rethinking their prior recruiting trips to Miami.....

This Portal markedly levels the playing field for the metropolitan powers and the SEC will try to stop this at some point. [UM could conceivably end up with a top-8 class by late February........... Saban is not going to allow UM to reclaim its former glamour.]
not gonna happen to many people in media want transfers to be easier not harder. kids always gonna transfer and with the rules being lessened and with waivers now being easier then ever to get. and with a media push to allow transfers with 0 punishment or sitting out I don't see this ever happening no matter what saban wants just because from a pr standpoint would look really bad for ncaa. pr matters people and the wind is blowing to less stringent transfer rules not blocking them all together

Well then he better do it quickly, if other teams actually start winning because of this then Nick Saban becomes less relevant. NCAA only cares about the winners not the whiners
wont happen its a scenario will never happen. pr hit would be massive and ncaa hasn't exactly been on the winning side pr wise much they are loosening transfer rules nto making it harder getting rid of portal makes it harder to transfer and they wont go back there. the fact is the newer rules the portal in place because ncaa using them to stall talk of paying players and other reasons like pr and saban and sec would lose the pr war here no not happening

Advertisement
But it doesn't. Bagmen will ALWAYS have jobs as long as someone wants to entice/ pay a player to attend, stay or transfer to their school

NO ....its never been a one time bag delivery...palms and ego's must be greased continually....IF you want them to stay

Bagmen are like roaches ....even a nuclear attack will not put them out of existence.

They will be around as long as players can be bought and someone is willing to "buy" them to obtain an advantage

Either this thread or elsewhere, people have been saying Miami is a big benneficiary for transfers because the portal levels the bagman playing field. I am just trying to understand the argument.

Either this thread or elsewhere, people have been saying Miami is a big benneficiary for transfers because the portal levels the bagman playing field. I am just trying to understand the argument.

I hear ya. I just don't see how it does.

Bagmen were here before the portal and still have just as many opportunities to participate now. So what's changed? NOTHING

I guess we don't get it.....but that's probably because there's nothing to get

Bagmen were here before the portal and still have just as many opportunities to participate now. So what's changed? NOTHING

SEC teams cannot proffer bags to upperclassmen who have the potential to enter the NFL draft. It is too risky. The money is not as enticing as it is to a high school student, and the player is choosing a school based on playing-time and coaching (in equal measure). Alabama and Georgia have a multitude of 5-star talent, so a genuine "need" for the said player is not as apparent. (Too risky to play for a team that could opt for a 5-star when the player has 1-year of eligibility remaining.)

Athens is not a bad place, nor is Oxford, but it becomes quickly confining to metropolitan kids.

UM becomes much more enticing to a player who already spent a year in an SEC town. Especially if they already collected the "bag-money", are not playing much, and are seeing Hard Rock swaying to the madness weekly on TV.

SEC teams cannot proffer bags to upperclassmen who have the potential to enter the NFL draft. It is too risky. The money is not as enticing as it is to a high school student, and the player is choosing a school based on playing-time and coaching (in equal measure). Alabama and Georgia have a multitude of 5-star talent, so a genuine "need" for the said player is not as apparent. (Too risky to play for a team that could opt for a 5-star when the player has 1-year of eligibility remaining.)

Athens is not a bad place, nor is Oxford, but it becomes quickly confining to metropolitan kids.

UM becomes much more enticing to a player who already spent a year in an SEC town. Especially if they already collected the "bag-money", are not playing much, and are seeing Hard Rock swaying to the madness weekly on TV.

Bags are NOT just delivered only once when a recruit signs...remember Reggie Bush USC

Bags are given periodically throughout the player's attendance.

You really think a crook recruit at a crooked school only wants one dip? He also wants to be maintained. The size and frequency depends on how much they want that bought player to stay.

That is how Bagology is practiced at the highest (SEC) levels. Lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
This Portal is the perfect counterbalance for UM, USC and Stanford to use against "the Foundations". The SEC makes the illicit payments during recruiting-period, along with grandiose guarantees/promises that never come to fruition, and the kids leave after a year in the "sticks".

The SEC is going to use its powers to curtail this Portal at some point.

After the check clears, the Foundation cannot recoup its funds. Moreover, after 1-year in Tuscaloosa, these kids are going to start rethinking their prior recruiting trips to Miami.....

This Portal markedly levels the playing field for the metropolitan powers and the SEC will try to stop this at some point. [UM could conceivably end up with a top-8 class by late February........... Saban is not going to allow UM to reclaim its former glamour.]

If you dont think USC and Stanford dont have foundations you are sadly mistaken.

The top heavy SEC doesnt need the portal cause they hit on there targets. I dont think they will block players unless there projected first rounders but i doubt a guy rated that high would need the portal.

I said yesterday and I’ll say UGA again,what’s is going to stop is all the lying and bogus promises these coaches are making to these kids.

They lie to them or make them a promise now that turns into BS the kid will bolt through the portal and unless the ncaa wants a bunch of court battles these waivers will become easier and easier to get.

This is going to level out football again like the 85 man roster did when it stopped teams from having 125 people on the team

Advertisement

I agree with what you have said and would add the portal going public will only increase the number of bag men available to a transfee not decrease or make them inconsequential. I also think Bama, Clem will take advantage cause **** called life happens to any and all draft classes imo.

The SEC, Saban, and nobody else is changing this. Welcome to the new college football. Portal has officially changed the game and it’s here to stay.
Which Diaz notably jumped on because he is AWARE - let's face it Richt probably would have needed an assistant to figure out how to use it.

Advertisement
Rumor has it that Bama has set up a camp just outside the portal with an ATM machine.
LOL. I have this vision of the NCAA Portal being like the portal in the original Stargate movie. The SEC ATM at the entry/exit really ties it all together nicely though.

I think public sentiment is trending towards more transfers, not less. Hopefully, we are one of the program that benefits. We have some built-in advantages.

I wonder if they could go in the opposite direction...threaten to expose a player’s payments and thus destroy his eligibility. It would be tricky...the bagman would need to make the threat somehow without exposing himself to the NCAA or jeapordizing the school.

Advertisement
Back