Worried about SEC blocking future portal usage

Advertisement
Players transferring schools has been around for ions

Calling it a portal didn't change that.

So why are some acting as if this is a new phenomenon?

This Portal is the perfect counterbalance for UM, USC and Stanford to use against "the Foundations". The SEC makes the illicit payments during recruiting-period, along with grandiose guarantees/promises that never come to fruition, and the kids leave after a year in the "sticks".

The SEC is going to use its powers to curtail this Portal at some point.

After the check clears, the Foundation cannot recoup its funds. Moreover, after 1-year in Tuscaloosa, these kids are going to start rethinking their prior recruiting trips to Miami.....

This Portal markedly levels the playing field for the metropolitan powers and the SEC will try to stop this at some point. [UM could conceivably end up with a top-8 class by late February........... Saban is not going to allow UM to reclaim its former glamour.]

Won't save Saban from losing his coaches every year - because he's a mega-A-hole.

Besides - Saban's about to get out of the game - he's getting some worthy competition now - from outside the SEC.

Advertisement
Players transferring schools has been around for ions

Calling it a portal didn't change that.

So why are some acting as if this is a new phenomenon?

Because the previous, tedious, process of trying to transfer (paperwork, signatures, etc.) has been streamlined and made transparent. Years ago, you went from dealer to dealer looking for a car, maybe calling them ahead. Now, you can view inventory on line, see images of them and deal solely with the internet manager, not some guy with a white belt who puts a quarter on air cleaner housing while the engine is running...To show how "smooth" the engine runs!

The portal and early signing period are having the opposite effect than what Marky Mark and the NCAA Funky Bunch expected. Gotta' love the law of unintended consequences.

If we right the ship, they’ll be calling for rule changes in 2-3 years. Until then, we’re Purdue to them.

Because the previous, tedious, process of trying to transfer (paperwork, signatures, etc.) has been streamlined and made transparent. Years ago, you went from dealer to dealer looking for a car, maybe calling them ahead. Now, you can view inventory on line, see images of them and deal solely with the internet manager, not some guy with a white belt who puts a quarter on air cleaner housing while the engine is running...To show how "smooth" the engine runs!

The portal and early signing period are having the opposite effect than what Marky Mark and the NCAA Funky Bunch expected. Gotta' love the law of unintended consequences.

Thanks for responding

After further research it seems the major change is that it opens up more opportunities for players seeking to transfer instead of them having to select their transfer school on their own. i.e. I'm available who wants me?

As per ESPN:

As of Oct. 15, 2018, a change in the NCAA transfer rules allows student-athletes to enter their name into a "transfer portal," allowing other schools to initiate contact.

This allows players to publicly seek a new school without being blocked by their coaches or administrators. However, such a move doesn't come without risks. Players who have not graduated still have to sit out a year to become eligible after transferring, unless they are approved for a hardship waiver.

And schools are now allowed to cancel or reduce financial aid at the end of the semester once the notification of transfer is signed, and they are under no obligation to keep the player on the roster. They can effectively revoke the player's scholarship for officially shopping around.

Advertisement
ITs not "blocking" a school. one requirement for getting a waiver is that the old school does not oppose the waiver. In Kendall's case, OU apparently opposed it temporarily
Although other conferences have removed the ability for schools to block graduate players from transferring to another school in their conference, the Big 12 hasn't changed their rule. So, the university has the right to block. It's a crap thing to do, but within their right.

Isn't there bag money trying to keep these kids in the $EC? Don't the bagmen meet up with the players during the offseason? Or do they just forget the kids phone numbers after the LOI?

I'm sure that being a bagman for "X"Univ has and will always be an ALL weather, 24/7 full time, year round job.

Sorta like being a postman....those $Bags MUST be delivered!!...on time and in person
$$ handoff.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
The portal does make it easier for potential transfers to shop their services but the transfer market is nothing new. Kids still have to sit out a year unless they're graduate transfers.

I'm sure that being a bagman for "X"Univ has and will always be an ALL weather, 24/7 full time, year round job.

Sorta like being a postman....those $Bags MUST be delivered!!...on time and in person
View attachment 77467

So then why does the portal circumvent the bagmen process? Bags are still in play keeping players at said school. Do they stop because a kid is lower on the depth chart?

The "portal" is not new. It is newly public. In the past the players had this option and we never heard who intended to transfer until they actually did it. Now it is just a second level of recruiting to be followed by those interested in players and movement. What would change everything is is the NCAA is "forced" to give waivers to significantly more players. If all it takes to get a waiver is, "someone called me a bad name" or "my coach is anti-woman" look out. We will have total fluidity in the player market. In addition, we will have "transfer bags" in addition to the traditional HS bags. I have always thought that if the NCAA wants to hold it's product out as "amature college athletics" so that it can keep the money train running, it should be required to stay out of a student's decision where to attend school. America's best computer students can transfer at will. The same is true for premed students and teaching students. Why should one group be treated any differently. They are athletic slaves....................BUT this has been a fun off season for us!!!!!!

Advertisement
So then why does the portal circumvent the bagmen process? Bags are still in play keeping players at said school. Do they stop because a kid is lower on the depth chart?

But it doesn't. Bagmen will ALWAYS have jobs as long as someone wants to entice/ pay a player to attend, stay or transfer to their school

NO ....its never been a one time bag delivery...palms and ego's must be greased continually....IF you want them to stay

Bagmen are like roaches ....even a nuclear attack will not put them out of existence.

They will be around as long as players can be bought and someone is willing to "buy" them to obtain an advantage

Absolutely. If I am Manny and we lose a football player to "bags", I call him a week later and say, "if you hate Tuscaloosa come back to the 305 in a year." The kids can go to Alabama, receive great training and return - IF he is good. If the kid is a diva then tell him "we are at our scholarship limits".

Manny is brilliant with numbers and am sure he already thought of this...

Use Alabama as a "training ground". Keep talking to the recruit for a bit after they sign and "plant the seed".
It's called playing the game.....
Manny is now refining his moves......it's about time.....and with Enos there it helps, not hurts.

Their overall influence and power is on the wane. There's not much they can do. I do think something will be done to regulate the portal a bit more anyway tho, as it's a free for all right now.

You might see the NCAA give players a tighter window in which they can enter, or maybe cap the number of times they can go into it. Something along those lines. No way they keep it as it is. There's going to be CRAZY tampering going on if it stays as it is. Even more than the amount that happens right now. Basically, a school will never stop recruiting a player, even if he's not on their roster.
Good points.............NCAA will possibly cap the transfers for 1 season to 5-8 or a percentage of the roster max. 85 players 8 transfers allowed etc.
It is just a matter of time before they come in to put their footprint and control in there. It will not be freewheeling as it is now.

I think we will be a destination for portal transfers due to our location. Kids that went elsewhere or maybe weren’t recruited by us will consider us if they can fill a need. Why not come down to paradise for 9-12 months and finish one more year in sunny south Florida? P
Agreed, or in the case of Tate multiple years in SoFla..

Advertisement
Back