Worried about SEC blocking future portal usage

canesproponent

Sophomore
This Portal is the perfect counterbalance for UM, USC and Stanford to use against "the Foundations". The SEC makes the illicit payments during recruiting-period, along with grandiose guarantees/promises that never come to fruition, and the kids leave after a year in the "sticks".

The SEC is going to use its powers to curtail this Portal at some point.

After the check clears, the Foundation cannot recoup its funds. Moreover, after 1-year in Tuscaloosa, these kids are going to start rethinking their prior recruiting trips to Miami.....

This Portal markedly levels the playing field for the metropolitan powers and the SEC will try to stop this at some point. [UM could conceivably end up with a top-8 class by late February........... Saban is not going to allow UM to reclaim its former glamour.]

Advertisement
I had this similar thought yesterday I could see Saban's b**** *** piping up about "how unfair" it is soon.

Absolutely. If I am Manny and we lose a football player to "bags", I call him a week later and say, "if you hate Tuscaloosa come back to the 305 in a year." The kids can go to Alabama, receive great training and return - IF he is good. If the kid is a diva then tell him "we are at our scholarship limits".

Manny is brilliant with numbers and am sure he already thought of this...

Use Alabama as a "training ground". Keep talking to the recruit for a bit after they sign and "plant the seed".

Advertisement
Their overall influence and power is on the wane. There's not much they can do. I do think something will be done to regulate the portal a bit more anyway tho, as it's a free for all right now.

You might see the NCAA give players a tighter window in which they can enter, or maybe cap the number of times they can go into it. Something along those lines. No way they keep it as it is. There's going to be CRAZY tampering going on if it stays as it is. Even more than the amount that happens right now. Basically, a school will never stop recruiting a player, even if he's not on their roster.

That is the one thing about the SEC's illicit payment scheme. It is highly rigid due to the pathological fear they posses towards the Feds (especially after basketball).

They have to continue to pay during recruiting or completely revamp the Foundations. Additionally, paying disgruntled players from other teams is high risk...

They will probably now have to start paying disgruntled, current players (which is also high risk).

The SEC, Saban, and nobody else is changing this. Welcome to the new college football. Portal has officially changed the game and it’s here to stay.

Advertisement
That is the one thing about the SEC's illicit payment scheme. It is highly rigid due to the pathological fear they posses towards the Feds (especially after basketball).

They have to continue to pay during recruiting or completely revamp the Foundations. Additionally, paying disgruntled players from other teams is high risk...

They will probably now have to start paying disgruntled, current players (which is also high risk).
The bag man isn’t writing checks and opening credit cards for dudes. These guys aren’t leaving a paper trail. And when they do trip up, nothing happens anyway.

I don’t think enough good players are going to enter the portal for saban to feel the need to do anything. He’ll lose some guys, mostly dudes who don’t see the field. Big deal.

If Miami starts winning and making the playoffs, it will markedly negate the "bags".

Tuscaloosa is a dilapidated area and unfixable. UM at its peak, sending players in droves to the NFL, and making the playoffs consistently is too hard for Alabama to counterbalance.

In less than 30-days, UM's class went from #40 to at least top 20...

I don’t see why the SEC and others would simply not employ a Phase II (ie Transfer Portal) Enhanced Recruiting Team. Use bagmen to lure players away. Offer high tier bonuses to get players like Hurts to stay. All that seems required is the willingness to grow your budget on player spend.

The bag man isn’t writing checks and opening credit cards for dudes. These guys aren’t leaving a paper trail. And when they do trip up, nothing happens anyway.

100% agree. They have a network of "bag-men" with 6-degrees of separation to the Foundation.

Once the bag arrives, though, there is little the SEC school can do if the player enters the Portal the following year.

Advertisement
Mannn fück the SEC. Their bag games isn’t fair, but it’s great seeing them pay all that money for basically nothing in a year or two when these players transfer. It was a thing of beauty watching Alabama get totally embarrassed on national TV. They have the best team that their endless money could buy and STILL got face-fücked.

Might be the dumbest commentary yet. The sec isn’t that powerful and since dropping bags isn’t legal and openly discussed they won’t say a word about it. Plus, if a kid leaves before graduating he has to sit out so you won’t see a ton of that happening, even with the portal.

Wait, what was the big deal with the blocking of that Oklahoma QB? I thought schools couldn't block anymore.

Advertisement
I don’t see why the SEC and others would simply not employ a Phase II (ie Transfer Portal) Enhanced Recruiting Team. Use bagmen to lure players away. Offer high tier bonuses to get players like Hurts to stay. All that seems required is the willingness to grow your budget on player spend.

I think that is what they will do. Pay the current players.

Paying a transfer from UCLA is too risky. Also, upperclassmen transfers that can make it to the NFL are not going to be as susceptible to a $200,000 payment.

This Portal is the perfect counterbalance for UM, USC and Stanford to use against "the Foundations". The SEC makes the illicit payments during recruiting-period, along with grandiose guarantees/promises that never come to fruition, and the kids leave after a year in the "sticks".

The SEC is going to use its powers to curtail this Portal at some point.

After the check clears, the Foundation cannot recoup its funds. Moreover, after 1-year in Tuscaloosa, these kids are going to start rethinking their prior recruiting trips to Miami.....

This Portal markedly levels the playing field for the metropolitan powers and the SEC will try to stop this at some point. [UM could conceivably end up with a top-8 class by late February........... Saban is not going to allow UM to reclaim its former glamour.]
I think you may be on to something. I give this transfer portal one more year before Satan’s boy at the NCAA nixes the deal.

I would agree to some extent that the the SEC is going to cry foul on this, but this portal is for all NCAA sports, not just football. They can sit on it and spin.

Advertisement
Back