Worried about SEC blocking future portal usage

Advertisement
The NCAA removed 8 baseball scholarships, which essentially provided public schools with 4-5 additional scholarships over the private schools due to the tuition differential. NCAA always sides with the colossal state schools.... Emmert is an SEC zealot...

The portal isn’t actually something new right? It is just a tool to streamline communications between players and other schools; I don’t see how it can be rolled back.

I do agree that some cases of blatant tampering will surface, but that's the game. If the SEC wants they will give bags to re-recruit their own kids or recruit portal kids from other schools.

Miami right now is a heavy buyer on the portal, because of weak recruiting class and poor roster balancing, but the day may come we are sellers too. This crazy spin that Saban won’t let Miami be great is kind of a trip on OP part.

Advertisement
I'll put it like this the Portal is the new CBA basically so it's to **** over the bag teams especially when they lie and let's not front many kids see that when they enroll at a school and want ro leave but feel stuck. The SEC coaches MAYBE will try and burn redshirts but like Asa be careful because a kid will.find a loophole out

Absolutely. If I am Manny and we lose a football player to "bags", I call him a week later and say, "if you hate Tuscaloosa come back to the 305 in a year." The kids can go to Alabama, receive great training and return - IF he is good. If the kid is a diva then tell him "we are at our scholarship limits".

Manny is brilliant with numbers and am sure he already thought of this...

Use Alabama as a "training ground". Keep talking to the recruit for a bit after they sign and "plant the seed".

Going to be hard to play when half your team is sitting out because they just transferred.

I think we will be a destination for portal transfers due to our location. Kids that went elsewhere or maybe weren’t recruited by us will consider us if they can fill a need. Why not come down to paradise for 9-12 months and finish one more year in sunny south Florida? P

Advertisement
SEC wont be able to do sh*t. The portal is about empowering the "helpless" kids, which is the wave of the future. I dont see the NCAA paying student athletes, so this is their compromise. If you are unhappy with your situation, you are free to get re-recruited without any restrictions.

Advertisement
Isn't there bag money trying to keep these kids in the $EC? Don't the bagmen meet up with the players during the offseason? Or do they just forget the kids phone numbers after the LOI?

I can definately see Saban whining about the Portal in the future because...well that's what he does, he whines. Miserable SOB.

Advertisement
Their overall influence and power is on the wane. There's not much they can do. I do think something will be done to regulate the portal a bit more anyway tho, as it's a free for all right now.

You might see the NCAA give players a tighter window in which they can enter, or maybe cap the number of times they can go into it. Something along those lines. No way they keep it as it is. There's going to be CRAZY tampering going on if it stays as it is. Even more than the amount that happens right now. Basically, a school will never stop recruiting a player, even if he's not on their roster.

This is my main argument against allowing free transfers without having to sit a year. The major powers with the most money would just allocate crazy resources to dominate the transfer market too.

I do think a relaxed waiver approach makes sense, though. There should be accessible ability to transfer so long as showing of valid reason that satisfy laid out criteria (less stringent than the current hardship standard). However, it is imperative that contact not be allowed by other schools until the player enters the portal. Limit on amount of times being able to enter the portal should also be enforced (absent exigent circumstances).

This is my main argument against allowing free transfers without having to sit a year. The major powers with the most money would just allocate crazy resources to dominate the transfer market too.

I do think a relaxed waiver approach makes sense, though. There should be accessible ability to transfer so long as showing of valid reason that satisfy laid out criteria (less stringent than the current hardship standard). However, it is imperative that contact not be allowed by other schools until the player enters the portal. Limit on amount of times being able to enter the portal should also be enforced (absent exigent circumstances).
Yep. NCAA has to be willing to allocate sanctions and loss of Bowl Games for tampering. It already happens, but with the portal, it will be an issue.

This Portal is the perfect counterbalance for UM, USC and Stanford to use against "the Foundations". The SEC makes the illicit payments during recruiting-period, along with grandiose guarantees/promises that never come to fruition, and the kids leave after a year in the "sticks".

The SEC is going to use its powers to curtail this Portal at some point.

After the check clears, the Foundation cannot recoup its funds. Moreover, after 1-year in Tuscaloosa, these kids are going to start rethinking their prior recruiting trips to Miami.....

This Portal markedly levels the playing field for the metropolitan powers and the SEC will try to stop this at some point. [UM could conceivably end up with a top-8 class by late February........... Saban is not going to allow UM to reclaim its former glamour.]
Said in another thread, THE PORTAL IS PARITY. The great equalizer for the masses. Like a mighty sword to be wielded against the Kings of college football. But, yeah they will try to find a way to **** this up, and keep us down

Wait, what was the big deal with the blocking of that Oklahoma QB? I thought schools couldn't block anymore.

ITs not "blocking" a school. one requirement for getting a waiver is that the old school does not oppose the waiver. In Kendall's case, OU apparently opposed it temporarily

Advertisement
Back