Wishing & Moping

1. Any fan rooting for a coach to fail is a weirdo

2. I did not like the Diaz hire for several reasons. B/c of the epic, historic losses during his tenure, I’ve been hyper critical of Diaz, but I’m not rooting for him to fail

3. The flawed notion that firing a coach sets ur program back is false. There’s way, too, many examples across the sports world proving opposite. If anything, keeping a coach setting a bad culture for too long is more detrimental than firing him when all signs point that he’s not the guy

4. The difference between Miami 2019 & Miami 2020 was King. King saved us against NCSt & VT. No King & we’re 6-5.

5. Diaz has shown an ability to change staff. I’m not going to say adjust, I’m going to say change staff. This has proved immediate dividends from the DB recruiting, thus far.

6. W/ point #5 being said, if the O staff has been overhauled, the D staff has been overhauled & 91% of the production is returning, well there is no reason why 10+ wins should not be obtained.

7. I’ve stop falling for off season hype for a min. Just go out & prove it. Be competitive against Bama, at the very least. DO NOT get embarrassed, and if a L does occur, shake it off. Go control ur own destiny. And for goodness sake, pls beat the brakes off of UNC!

Last edited:
Advertisement

2. I did not like the Diaz hire for several reasons. B/c of the epic, historic losses during his tenure, I’ve been hyper critical of Diaz, but I’m not rooting for him to fail

3. The flawed notion that firing a coach sets ur program back is false. There’s way, too, many examples across the sports world proving opposite. If anything, keeping a coach setting a bad culture for too long is more detrimental than firing him when all signs point that he’s not the guy

4. The difference between Miami 2019 & Miami 2020 was King. King saved us against NCSt & VT. No King & we’re 6-5.

5. Diaz has shown an ability to change staff. I’m not going to say adjust, I’m going to say change staff. This has proved immediate dividends from the DB recruiting, thus far.

6. W/ point being said, if the O staff has been overhauled, the D staff has been overhauled & 91% of the production is returning, well there is no reason why 10+ wins should not be obtained.

7. I’ve stop falling for off season hype for a min. Just go out & prove it. Be competitive against Bama, at the very least. DO NOT get embarrassed, and if a L does occur, shake it off. Go control ur own destiny. And for goodness sake, pls beat the brakes off of UNC!
This is what it looks like when a real fan posts their alternative opinion. 👏

CIS Hall of Fame worthy thread sir.

Well done and 100% spot on.

So many tough on the outside, so scared on the inside dudes on here. All of them praying for failure so their feelings dont get hurt again.
CA5C96FA-80E7-4850-80EA-3CFEDFA84136.gif

And Frost inherited O'Leary's team.

I don't know how ****ed UCF's fans were, I'll have to defer to your knowledge on that subject.

Yes, they have been trending down, but calling an 8-5 season a collapse is hyperbole. In fact it's celebrated around here. So the fact that Manny had a similar record is ok with you. Baby steps I guess.

We'll see how Heuple does at UT.
Frost inherited O’Leary’s team that literally went 0-12. Not sure what point you’re trying to make there. Heupel inherited a 12-0 team and left Malzahn a 6-4 team. UCF feels they got a huge upgrade going from Heupel to Malzahn

Manny went 8-3. Not 8-5. Heupel went 6-4 not 8-5. Yes there were winnable games that got taken off UCF’s schedule. There were also winnable games that got taken off Miami’s schedule. Miami would have easily won 10 games if they had played the original schedule that didn’t include Clemson.

Advertisement
For UCF, an 8-5 season is good.

But at UM 8- 5 should be considered a collapse. So Manny should be held to a higher standard.

Don't get it twisted.
When you win 13, 12 and 10 games for three straight seasons, going 6-4 isn’t considered good.

Once again Miami didn’t go 8-5.

Ok, it would be one thing if we finished last year on a high note, but we've had 20 years of hot garbage, followed by finishing last year giving up 62 to UNC and then another bowl game loss, in a long line of bowl game losses. And every year about this time this board, and the previous ones to its existence, become a fanboy echochamber that goes from unrealistic to downright comical before the first game. Fat players are now leaner, skinny players have put on size, slow players have put on speed, players now get it that were lost before, everyone has a new attitude, and everyone's a green tree all American, Manny finally learned how to prepare for a game and you all expect great things 'this year' from ____fill in any and all players names here.

I guess it's eternal optimism that lets this repeat every single year. Again, if we finished on a high note, it would be easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone has a different level to how much they've been beaten down at this point. What I don't get is that if anyone calls out this cyclical circle jerk for what it is, then they somehow aren't a fan. The real question is why do you care how big a fan other fans are? How does that matter to anything? Do you think an entire board of varying opinions are all going to track exactly the same? And yes, I think 1-5 is irrational, but no more so that 15-0. Why does one get praise and the other ridicule? It's all just prediction, and if past performance means anything, it's a crap shoot.
Fair comments.
I can see how you want to see results before you buy in.

I'm guessing here, but I seems you've made your decision on Manny.
Where we disagree is I don't believe a coach can be judged by his first 2 seasons.
Most of us here are waiting on year three.

I may be right with you in December.
God, I hope not.

6. W/ point #5 being said, if the O staff has been overhauled, the D staff has been overhauled & 91% of the production is returning, well there is no reason why 10+ wins should not be obtained.

Overall your points are very good.

I heartily disagree with point 3.

Firing a coach absolutely sets you back. Thats why coaches typically get 3 years to prove worth. The first year is expected to suck.
Consistency, reliability, helps in recruiting and playing. The same system from last year is ALWAYS an advantage over a new system.

Either way. What I see from Diaz is different from our previous failed coaches.

He has continued to make the team better. If you keep making the team better...

Frost inherited O’Leary’s team that literally went 0-12. Not sure what point you’re trying to make there. Heupel inherited a 12-0 team and left Malzahn a 6-4 team. UCF feels they got a huge upgrade going from Heupel to Malzahn

Manny went 8-3. Not 8-5. Heupel went 6-4 not 8-5. Yes there were winnable games that got taken off UCF’s schedule. There were also winnable games that got taken off Miami’s schedule. Miami would have easily won 10 games if they had played the original schedule that didn’t include Clemson.
I had to look it up, but UCF went 9-4 the prior year, so clearly going 0 - 12 is an aberration and doesn't reflect on the players and didn't O'leary quit mid season? So the 0-12 record isn't an accurate reflection of the players O'Leary recruited. The point I was making was Frost won with O'learys guys. Frost was only there 2 years, hardly enough time to get "his" guys. And how is Frost working out at Nebraska? And he has been there 4 or 5 years, with "his" guys now, right?

UCF lost one more game last season 6-4 than the prior 10-3, hardly a collapse in a less than normal season. The comparison to Manny was a one game loss differential for Heupel, so calling Miami's 3 loss season a collapse would be wrong, just like calling UCF"s 4 loss season a collapse would be wrong.

And this is all bs, because I could care less about UCF. And I have no idea how UCF feels like you do, all I know is one coach went to the SEC and one left the SEC.

Advertisement

Firing a coach absolutely sets you back. Thats why coaches typically get 3 years to prove worth. The first year is expected to suck.
Consistency, reliability, helps in recruiting and playing. The same system from last year is ALWAYS an advantage over a new system.

Agreed. The number of programs who have had immediate success after replacing a failed coach is minuscule. It’s impossible to believe that a team is talented enough to be great but one coach is keeping them terrible. People put waaaay too much onus on game day coaching when the bigger part of a turnaround is improving the roster.

That said, if a team isn’t showing any improvement in year two, there’s a good shot it’s not going to work. First year is a mulligan. Second year, show improvement. Third year, it’s your team and you better have the ship pointed in the right direction on all fronts.

Ahhh, u don’t know my posting history, which is y I skipped over my constant narrative; ‘every coach deserves at least 3 yrs, and in some cases four if steady improvement is being shown.’
5 is too long if things r remaining either status quo or digressing. So I guess u assumed that I meant that a coaching change after one yr, is warranted? If so, my apologies for leaving that vague. That’s an asinine theory. Lol. Unless a coach has done something heinous & egregious, no coach deserves to be fired after one season, no matter how bad.

I meant that making a coaching change, when warranted, does not set a program back. From the sports world, I can tell you there are many, many teams that greatly benefited, immediately from coaching changes.

But I do agree, Diaz have not rested on his laurels & looks to continue to try to improve the team either via the portal or coaching changes.

Ahhh, u don’t know my posting history, which is y I skipped over my constant narrative; ‘every coach deserves at least 3 yrs, and in some cases four if steady improvement is being shown.’
5 is too long if things r remaining either status quo or digressing. So I guess u assumed that I meant that a coaching change after one yr, is warranted? If so, my apologies for leaving that vague. That’s an asinine theory. Lol. Unless a coach has done something heinous & egregious, no coach deserves to be fired after one season, no matter how bad.

I meant that making a coaching change, when warranted, does not set a program back. From the sports world, I can tell you there are many, many teams that greatly benefited, immediately from coaching changes.

But I do agree, Diaz have not rested on his laurels & looks to continue to try to improve the team either via the portal or coaching changes.
But being a head coach is more than being a recruiting coordinator. Do you truly believe he can have a team ready to play come the opening whistle on a game day, every week? He’s a rah rah guy, but many weeks we showed up like zombies and got shell shocked at the open.

Personal attacks

LOL!

What a dumb thing to say.

Hueple left them, of course they're going to say that. Next, you're going to tell me UCF was just about fire Hueple to get Malzahn, but somehow Hueple dumped them first.

Since you're so in touch with UCF, are those that are saying Malzahn was a huge upgrade, the same ones who came up with the mythical national championship?

:ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

Heupel inherited an undefeated team and got progressively worse every year he was in Orlando. Nobody at UCF was mad about him going to Tennessee. Nowhere near as ****ed as they were when Frost left for Nebraska.

Manny’s first season had 5 losses by a touchdown or less. Does that matter? **** no, 6-7 was a failure. So going from 6-7 to 8-3 would be an improvement. Literally the opposite of a collapse.
Again,

Wow, you are quite the UCF fanboi, aren't you? You certainly have your finger of the pulse of the program.

I don't understand this point, why would you use this line of thinking to make your argument. Nobody gives a fvck how UCF feels, but you apparently. These ****ed people..., are they the same people who came up with the mythical NC? But you like to cite them as some source of authority or validation of your agrument.

[Deleted by Maudes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
But being a head coach is more than being a recruiting coordinator. Do you truly believe he can have a team ready to play come the opening whistle on a game day, every week? He’s a rah rah guy, but many weeks we showed up like zombies and got shell shocked at the open.

That’s why I hope he’s developed into the latter. Completely agree w/ u.

I will say that’s one thing Manny has been able to accomplish. Not only has he gotten the administration to open their wallets a bit (it started with Richt) but he’s managed to get some high profile assistants to come work for him. Guys like Lashlee, Likens and TRob could have gone wherever they wanted and they picked Miami. You’re right that if you want to win at the P5 level, you can’t be cheap. Maybe Miami isn’t spending at the big school levels but at least they’re being competitive
It's not about opening the wallet, it's about revenue coming in. The program can't and won't be allowed to spend money that isnt there. I know our "fans" are dumbasses that don't understand how anything works, but it's not an accident that as TV and apparel revenue has increased, the school is willing to spend a bit more on staff. Donations have also increased, thanks to the efforts by athletic department staff to reach out to donors and develop new relationships.

Even then, it's not a blank check. If Diaz or any coach wants something, someone has to pay for it. Someone has to show that the revenue is there to pay for it.

Advertisement

First half points allowed last season:

UAB-6
Louisville-6
FSU-3
Clemson-21
Pitt-6
NC State-24
V Tech-14
Duke-0
UNC-34

Define many.

Gave up 14 points or less to 70% of our schedule last year. Single digits in 50%. 20 or more in 30%.

The reality is we had two bad defensive first halves.

But you keep crying.

I
First half points allowed last season:

UAB-6
Louisville-6
FSU-3
Clemson-21
Pitt-6
NC State-24
V Tech-14
Duke-0
UNC-34

Define many.

Gave up 14 points or less to 70% of our schedule last year. Single digits in 50%. 20 or more in 30%.

The reality is we had two bad defensive first halves.

But you keep crying.
Ok, lets break down your slanted news coverage of first quarters, starting last game.

Oklahoma State scored 21, Miami 0
UNC 21, Miami 3
Duke 0, Miami 14 (bravo)
VT 7, Miami 3
NC State 14, Miami 14
Virginia 7, Miami 7
Pitt 0, Miami 7 (bravo)
Clemson 7, Miami 0
Miami 14, FSU 3 (bravo)
Miami 14, Lou 3 (bravo)
Miami 7, UAB 7

So out of 11 games, Miami led at the end of the first quarter in only 4 of them. We were tied with UAB, Virginia and NC State at the end of the first, which is equally a fail. We then let both UNC and OK State score 21 in the first quarter on us in 2 of our last 3 games, while we managed 1 field goal between the two! I don't know what games you watched or what kind of spin you are rewriting history with, but we did not look good out of the gate in games last year, except FSU, Loiu and Duke. It was like we were sleep walking. You can spin it any way you like, but facts are facts. I couldn't find stats by quarter, but I would bet it wouldn't look pretty.

Last edited:
Every time I see someone say Manny never should have been hired, I ask the same question.

Then who?

Half the dudes on here spend their days chasing a coaching unicorn.
Will wait and see with Manny because there are some positive signs, but Miami could have performed an actual search and considered someone who's achieved something. Someone who does more with less, like Campbell at Iowa State or Tom Allen or even Mark Stoops. For whatever reason Miami set its sights on Diaz and paid handsomely for him while not considering anyone else for the job. Doesn't that seem strange to you?

Will wait and see with Manny because there are some positive signs, but Miami could have performed an actual search and considered someone who's achieved something. Someone who does more with less, like Campbell at Iowa State or Tom Allen or even Mark Stoops. For whatever reason Miami set its sights on Diaz and paid handsomely for him while not considering anyone else for the job. Doesn't that seem strange to you?
B19F9117-4F5A-42C4-AABF-CF8EAEFAD594.jpeg
87C7FA5F-64CC-46CD-9F38-21275220F7A7.jpeg

Advertisement
Back