Wishing & Moping

N.M.B. Cane

The U part 3
Premium
Some prick created a thread suggesting we may start the season 1-5. Claims to be a fan....
I know as fans we are inclined to experience the ill effects of confirmation bias now and again and Tbh I can see the value in those on this sight that stay coherent and can see outside of the super-fan box to offer verifiable impartial thoughts and forecasts. I absolutely commend all of you for your intensive knowledge and what you bring to the table and totally appreciate that. Sincere thanks to all of you.
On the other hand, the "fans" who never recognize any improvements or positive momentum and are "intellectually and emotionally sufficient to except reality"— that we are forever ill-fated to permanent mediocrity due to being helpless before the incompetent , penny pinching BoT.... are contributing a dull cynicism which creates a toxic energy and makes us look like a soft, fair-weather fan base. It's gotten to the point that I can feel the joy spilling out of these sulks each time we turn the ball over, get a penalty and so forth because it enforces their beliefs. Some of our cis "fans" are more prepared to ******** during our misfortunes than the fan base of whatever given team that we're playing. It's disturbing. While it's in every case great to analyze mishaps in order to address them moving forward , (that being a football program or as a person )there is additionally an almost negligible difference between being level headed and being a hopeless, prideful curmudgeon who would prefer to be correct then to see our Canes back on top.

Advertisement
Sometimes people just want attention.

look what i can do mad tv GIF

Advertisement
Some people think Miami can fail it's way to a once in a lifetime coach and a return to decades long dominance. People root for coaches to fail because they think the next one will be better. But if you've been paying attention to sports that does not happen 99.999% of the time. In cases where the team has clearly lost faith and any hope I am 100% on board with advocating a coaching change. But when the future is still unknown your best chance is to hope that the coach you found becomes great than to hope for a great coach to find you. Manny has not lost the team, in fact, the team improved last year and I think most agree could be better this year.

Given the negativity, I'll tell you what I'm hopeful for. I'm hopeful that a coach like Manny, who understands the culture of Miami better than anyone not named Jimmy Johnson, can create something incredibly special if he can just get the engine going. I think Manny Diaz, in Miami, with momentum, is a dangerous college football coach. I'm hopeful that if Miami can win 10 or 11 games this year and be competitive against good teams we are on our way to continuing the upward trend we need to be back. I'm hopeful that we may be 1 or 2 seasons away from going, "holy s***, we're really good again".

Maybe we won't be. Maybe Manny doesn't end up being the guy. But at this point nobody knows for sure and to quote Life of Pi, "So tell me, since it makes no factual difference to you and you can’t prove the question either way, which story do you prefer? Which is the better story, the story with animals or the story without animals?" I prefer to believe the story where Manny succeeds.

Some people think Miami can fail it's way to a once in a lifetime coach and a return to decades long dominance. People root for coaches to fail because they think the next one will be better. But if you've been paying attention to sports that does not happen 99.999% of the time. In cases where the team has clearly lost faith and any hope I am 100% on board with advocating a coaching change. But when the future is still unknown your best chance is to hope that the coach you found becomes great than to hope for a great coach to find you. Manny has not lost the team, in fact, the team improved last year and I think most agree could be better this year.

Given the negativity, I'll tell you what I'm hopeful for. I'm hopeful that a coach like Manny, who understands the culture of Miami better than anyone not named Jimmy Johnson, can create something incredibly special if he can just get the engine going. I think Manny Diaz, in Miami, with momentum, is a dangerous college football coach. I'm hopeful that if Miami can win 10 or 11 games this year and be competitive against good teams we are on our way to continuing the upward trend we need to be back. I'm hopeful that we may be 1 or 2 seasons away from going, "holy s***, we're really good again".

Maybe we won't be. Maybe Manny doesn't end up being the guy. But at this point nobody knows for sure and to quote Life of Pi, "So tell me, since it makes no factual difference to you and you can’t prove the question either way, which story do you prefer? Which is the better story, the story with animals or the story without animals?" I prefer to believe the story where Manny succeeds.

Every time I see someone say Manny never should have been hired, I ask the same question.

Then who?

Half the dudes on here spend their days chasing a coaching unicorn.

Advertisement
I remember when CMR was still here and we were in the midst of that drama with the OC, QB coach and we'd look over to the defense - which was DOMINATING - and CMD would give his interviews regarding what he thought was going on and everyone lapped it up. There were so many posters in here that thought CMD was so great, gave you great interviews, had fire and tenacity etc. and were completely bought into the the idea he should be the HC in waiting, **** even suggested they should offer the position to him so he wouldn't leave.

He then leaves for Temple, all **** ensues in here because we let him get away and as quickly as we hired him back...all **** ensues that we hired the wrong guy, didn't do a search, yada yada yada. It's always the next guy in here: next HC, next QB, next OC where the f*ck are these people? I just don't get ***

1-5 . lol . By all accounts we are a better team overall compared to last years team minus one position and thats DE. 10-2 or 9-3 should be worst case scenario. We know the mama and UNC games will be tough games. Every other game on our schedule we should be putting the smack down on them. Of course we will have one of those games thats a nail biter even though it should not be.

1-5 . lol . By all accounts we are a better team overall compared to last years team minus one position and thats DE. 10-2 or 9-3 should be worst case scenario. We know the mama and UNC games will be tough games. Every other game on our schedule we should be putting the smack down on them. Of course we will have one of those games thats a nail biter even though it should not be.

Everyone has those kind of nail biters. Literally everyone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some prick created a thread suggesting we may start the season 1-5. Claims to be a fan....
I know as fans we are inclined to experience the ill effects of confirmation bias now and again and Tbh I can see the value in those on this sight that stay coherent and can see outside of the super-fan box to offer verifiable impartial thoughts and forecasts. I absolutely commend all of you for your intensive knowledge and what you bring to the table and totally appreciate that. Sincere thanks to all of you.
On the other hand, the "fans" who never recognize any improvements or positive momentum and are "intellectually and emotionally sufficient to except reality"— that we are forever ill-fated to permanent mediocrity due to being helpless before the incompetent , penny pinching BoT.... are contributing a dull cynicism which creates a toxic energy and makes us look like a soft, fair-weather fan base. It's gotten to the point that I can feel the joy spilling out of these sulks each time we turn the ball over, get a penalty and so forth because it enforces their beliefs. Some of our cis "fans" are more prepared to ******** during our misfortunes than the fan base of whatever given team that we're playing. It's disturbing. While it's in every case great to analyze mishaps in order to address them moving forward , (that being a football program or as a person )there is additionally an almost negligible difference between being level headed and being a hopeless, prideful curmudgeon who would prefer to be correct then to see our Canes back on top.
We already shut down the troll’s thread

NIck Saban and Urban Meyer aren't leaving their jobs to come to Miami. Neither is Dabo Swinney (a guy MIami fans would have wanted fired after his first two seasons). I don't know what other miracle worker is out there that's going to snap his fingers and turn Miami into the the 1980's version of Miami again. I always want whatever guy we have to succeed because every time you replace a coaching staff, you're starting all over again and setting the program back a couple of more years. It's literally in every Miami fan's best interest for Manny Diaz to be as successful as possible because hoping he fails so he can be replaced by ??? only means it's going to be another two to three years of rebuilding.

Advertisement
I remember when CMR was still here and we were in the midst of that drama with the OC, QB coach and we'd look over to the defense - which was DOMINATING - and CMD would give his interviews regarding what he thought was going on and everyone lapped it up. There were so many posters in here that thought CMD was so great, gave you great interviews, had fire and tenacity etc. and were completely bought into the the idea he should be the HC in waiting, **** even suggested they should offer the position to him so he wouldn't leave.

He then leaves for Temple, all **** ensues in here because we let him get away and as quickly as we hired him back...all **** ensues that we hired the wrong guy, didn't do a search, yada yada yada. It's always the next guy in here: next HC, next QB, next OC where the f*ck are these people? I just don't get ***
The truth is people seem to believe more in potential, for whatever reason, than reality. People are already saying lashlee is gone next year, likens is the oc in waiting and t rob or shoop will be the next dc.
My problem with the manny hire, regardless of how it works out, is we did the same thing we always do, barely put any work in to it and try to Hire a first timer or find a bargain. diaz was essentially the 5th lazy hire in a row, though the richt hire was justified, he was obviously burned out. The fact that 1 out of 5 might work out doesn’t mean the AD‘s have done a good job.

NIck Saban and Urban Meyer aren't leaving their jobs to come to Miami. Neither is Dabo Swinney (a guy MIami fans would have wanted fired after his first two seasons). I don't know what other miracle worker is out there that's going to snap his fingers and turn Miami into the the 1980's version of Miami again. I always want whatever guy we have to succeed because every time you replace a coaching staff, you're starting all over again and setting the program back a couple of more years. It's literally in every Miami fan's best interest for Manny Diaz to be as successful as possible because hoping he fails so he can be replaced by ??? only means it's going to be another two to three years of rebuilding.
This football miracle worker that many want recently lost to Oregon State…

Major schools continue to fail at finding the right coaching fit for sustained success.

Two actually.

In addition to BC they blew a massive lead and were a dropped 2 point conversion from OT against V Tech.

When Bobby died on Saturday, they played a bunch of classic noles games on ACCN. One was in 1999, the first Bowden Bowl. FSU won the national championship that season. They played Clemson, on the road, FSU was 6-0 and Clemson was 3-3. FSU was ranked #1 in the country. They won the game 17-14, on a late Seabass FG, and Clemson missed a 40 yarder with about 2 minutes left to tie the game. FSU only scored 1 TD, with an offense led by the Heisman winner and featuring Peter Warrick and a lot of other good players.

Yes, there was of course a lot of emotion in that game considering it was Bobby vs Tommy for the first time. But FSU was WAY better, won a natty, Clemson sucked, and they could have easily won the game. Winning is hard. When the 1999 FSU team is celebrated, nobody says, "Yeah, but they almost lost to Clemson." Almost doesn't count. Winning games does. Sometimes you lose ones you should win, sometimes you win ones you should lose. But at the end of the day, only 1 team wins. If you do that a lot more than you don't, you're a pretty good football team. The End.

Advertisement
Back