Will Mallory

Some research on high school track times and combine testing----

T. Bandy---

100m--11.07---https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=8477064#!/L0

40 yds right after that ... at national Nike 4.51--his best time of all the combines

Nike Football The Opening

-----------------------

Lamar Miller---

10.75--100m college--https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=1807542#!/L0

10.56--100m high school--https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/SchoolRecords.aspx?SchoolID=15283

40yds.--NFL combine 4.40----https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Miller

---------------------

DJ Dallas

11.30--100m high school--https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=9320743#!/L0

He is a better long jumper for his build --21'6"

---------------------

S, Redwine

11.30--100m--https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=5737143#!/L0

ESPN testing
40--4.77--- Sheldrick Redwine - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

--------------------

Travis Homer

40--4.48

Football Recruiting - Travis Homer - Player Profiles - ESPN

100m--11.50----https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=9462459#!/L0

---------------------

M. Harley

100m--10.78, 200m 21.52, 400m - 48.80 all under the high school national elite times

Michael Harley

40--4.52----http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/205001/mike-harley

----------------------

A. Richards

40--4.68

Football Recruiting - Ahmmon Richards - Player Profiles - ESPN

High school track--participated in one track meet and recorded a 20'3" long jump

Ahmmon-Reshard Richards

-----------------------

Jeff Thomas

40--4.38----http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/190268/jeff-thomas

As a HS freshman ran in a couple of meets and posted a best 100m--11.17
Good breakdown and research on actual times.

Advertisement
40 times are definitely inflated as everyone knows - I like to look at the relative times of each player though. Nice to see the two fastest guys on the team are RBs. And I had no idea Redwine was in the "JT/Harley" range for speed. Good stuff.

You had no idea because Redwine isn't in their range.

Miller didn’t go in the 1st round bc he got tackled too easily. He was physical at times but not close to the level of Homer. Not that much difference in speed, I would say Miller was a little faster but imo Homer is a better overall rb prospect. Hard to say he’ll be a 1st rounder bc he’s a rb but he has 1st round talent.
Man, he got tackled by grass more often than I'd like to recall.

Jordan might be the more highly-rated player, and perhaps ahead of Mallory physically. However, there's a chance that Mallory is ahead of Jordan mentally and gets on the field ahead of Jordan. You really never know how a kid will react to playing at the next level. Jordan may also become the starter on day 1 as many expect, but I think Mallory gets forgotten a bit being in Jordan's shadow. If he's 225 now then he'll likely be 230-235 by August.

Jordan might be the more highly-rated player, and perhaps ahead of Mallory physically. However, there's a chance that Mallory is ahead of Jordan mentally and gets on the field ahead of Jordan. You really never know how a kid will react to playing at the next level. Jordan may also become the starter on day 1 as many expect, but I think Mallory gets forgotten a bit being in Jordan's shadow. If he's 225 now then he'll likely be 230-235 by August.
No one is being forgotten behind Jordan period. I think Everyone should be equally as high on both of the players as you don’t often get players this talented at the same position especially at tight end

Advertisement
No one is being forgotten behind Jordan period. I think Everyone should be equally as high on both of the players as you don’t often get players this talented at the same position especially at tight end

I flipped open a Street & Smith's rag at the grocery store the other day and they have Jordan listed as the starter.

Doesn't mean much but Jordan seems to be getting more hype.

The timing says Redwine is in their range in a straight ahead 40, though.
Redwine takes bad angles that leave him out of position and make him look slower than he (apparently) is. He isn't physical enough either, for a guy that is (apparently) so strong in the weight room.

I've been knocking Red since his freshman year. Hoping he proves me wrong this year.

On a separate note: I only glanced over the weight room numbers, but, not surprisingly, it looks like the seniors are leading the way. It makes it that much more impressive that Deejay's name is everywhere.

I made a thread the other day about negging people when I scroll by accident. You responded. We laughed. I went to scroll ITT & it negged someone again, which just happened to be you. Thought it was funny. (It does allow me to undo reactions)

Really a bunch of nothing, merely coincidence. Move along, disregard.

/They say the best jokes are the ones you have to explain..

:snoopfacepalm:
Now I am tracking. You are correct...solid joke...terrible audience (me).

Advertisement
Film has nothing to do with A TIMED 40 YARD DASH.

Now, if you want to say that in the past he hasn’t PLAYED with that speed than that is accurate, but that would make your initial statement false because your using a timed 40 to talk about football speed and you can’t do it that way.

Track speed = track speed
Football speed - football speed
Track speed ≠ football speed

The original comment said "And I had no idea Redwine was in the "JT/Harley" range for speed." I don't care what his 40 times say, he is not in their range of speed. End of story. For the record I have nothing against Redwine. I think he is a good safety, he just isn't anywhere near the athlete someone like Thomas is. To be frank, I think his 40 was timed poorly. I hope at the combine he proves me wrong.

1. I think you’re going to have to define what “range for speed” means because I don’t think I follow.

I don’t believe we can just refuse to believe things when the facts say differently. How many people thought Dee Delaney was faster than Berrios? But when you compare Delaney’s combine-timed 40 to Berrios’ Pro day 40, Delaney’s looks superior. Is Delaney in Berrios’ range or not? Again, I’m trying to figure out what you mean by that, or as you pointed out, what the OP meant by that.

I don’t rule out that he may have been timed poorly - I regard hand-timed football 40’s as at best a gauge - but that wouldn’t necessarily explain why he’s also one of the best at the 20 yard shuttle ( which could have also been timed incorrectly, I concede).

It’s also possible that Redwine was the only one timed correctly and all the others were timed poorly. Just saying.

They're called pads. It is why the 40 and similar metrics are dumb as ****.

Anyone who thinks Redwine has Harley or Thomas speed is smoking crack.

1. I think you’re going to have to define what “range for speed” means because I don’t think I follow.

I don’t believe we can just refuse to believe things when the facts say differently. How many people thought Dee Delaney was faster than Berrios? But when you compare Delaney’s combine-timed 40 to Berrios’ Pro day 40, Delaney’s looks superior. Is Delaney in Berrios’ range or not? Again, I’m trying to figure out what you mean by that, or as you pointed out, what the OP meant by that.

I don’t rule out that he may have been timed poorly - I regard hand-timed football 40’s as at best a gauge - but that wouldn’t necessarily explain why he’s also one of the best at the 20 yard shuttle ( which could have also been timed incorrectly, I concede).

It’s also possible that Redwine was the only one timed correctly and all the others were timed poorly. Just saying.

I actually would put Delaney and Berrios speed in the same range. Berrios is not a burner, he's more quick than fast. When I think of Thomas I think of elite speed. So if you do not have elite speed, then you are not in his range of speed IMO.

You have to be more clear when you say speed.

If you’re saying football speed, then from what I’ve seen in the past I agree with you. Maybe we’ll see a new Redwine this year, I don’t know.
If you’re talking about when they were timed in the Spring of 2018 then Redwine (4.38) is AS FAST as Harley (4.38) and Thomas (4.37).

Those are the facts.

The entire argument is dumb though.

There isn't a man in here who can tell me Devin Hester in a straight line in his prime would be caught from beyond. He **** sure never had the fastest 40 time in CFB or NFL history.

They need to run all these things in full gear. They always play in pads. ALWAYS. It is blatantly unrealistic. It's like the OTA's for the NFL where you hear so and so is blazing past everyone in basketball shorts and by cut number 3 he's off the team.

Just dumb all around and a waste of time.

Advertisement
There should be a 40 while being chased by a bear, in pads. I call it the Danny Boy Time. DBT, for short. How fast can they run if their life depends on it? That is all that really matters.

For the record, the pads will be for the player. The bear can wear whatever it wants, or doesn't want.

I wouldn’t disagree that 40’s should be run in full gear. But, I also don’t believe a straight ahead 40 gives the best information. Example: Anthony Schwartz ran 10.09(A) in Albuquerque 2 weekends ago and Mark Pope ran 10.57 a month ago, but Pope looks incredibly faster on a Football field and I would say the same for a Hester, Moss, etc.

But as long as the timing mechanism is consistent it means that we have a data point that can be measured (even if it doesn’t tell us a whole lot about their football ability - which is different). And that’s why the argument becomes dumb.

Hand timed is never good. Human error.

Get me lasers.

Advertisement
He's nothing to get giddy about as a freshman. What can a skinny freshman Tight End possibly give you? Marshall once had a tight end named Cody Slate who actually did it weighing below 230:
View attachment 60565

But, this is Miami and homie is not playing against chump teams.

I hope he balls, but not many 'kids' can't do what Cody Slate or Issac Nauta have done.
When i see Will Mallory....I see former Penn State Mike Gesicki....in terms of frame and build especially this early on....and they will use Mallory similar to how Gesicki was used at least early on in Will's career until the weight and more importantly the strength comes and it will come....mainly lined up in the slot and in space and dare i say motion out of the backfield....elite athleticism for his position and good hands gets this guy on the field immediately with Brevin...

When i see Will Mallory....I see former Penn State Mike Gesicki....in terms of frame and build especially this early on....and they will use Mallory similar to how Gesicki was used at least early on in Will's career until the weight and more importantly the strength comes and it will come....mainly lined up in the slot and in space and dare i say motion out of the backfield....elite athleticism for his position and good hands gets this guy on the field immediately with Brevin...

Please refrain from ever comparing any UM player to any Penn State player.

Thanks.

Please refrain from ever comparing any UM player to any Penn State player.

Thanks.
Gesicki is arguably the most athletic tight end if not one of to come out college in a number of years. He put on an absolute freak show at the combine

Advertisement
Back