Will Mallory

Jordan has a lot more going on downstairs. Mallory will get there but I don't imagine he'll be used in-line a ton this early.

DiwLoN_VMAA82pX.jpg
wait what.........lol

Advertisement
This was touched on in another thread the other day, but we saw a hint of it a few times last season. The thing with these guys is it will allow us to run tempo and lock a defense into mismatches.

You take 21 personnel and you can force a team into a 4-3 look with both TEs anchored to the line. Then with that same personnel you can shift Brevin to H-back for some inside power or extra pass blocking. Split Mallory out wide for a 3 wide 1 TE set. Split them both out wide for a 4 wide shotgun set, or even take a guy like DeeJay and motion him out wide for a 5 wide empty. Richards and Thomas out wide with Brevin and Mallory and DeeJay out there with them...against 3 Lbs...what are you going to do against that? If the Lbs bail into coverage, Rosier's just gonna tuck it and kill them with that Read Draw we had so much early success with last season.

Exactly what I would've said.
As a DC, this is a mis-match nightmare. And IMO it's the reason big/athletic TE's are so dangerous (and coveted).
When you get to the level of football where teams start "personneling" (NCAA & NFL) Offensive Coordinators use these big athletic MF'ers to their advantage.

Obviously you understand this but the average fan probably doesn't.
When the offense sends TE's onto the field I have no choice but to send 3 LB's. (and possibly other run-stopping personnel)
But if those athletic TE's split-out, I've got big/hulking LB's covering them in space. (and possibly slow pass rushers)
If I sub an extra DB in, but you bring those TE's onto the line, now I'm weak against the run.

Fvckin' football, man! Such a strategic game.

I think it's gonna take a defensive evaluation in order to counteract this strategy. DC's are gonna need to start recruiting/developing/wishing for 6'3"-6'4" 245-255 pound LB's that can match-up with these TE's on and off the LOS. (and what are the chances of finding guys like that?)
Like a Tremaine Edmunds type of athlete.

Advertisement
As a DC, this is a mis-match nightmare. And IMO it's the reason big/athletic TE's are so dangerous (and coveted).
When you get to the level of football where teams start "personneling" (NCAA & NFL) Offensive Coordinators use these big athletic MF'ers to their advantage.

When the offense sends TE's onto the field I have no choice but to send 3 LB's. (and possibly other run-stopping personnel)
But if those athletic TE's split-out, I've got big/hulking LB's covering them in space. (and possibly slow pass rushers)
If I sub an extra DB in, but you bring those TE's onto the line, now I'm weak against the run.

I think it's gonna take a defensive evaluation in order to counteract this strategy. DC's are gonna need to start recruiting/developing/wishing for 6'3"-6'4" 245-255 pound LB's that can match-up with these TE's on and off the LOS. (and what are the chances of finding guys like that?)
Plus we can run tempo so the D can’t sub unless we move the sticks.

This was touched on in another thread the other day, but we saw a hint of it a few times last season. The thing with these guys is it will allow us to run tempo and lock a defense into mismatches.

You take 21 personnel and you can force a team into a 4-3 look with both TEs anchored to the line. Then with that same personnel you can shift Brevin to H-back for some inside power or extra pass blocking. Split Mallory out wide for a 3 wide 1 TE set. Split them both out wide for a 4 wide shotgun set, or even take a guy like DeeJay and motion him out wide for a 5 wide empty. Richards and Thomas out wide with Brevin and Mallory and DeeJay out there with them...against 3 Lbs...what are you going to do against that? If the Lbs bail into coverage, Rosier's just gonna tuck it and kill them with that Read Draw we had so much early success with last season.
Great post, my man.......really good ****!
Side note: I thought 12 personnel was the grouping that consist of 2 tight ends.

Advertisement

Is that the purpose of our “striker” position? A player that can cover and play in the box?

Advertisement
Reg, if you happen to be a big black dude, this is more perfect than you know. Because I am indeed a small skinny white dude. I’m 5-5. That’s both my height, and my 40.
LMAO. I am indeed black. Im 6'2 but I'm not the biggest of guys.......about 190 give a take 3 lbs.
*the + or - 3 lbs is contingent on whether or not its Krispy Kreme day*

Totally diff physical build than Jordan, but I just can't see how any player on any defense can pick him up and have a chance against this dude!

Richt’s Championship FSU offenses used to shift between a 21 shotgun look with the RB and FB next to the QB, and a power I formation presnap; something I always though was a nice wrinkle when you’re running tempo and have a team on their heels. You’ll know he’s comfortable with the offense and vice versa once those wrinkles are added, but at this stage I’m sure he just wants to see crisp execution.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back